Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz Sroka
Poland
Pawłowice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Has anyone of you experienced such a thing, that when you opened the box there was a strange smell of mustiness or something like that? What I want to say is that my player and faction boards started to bend after I had opened the box. At the beginning everything looked just fine (apart from that smell), but after a few days the cardboard started to bend (player boards looked as if they were "smiling") and to my horror, the main board itself dried off in some parts and bubbles of air appeared and it also started to bend. My publisher has assured me that they will send me a new board - cool! I tried to "mend" the player boards under some books and it's worked. And I hope they'll stay straight from now on. So... my question is: has any of you, here in Europe, who bought the game in the last weeks noticed similar "activities' with your games (boards)? I suppose that when the game was ready but still not dried up completely, the manufacturer placed the elements in boxes and sent, to catch up deadline. But that's my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Warping is common. I don't think that I've had a musty smell.

Here's an example from my copy of At the Gates of Loyang:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Sroka
Poland
Pawłowice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... in quite a few games some of the elements tend to warp, that's true. But in terms of main boards, mine looks terrible. And I believe it is not a common thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Cry Havoc players reported a bad smell in their boxes, but I can't remember if they also had warping. Could be there was a bad batch or cardboard produced, or maybe too much glue applied to the boards - that could maybe cause some warping once it was out of the confines of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathis Lurtz
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the smell-problem with my copy of Galaxy Truckers (Anniversary ed.). It took about 2 years to completely fade, but it is gone now.

Stonemeyer Games are really helpful, I assume you will get your board exchanged without any hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Sroka
Poland
Pawłowice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've heard about Cry Havoc smell. But nothing tends to warp in those boxes. It might be just the way you wrote, but I am curious if anyone has encountered such a surprise in their boxes, as I have. It's more like a survey, to gather information.

@Yoven, I've already spoken to our publisher and they told me that I'll get a replacement board. So I am not worried if that is what you had in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans-Joerg Gross
Germany
Black Forest
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tomasz,
I posess the german version of Scythe since 2 weeks. In my box was no mustiness smell and no board (neither game- nor player-) bends. All is thankfully in best condition.
I hope, the publisher solve your problems in a fast time so you can play this wonderful game without troubles.
Have a nice day
Hans-Joerg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_hamish wrote:
Well... in quite a few games some of the elements tend to warp, that's true. But in terms of main boards, mine looks terrible. And I believe it is not a common thing...

I'm definitely not trying to say that the bending shown in my photo is comparable to the problem you have. Sorry if I came off that way. I'm glad to hear that you have already been in contact with us and are getting the board replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Sroka
Poland
Pawłowice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hajott59 wrote:
Hi Tomasz,
I posess the german version of Scythe since 2 weeks. In my box was no mustiness smell and no board (neither game- nor player-) bends. All is thankfully in best condition.
I hope, the publisher solve your problems in a fast time so you can play this wonderful game without troubles.
Have a nice day
Hans-Joerg

Currently I am waiting for the new main board so I'm cool. Thanks for being supportive Hans.

mortenmdk wrote:
I'm definitely not trying to say that the bending shown in my photo is comparable to the problem you have. Sorry if I came off that way. I'm glad to hear that you have already been in contact with us and are getting the board replaced.

I've just noticed that you're from StoneMaier... There's no need to apologize, I clearly understood your intention. All in all this is the thing that should not have happened and that's one of the reasons I am asking. The second reason is already known to you. As I mentioned earlier my publisher is very supportive and offered help straight away. They even gave me a phone call. I am really happy that this community itself is supportive as well. So thank you.

And... if anyone finds some issues concerning their copies of Scythe feel free to leave your comment here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomasz: Thanks for sharing this (and I'm glad that Phalanx has been helpful), and I'm sorry about the extreme warping/bubbling on your game board. I can't recall that happening before, but it's possible. A big part of game manufacturing these days is making sure all the components are dry and stay dry throughout the production and shipping process, but I'm sure there are occasionally cracks in that process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Sroka
Poland
Pawłowice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey: thanks for your reply. Yes, Phalanx shows its best and I am extremely happy that they reacted very quickly... I didn't even have the time to make myself a cup of tea. As you said, shit happens. All I can say is to wish everyone dry elements in their boxes and hope my example would be the one and only. Best regards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.