Hive» Forums » General

Subject: Tournament Formats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
As I mentioned in another thread there is a very simple method of creating tournaments in Board Game Arena (two currently open https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=8200 and https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=8159, warning the second of those is a long one). So, I thought I would poll for opinions on different formats of tournaments:

Poll
1. What format of tournament do you prefer?
Knock-Out Tournament
Swiss Tournament (play every round)
Round Robin (play every player)
2. How long should a tournament last?
A week
Up to a month
More than a month
3. What game options do you prefer?
  Best option Second best Third best Fourth best Would not play
S (base game)
S-L
S-M
S-P (Just the Pillbug)
S-L-M (Hive Carbon)
S-L-P
S-M-P
S-L-M-P (All expansions)
T (tournament option)
T-L
T-M
T-P
T-L-M
T-L-P
T-M-P
T-L-M-P (all options)
      9 answers
Poll created by RobertBr

Some explanations for the different formats. There are currently three expansions and one semi-official rules change, which gives 16 possible ways you can play the game. I have allowed for people to express their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc and to mark any combinations they would not play:

S/T, S is the standard limit on Queens, that they have to be placed on moves 1 to 4. T is the so-called 'tournament' variant where the Queen cannot be placed on turn 1, introduced because of the tendency towards a draw.
L, is the Ladybird, the first of the expansion pieces
M, is the Mosquito
P, is the Pillbug, which is the expansion piece that has the biggest effect on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.