Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Olimpi
United States
Dacula
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I hit the wall.

I have All the deluxe and pack expansions up through the Heirs of Numenor expansion (I don't have any of the "Against the Shadow" Adventure Packs yet. I essentially get slaughtered very early in the first quest "Peril in Pelagir" (I never have made it out of the "Leaping Fish" alive (5 attempts, each with a different, combat-heavy, deck. I like a challenge, but feel that this is an enormous step up. The only strategy help I can find actually involves owning the rest of the cycle first. Does anyone have an deck constructions/strategies that work WITHOUT having to buy all the other Adventure packs first? (I'll probably get them anyway, but surely they can't be mandatory to win the quests).

Thanks!

P.S. - I have checked Ringsdb and others for deck constructs, and either they required cards from later APs or they weren't effective when I attempted the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the Strategy forum specifically for Heirs of Numenor here on BGG you'll see some decks / strategy for the scenarios for the box at the time of release. Definitely was found to be beatable at the time - just requires totally different deck building than before, that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
Take a look at the Strategy forum specifically for Heirs of Numenor here on BGG you'll see some decks / strategy for the scenarios for the box at the time of release. Definitely was found to be beatable at the time - just requires totally different deck building than before, that's all.

Good advice, i.e. this thread seems interesting.

Peril in Pelagir is brutal. Especially the nasty treacheries can totally wreck your, at this point probably already heavily bruised, party. I had pretty good experiences with playing it two-handed solo though. I think you want to have Spirit's Treachery cancellation in any way but also need enough fighting power. Tactics Boromomir really shines in the HoN expansion, so does Spirit-Glorfindel (besides the fact that they always do ).

Unfortunately I can not say more about your case because I built decks with cards from the whole cycle when approaching this quest. Maybe jump right to Into Ithilien and give this one a try, I liked it way more than Peril in Pelagir.

I wish you fun and may you beat the quest(s) soon! For Gondor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Noordhoorn
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as the OP, just started Heirs while not having purchased any of the adventure packs yet. I was able to win Peril in Pelagir on my second solo attempt but I have a feeling that was due to exceedingly lucky card draw rather than skill on my part. I'll probably tweak my tactics/spirit deck and give it a few more tries before I break down and start buying the rest of the packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X C
Canada
flag msg tools
Thus far, I have played every quest I own progression style only (i.e., restricting deck-building to the cards available at the time a particular expansion was released).

Yes, the Heirs of Numenor and Against the Shadow quests can be exceptionally brutal... all except Encounter at Amon Din (which is easy) took my patience and resolve to the limit -- especially Into Ithilien and The Morgul Vale. I quite enjoyed The Steward's Fear, Siege at Cair Andros and The Blood of Gondor. I'm currently playing through the Ringmaker cycle and was glad to see the designers eased off on the difficulty a bit for that cycle.

My win ratio against Peril in Pelargir, straight solo progression style, is 2/9 with a deck using Glorfindel (Sp), Boromir (T), and Beregond (T) as heroes. So not a stellar success rate.

Success ratio of 2/4 playing 2-handed progression style with decks using the following heroes: deck 1 - Glorfindel (S), Boromir (T), and Beregond (T); deck 2 - Aragorn (L), Bilbo Baggins (L), and Denethor (L).

As I recall, getting Song of Wisdom and A Burning Brand on Boromir and Beregond is critical to success. Ally Arwen can help boost Beregond or Boromir's defence (better to boost Boromir and grant him Sentinel if playing 2-handed), and cards like Master of the Forge and Daeron's Runes can help you get Song of Wisdom and A Burning Brand in your hand quickly, as can the Imladris Stargazer (and Bilbo Baggins, if playing 2-handed/2-player).

And, it goes without saying, that A Test of Will and Hasty Stroke are essential. Don't see Asfaloth in my decks, but in hindsight, he should have been to help break location locks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
We hit the same wall about a year and a half ago, and haven't picked the game back up. We got to the second mission in the deluxe expansion; maybe the third, but I know for sure we didn't beat the third.

The combination of archery, power-creeped enemies, and need to use combat-oriented characters for questing (while still keeping willpower available) slowed us down.

And it was so demoralizing that we only tried twice, after playing through all the things leading up to it (and enjoyed those, even with failures). A real shame too because I liked some of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another note about those quests:

I think Gondorian Shield is pretty much one of the key cards to bring along with Beregond and Tactics-Boromir if you decide for a Tactics deck. With Gondorian Shield you can change Beregond into a 6 Defense tank and/or Tactics Boromir into a 4 defense readying "power tap" defender.

Unfortunately this card is from The Steward's Fear adventure pack. I think it should have definitely gone into the deluxe expansion instead.
This is probably the problem with the developers playtesting the cards of a whole cycle and then just distribute them to the different adventure packs like it seems to be the case as mentioned in another thread.

I totally understand that it frustrates you, Andrew, that you have the feeling you have to buy the whole cycle in order to have the needed cards. But maybe just proxy this one and some cards you really want to try out for the quests if you don't mind doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Wu
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned how amazingly effective Eagles are for this quest. I logged a 60% win rate using a Tactics/Spirit eagles deck with Boromir, Beregond and Glorfindel (and Radagast to help get the eagles out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.