Subject: Trogs win twice in the 4 player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I showed up at Don’s place, they were playing Cry Havoc . Craig was the Machines, Jean was the Pilgrims while Don was the humans. They let me join right away, which was nice of them. Don explained the game to me, and told me to play the Trogs. Player order was myself, Craig, Jean and Don.

The event was to allow everyone to draw a tactics card, and I drew a desert tactic card. On the first turn, I said I was going to recruit 3 Trogs. Craig told me the best move would be to move, and trigger all the Trog tokens on the board to put more Trogs on the board; Don added that recruiting would be a waste with the Trogs. So listening to their advice, I used three movement points and moved to the non-occupied Trog tokens towards Don. I did this on the second turn, and luckily, I had my score card in my hand. I was fighting three battles, one against each opponent. Don got 10 humans on the board on turn 1, helped by the event token that he drew. So in the battles, I decided to focus on Craig and Jean since I probably didn’t have much hope against Don.
Craig looked dangerous as the machines, so if I could hold him off for enough turns, I might make it. I was able to hold 2 areas against Craig and Jean, losing one to Don. My scoring card gave me something like 6 pts for areas, and adding the crystal count (halved for the Trogs) and battle wins my total score was 21. Don got 7, Jean was 4, Craig was 3.
Since my first round score was above 12, this made the game a 4 round game, rather than the 5 round game which favoured me, preventing any long term crystal build up from the Pilgrims.

So I had to hold off for 3 turns against the other 3 players. What made Don keep it close was his human card which gave him 1 pt per area he controlled and all he had to do was discard a card to play it once a round.

I decided to hunker down and draw tactics cards to fight in the right terrain. I barely had enough actions to use the factory action, getting one trap onto the board where I had 9 crystals beside my home base. On the other hand, Craig got down snipers and was picking off my adjacent Trogs. Don got down some artillery (counts 2 towards the extermination in combat), so I was afraid I wasn’t going to hold out.

Don used his scoring card in turn 3, and was only about 5 pts behind me, and I was able to win some battles against Craig and Jean to maintain my lead over Don.

I was able to keep Jean and Craig on the outside, but Don got an invasion force of 6 into the inner ring, threatening my 9 crystal area. Going first in turn 4, I made the play to move in 3 Trogs to lock down those 6 humans so they couldn’t attack. That secured my 9 crystal area. On the last turn, I finally used the tunnels to good effect, moving to unoccupied edge areas and summoning more Trogs and crystals.

Scores: Norbert 63, Don 55, Jean 32, Craig 27.

I am the Trogs (green), Don is the humans (yellow), Jean is the Pilgrims (blue) while Craig is the Machines (red). The 9 crystal area is beside the 3 humans, but I had locked them down when there were 6 humans there to prevent any further incursion.

Game 2: Don said we should move one seat to the right so we could all experience new races. Player order was Craig (Trogs), Jean (Machines), Don (Pilgrims), and myself (Humans). The event I believe took away a couple of crystals from the area beside the Trog base. Craig’s plan was to just hunker down in the inner ring, so he moved there and built up some forces. He had his scoring card as well, and scores after turn 1 were Craig 14, Norbert 8, Don 7, Jean 4. Craig was unhappy comparing this result to the last game in round 1, but he made the smart play of paying 2 VPs and taking away a prisoner from Don and Jean (that’s something I didn’t do last game), giving him more Trogs in play. The 14 pts scored also meant that the game was going 4 rounds rather than 5.

Jean, Don and myself tried to coordinate separate attacks into the inner ring, rather than the unfocused attacks on the Trogs in game 1. Craig hunkered down on the inner rings, setting traps and placing a tunnel, which I didn’t do much of in game 1. I got down an artillery to attack into an inner ring for next round.

On turn 3, Craig used his scoring card again to go up to 37 pts, while I was at 31 pts. I don’t think we are experienced enough to know that our scoring cards will deny the control points to other players, so that’s something one of us could have done to deny the Trogs around 6 pt in control makers. I didn’t have my scoring card in my hand, I think I got it in turn 2 and discarded it.

On turn 4, I think Craig could have secured the victory by locking down my 4 human force that was threatening him at the outer edge. Craig had moved via tunnels to the outer regions and there were 4 crystals there. I decided to attack him in the outer region, but that would mean only the battle cards from your 8 hand set could be used. I think I had the option to attack him in the inner ring as well. Before I moved in built an artillery to put in an 2 artillery shell (on separate turns) into area, before moving in. This turned out to be a mistake. He had 3 Trogs, I had 3 humans. There was already one artillery shell in there (to exterminate 2 Trogs), and what I should have done was put in a watchtower to put in a watchtower token to give me an edge on the control of the area, or instead of building the artillery, simply put a watchtower to put 2 tokens in; I thought I could use my battle card to move an artillery token to the area control of the battle board, but Don said I couldn’t when the battle came up. This ended up giving the victory to Craig as he put all 3 Trogs on the control, and the defender breaks ties, so I placed the Humans to take a prisoner. I did get 3 pts for killing his 3 units, but he got 2 pts for the area, and 2 pts for gems. Contrast that if I had 2 watchtower tokens, I get 2 pts for the area and 4 pts for the gems and Craig doesn’t gain those 4 pts. Don surprised everyone by getting 9 pts at the end using his Pilgrim ability. I wasn’t sure how he generated that many crystals in 4 rounds.

Scores: Craig 55, Don 51, Norbert 51, Jean 17.

Craig is the Trogs (green), Don is the Pilgrims (blue), I am the Humans (yellow) while Jean is the machines (blue). The outer edge area to the right beside the human base was our 3 on 3 battle, but Craig keeps the control marker to give him the win.

This is a good asymmetric power game. I especially like the combat system where you can play tactics cards (if you have the right card for the right terrain) to shift units around. There are lots to think about and I was surprised how fun this game was to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So. 4 player, Troggs win, Machines last..by a long way. Mirrors our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If it's an issue for you, perhaps try playing the rule (which is an official way to play the game now in the updated rulebook, the way shown above is listed as a 'variant') where you always play to 5 rounds.

This will help the Machines/Pilgrims and hinder the Trogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.