Hide
3 Posts

Triumph & Tragedy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Another win for the Axis ( short report ) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Playing our first game under second edition rules I got the Axis again.
I decided to go for the diplomatic game and had nonagression pacts in the West and the East.
Both could be cancelled earliest in Summer 38 for the next year and from then on every Summer for the next year.
This means in our metagame a man/ woman is as good as his/her word.
I started with 7 diplo cards and 4 inv. cards and got Greece, Austria and Romania as satellites in 36.
From there I conquered Denmark, Bulgaria and Yugoslavia and got Hungary, Cz and Latin America by diplomacy.
Turkey, US, Poland and low countries had a protectorate max. status.
The Axis was bound by treaty not to intervene in US.
The West went for industry and units.
Russia was diplomatically quite active and got Spain and Portugal and added Persia by conquest until 40.
In Summer 39 I cancelled the treaty with West because I had 2 US diplo cards in hand and wanted to see the West work a little for its great prize.
After conquering Persia Russia redeployed its troops westward and India stayed very lightly defended ( 3 small units ) till about 43.
I am not sure if Russia misssed the win there.
Beginning with 42 the West and Russia started to team up duplomatically against me in Turkey and Poland which was appropriate since I was leading in production.
War broke out in 45 when the West Dowed Russia to grab Spain and Portugal and Russia had to dow me because resources was my lowest production total.
In the total the Axis won with 25 before the West 21 and Russia 20.
It was a "friendly" but very interesting game which was decided by luck "action card draw and peace dividends" and some minor mistakes from the West in the endgame.
We wanted to play the discarding of technology variant ( if all 3 major powers have them ) but didnt do it because atom tech needs obviously to beexcepted and there are some unclear implications with heavy bombers and motorized inf.
The tech spread was very wide.
Axis: Rocked inf, home defense radar and atom 1
Russia: Precicion bomb., hvy. tanks and home defene radar.
West:
Sonar, Jets, hvy. bombers and home defense radar.

One problem:
Under 2end edition rules the blockade is not counted at the end for the hegemonial victory which lead to the result that west can dow whoever he wants in 45 without repercussions from blockade.
It seems this rule neeeds some more work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
haeberich wrote:

One problem:
Under 2end edition rules the blockade is not counted at the end for the hegemonial victory which lead to the result that west can dow whoever he wants in 45 without repercussions from blockade.
It seems this rule neeeds some more work.

Intesting read. Just played my first game, a learning game, and we got to end of year 2 before calling it stops due to time. Everyone was starting to get the rules down and things were going smoother. Our game was very aggressive with all 3 factions being at war with someone by the end of year 2. lol

Can you give an example of what you mean with West DOW in 45? So he can declare war in Fall 45 without having to deal with blockade repercussions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Under 2nd editition rules to decide who won at the end of the game you calculate production totals for production phase 46 without blockade effects.
This was intended to avoid 45 Dow's on the West as a "cheapo" way to reduce the Wests production base for the end calculation.
Now we have the problem that the West can Dow the Axis in 45 ( if resources should be the limiting factor ) without repercussions from the "self inflicted" blockade.

Its normal to have very agressive games when all players are new to the game.

Follow my opening theorie strategy articles to see how my playing style has changed over time,

Enjoy the game and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.