2 Posts

Dien Bien Phu: The Final Gamble» Forums » Strategy

Subject: My first Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorgen Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
To be sure there are no way to play this and be sure to win every time, but some things I did "learn" after my first Campaign. It ended between 6th and 8th of May with the VM swarming all over the central area and the strongpoint track down to 3 ( and 11 VM-taken during this last turn)……but just one die roll in the previous turn prevented the Laos-rescue force from reaching the battlefield and that just might have changed the outcome….the hallmark of an excellent design.
VM: By always trying to capture just enough strongpoints and minimizing losses to keep the morale high was a good choice….using rest when possible ( without being adjacent to the French helped a lot). That way morale was "5" for all divisions for a long time and then in the latter half "4" for all of them until the very end. 2 turns prior to victory I took all the replacements possible and still kept morale at 3 for all divisions. I did not attack Isabelle until late but kept 148 Rgt in 2-304z and they are very hard to dislodge in box combat. Later they had to be replaced with other troops but that just kept the Isabelle-garrision bottled up and in the end also the Laos rescue force.Generally I only attacked in force for 1 og 2 turns before resting a turn. That way you will wear down the French trucks and improve morale by resting AND during attack turns you will make it hard for the French to decide where to help and counterattack.
THE FRENCH: They need all the supply they can get ( and perhaps it was a mistake to use the Laos-force as the supply for them really was needed at DBP….but then again they were only 1 die roll from making it.) You MUST have enough food/bullits all the time. In the early stages I used medicine to make unit combat ready again but with the mounting numbers of wounded towards the end I should perhaps have saved it. No French ammo in the end so next time I think that I only will use artillery on the defensive as they are not that efficient in the offensive.
Having just bought Tonkin I will indulge in that game before having one more go at Dien Bien Phu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great summary!

Get the Living Rules 2.2 for Tonkin as well. Easier to read and grasp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.