Subject: World War I games for more than 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like the title says. Shout out wargames set in WWI but with player counts higher than two. I realize that limits the field, so feel free to suggest games that aren't really wargames as well. I already know about Wings for the Baron, The Grizzled, Diplomacy, Quartermaster General 1914 (if I can find a copy) and Axis & Allies 1914.

Thanks!

Edit: Also if you would please, titles still in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Just like the title says. Shout out wargames set in WWI but with player counts higher than two. I realize that limits the field, so feel free to suggest games that aren't really wargames as well. I already know about Wings for the Baron, The Grizzled, Diplomacy and Axis & Allies 1914.

Thanks!

Wings of War: Famous Aces + numerous expansions, this system gets upgraded to a minis system here Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack. Great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Lamps Are Going Out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haven't tried this (but ordered it today):
Wings for the Baron (second edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schultz
United Kingdom
Swansea
Swansea
flag msg tools
mb
The new Fatal Alliances from Compass Games is good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Re: World War I games for more than 2 players?Compass Games
Compass Games' Balance of Powers can be played by as many as 7 players (or as few as 1). It's my favourite strategic/operational level game on the whole of the Great War.

It falls squarely into the "war game" category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Scottgun wrote:
so feel free to suggest games that aren't really wargames as well.

I will take you up on that! Here is the best 4-player boardgame with a WWI theme:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies: WWI 1914 thumbsup thumbsup

EDIT: And there is the classic: Diplomacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Scottgun wrote:
so feel free to suggest games that aren't really wargames as well.

I will take you up on that! Here is the best 4-player boardgame with a WWI theme:

Yep. This takes me back to my youth, but I should have specified still in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

Do your research because I don't think this plays well with more than 2 at all. YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

Edit: Also if you would please, titles still in print.

When people say that, I choose to interpret it as "readily available for a similar-to-new-or-lower price". Otherwise, for wargames, you're limited to about 1% of the otherwise readily available titles.

The First World War is a light WW1 strategic game playable by 2-4 players and playable on a weeknight. It is helped by a few house rules to reduce some extreme randomness in the game mechanics but is otherwise a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Do your research because I don't think this plays well with more than 2 at all. YMMV

It's less exciting for the minor powers, but still very playable. And when your buddy leaves the room for some reason you can take over his faction for a turn or two without any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
The First World War is a light WW1 strategic game playable by 2-4 players and playable on a weeknight. It is helped by a few house rules to reduce some extreme randomness in the game mechanics but is otherwise a good game.

seconded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

I had a great experience playing this with 4. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

I own it. No more research needed. Might not be best at 3+ but does work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my opinion The Lamps Are Going Out works better with 3 or 4 players than all the other World War I games with any number of players. Yes, if you are looking for non-stop dice action it plays best with two players, but if your looking for non-stop worrying, thinking and shouting try it with teams. But then again I was one of its playtesters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The First World War plays 2-4; best with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
RAVENBURG wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Sure, but as stated, the OP should do the research. The Russian player has virtually nothing to do all game. I found it incredibly dull, but I love the 2 player game. The AH player his slightly more, but will still be done in about 1/4 of the time his German partner gets to play.

If you want a team game, sure, but you have to play as a partnership, not as 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
RAVENBURG wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Sure, but as stated, the OP should do the research. The Russian player has virtually nothing to do all game. I found it incredibly dull, but I love the 2 player game. The AH player his slightly more, but will still be done in about 1/4 of the time his German partner gets to play.

If you want a team game, sure, but you have to play as a partnership, not as 4 players.

OK... as you replied to my comment, it wasn't clear you were telling the OP to do the research. In this day and age of snarky/sarcastic posts being the norm, I assumed the worst.

Thanks for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Thanks for clarifying.

Hey, no problem

What I'm trying to get at, is that it will depend a lot on how your group plays as to what it will get out of it. I don't feel it works very well as a multiplayer game like 1812: The Invasion of Canada for example.

It does work as a team game though, in the sense that most large or long wargames can be, and much fun will be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Home Before the Leaves Fall: The Marne Campaign 1914 still for sale on Amazon. This monster game would work best with teams I imagine. If you start playing this at someone's house, I guarantee you won't be Home Before the Leaves Fall. There is another title in this series, 1914: Twilight in the East, that would be quite amenable to teams as well, if you can find it.

I am sorry that I cannot think of anything still in print, other than WWI era games such as Imperial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
The Russian player has virtually nothing to do all game.

There's survival, which actually requires skill. They control almost the same number of units as their partner, including the American armies, and it is probably better for the game that they are played by a third player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kaiser's Pirates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could always play a large game of The Great War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drdranetz wrote:
I found Home Before the Leaves Fall: The Marne Campaign 1914 still for sale on Amazon. This monster game would work best with teams I imagine. If you start playing this at someone's house, I guarantee you won't be Home Before the Leaves Fall. There is another title in this series, 1914: Twilight in the East, that would be quite amenable to teams as well, if you can find it.

I am sorry that I cannot think of anything still in print, other than WWI era games such as Imperial.

Home Before The Leaves Fall has been updated by 1914: Offensive à outrance. Besides that game and TITE, there's also 1914: Serbien Muss Sterbien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.