6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: The Duke or Jarl? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Duke [+] [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I know these two games are the same but is the tiles doing anything speciel that make it better than the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard the movement patterns with Jarl have a tendency to prolong the game beyond what it should be. Seems the comments for the Duke are much more positive in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George C.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you would count this as a plus but The Duke has had several small expansion packs that add new pieces to mix things up and add variety. My favorite are the Robert E Howard pieces.

The Duke: Robert E. Howard Expansion

The Duke: Middle Ages Siege Engines Expansion

The Duke: Musketeers Expansion

..and more..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
In the long run I think the plastic tiles of the Jarl will be more durable than the wood of The Duke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
msg tools
mb
I enjoy both.

Jarl pieces simulate an army designed to move forward. Moving in reverse is cumbersom and all the cool defensive pieces make for a longer game.

The Duke pieces have more limited attack and defence options, but maneuver better.

I would suggest getting both if you can afford to, as you can mix armies. If you can only get one, I would get the Duke. If you think you want both but can only afford one initially then get Jarl first as Catalyst may not be able to keep the IP license forever.

Also, Tom Vasel said Catalyst Game Labs is working on a Japanese game for the series so there will eventually be that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Evil Mime wrote:
I'm not sure if you would count this as a plus but The Duke has had several small expansion packs that add new pieces to mix things up and add variety. My favorite are the Robert E Howard pieces.

The Duke: Robert E. Howard Expansion

The Duke: Middle Ages Siege Engines Expansion

The Duke: Musketeers Expansion

..and more..

If this is going to be a deciding factor, note that many of the Duke expansions seem to be quite difficult to track down these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.