BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Economic/German-style game for 7 year old + rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I'm looking for a more economic style of game to get my younger sister for Christmas.

She is 7 years old, clever, and excited by playing boardgames. In the past I've mostly played dexterity games (Animal upon animal) and more imagination based games (Dixit) with her. For her birthday I got her a deduction game (Outfoxed) which was a real treat.

However, given that she enjoyed Sushi Go even before she could understand it, I would like to get her a more 'thoughtful' game. I have considered Zooloretto Junior, Stone Age junior, and My First Carcasonne. But ZJ looks a bit drab and the other two seem like they'll be too simple. If possible I'd like something that she won't get bored of once she turns 8.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a gmae with a German style, but with some exciting flair? (Or anything you'd think fits the bill)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Happy Farm maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelina Lechwar

Swansea
msg tools
mb
I think Agricola: Family Edition will be perfect. Though I haven't got any 7 year old to play board games with, but rules are really simple that I think she will easily understand, but the amount of choices you have guarantee a reply value. And it has cute animeeples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mess with Junior anything..... Regular Zooloreto, Carc, or Stone Age would be fine.

When my kids were that age we also played Carc the Castle, Catan, Dogville, Tikal, and Adel Verpflichtet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko is a great worker placement game. My niece about the same age reall likes it, I mean there's a cute panda and beautifully colorful components. She gleefully beat me the first time we played, even sabatoged one of my plans deliberately, I couldn't have been more proud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildlife Safari
Paris Connection
Patchwork
King Chocolate
The Bridges of Shangri-La

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Animals on Board is a good option, especially if you were considering Zooloretto. The rules are simple to learn and it plays pretty quickly. My 6 year old daughter likes it quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, I recommend Industrial Waste. It's not a children's game, but it sounds as though your 7 year old can handle it.

Each player manages a factory producing a generic product. They bid for raw material; install innovation for greater efficiencies in labor, process, and waste byproduct; manage waste removal to avoid costly hazmat disasters; and pay the work force (and reduce it as innovation reduces the number of workers needed to make the product).

If that sounds complex, it really isn't. Actions are driven by textless cards. The game plays in less than an hour.

IMHO it's one of the very best games modeling general business process, and it's fun for the entire family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
flag msg tools
TedW wrote:
I wouldn't mess with Junior anything..... Regular Zooloreto, Carc, or Stone Age would be fine.

When my kids were that age we also played Carc the Castle, Catan, Dogville, Tikal, and Adel Verpflichtet.

Agreed. You'll get limited play with the junior games.

My almost 7 yr. old daughter loves Catan and Carcassonne. Just play Carcassonne without the farmers.

My 5 yr. old daughter loves Catan (she's evil!) and Dominion. She needs a little bit of help with Dominion, but she gets it, and we'll get tons of play out of it. I'm actually going to buy Dominion Intrigue for Christmas and we have Dominion Prosperity waiting to be opened.

For Christmas I'm going to get them a few games - Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Coloretto, Incan Gold, King of Tokyo, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Sushi Go Party. Should give us lots of quality time together.

For what it's worth, you're a good big brother . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My little one has been able to play Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale since five yrs without removing elements - this version is more accessible and attractive to younger ones i think as they understand how to score the farms easier etc although plays fairly similar. She also loves The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet, Survive: Escape from Atlantis! and The Downfall of Pompeii also and copes with these very well since the same age and are some of the adults favourites. Other games that come out regularly are Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise, River Dragons and Karuba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great, thanks everybody. This is a real help. I think I'm gonna go with Carcassonne, as without farmers that should be easy enough to start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.