5 Posts

The Oracle of Delphi» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant: Fight only against monsters on top of the stack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I came up with the idea of this variant, because the rules on fighting monsters are not too explicit. Intuitively, I thought that it is only possible to fight the monster on top of the stack. Otherwise, why should monster tiles be that big and not placed next to each other like other stuff in the game.

However, this is nonsense because of many reasons. First, the game implicitly says that you have to have an appropriate Zeus tile, if you want to fight a monster. So, if an inappropriate monster is on top of the stack, this could block you from continuing the game. And second, even if you could fight an inappropriate monster in order to remove it, this could break the game for others, because a necessary monster is missing then.

Despite all that, I still like the idea that the order of monsters is influencing your plans. I also like the fact that monsters on top of another monster you need can be a blocker (at least a little bit). This could provide a bit more of strategic depth to the game and slightly increase player interaction. Therefore, I've created this simple variant.

Variant:

You can only fight the monster, which is on top of the stack.
However, you are also allowed to fight a monster, which is not challenged by your remaining Zeus tiles.

If you defeat a monster, which is not challenged, you will not take it as a reward, but you will place it back on its tile. However, it will be placed at the bottom of the stack.

Thematically:
Without the demand of Zeus, you will not have the power to defeat a mythological creature, but you can expel it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Zeeb
Germany
flag msg tools
As you have mentioned, the order of the monsters might completely block the game for one or more players - so this is not a useful option for the standard rules.

As more people have made the assumption that the order would matter, we will likely specify this in the second edition of the rules.

As to your question why the monster tiles are that big: This is more beuatiful and more practical. Making them so small that 3 would fit onto one island would make them very tiny and thus hard to distinguish from the offerings AND you would also lose them easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, you might think about adding the variant as well

We play tested it just once and it was not a big deal, but it happened once that one was "blocked" and this took him an additional round. We liked it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Van Hoecke
Belgium
Hulshout
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rule that you can't fight the same monster twice should be highlighted.

Now I might be wrong but these are my thoughts:
Fighting the monster is the only luck-based task. If you fail dedeating the op one by rolling really badly (a few "0"s for example) then you would still have to fight 2 monsters which doesn't seem favorable at all in a racing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All tasks in this game are luck based, at least indirectly. If you decide to do a specific task, but you are not there yet and you draw problematic cards (also wounds etc.), this easily takes another turn then.

In general, you are right, of course. However, as I said, this just adds another thing you have to think about. Shall I fight monsters immediately, because needed ones are on top, or shall I wait with the risk that others take them and I have to choose inconvenient ones? Or shall I wait until the game is almost finished and the other players are done with their monsters. Then it should be easy to pick the rest. Player interaction and watching others improves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.