Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Meow
badge
Moooh
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello dungeon-crawlers!

this is not intended to be a thread full of bashes or discussion. I can't stop you, but my intention is simply to gather your opinions regarding game-play, mechanics, immersion etc.

Please try to find something for both sides. E.g. not only name things you dislike but also you like, nor only name things like like but none that you dislike. Think hard !

You can name more but should try to name at least 3 each, on the good and bad side!

Here is a template, thanks for participating!:

The 3 best things about Descent: Journey into the Dark in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

The 3 worst things about Descent: Journey into the Dark in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I'll bite.

Best:

1. Treasure: The treasures in Descent are second to none. Nothing more fun than sprinting to the gold treasure chest and reaping tons of goodness!

2. Hack 'n Slash!: Killing hoards of monsters is quite satisfying, and very dungeon crawlish.

3. Variety: Especially as you mix in the expansions, there's a lot of great variety in this game, from heroes to monsters to treasures to skills to quests etc.

Worst:

1. Spawning: Never really liked the Spawn-outside-LOS rules, it makes for some rather rigid, awkward gameplay from the heroes as they're trying to optimize each turn to keep spawns at bay. Also lead to a good number or LOS arguments.

2. Length: While sometimes I do love the grandious 5hr+ epic games, I also wish there were only 1 or 2 hour long games too. Descent just really didn't have the "short" game, only the "epic" game.

3. Fiddlyness: Hard to get away from this in a dungeon crawl, but there are a lot of moving parts to keep track of and remember, from heroes, skills, items, overlord cards, monsters and their abilities, board effects, LOS, etc. This game is not for the feint at heart.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
Orem
UT
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 best things about Descent: Journey into the Dark in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

1. Epic scope and feel.

2. Upgrading throughout the quest.

3. Overlord play is deeper than any other dungeon crawler that I've played.

The 3 worst things about Descent: Journey into the Dark in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

1. Can be very difficult to get to the table.

2. Can have an anti-climactic ending.

3. Line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
BEST
1. Kevin Wilson for making it.
2. Spazard for making the campaign tracker and ionas for hosting it.
2. My PBF friends.

WORST
1. A seeming shortage of people who dont have the "time" to play. Or when things take up my time.
That's it!

EDIT: changed 2 and 3 to 2 and 2. Equality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AC
United States
flag msg tools
Best
1. Complex game with many interesting tactical choices (from both sides)
2. Fantasy Theme is very immersive with its great art and backdrops
3. I can get my dnd, monster slaying, treasure plundering kicks without having to play improv 101

Worst
1. No new development (maybe its time for a community expansion?)
2. Rule book organization, i play infrequently enough that I need a concise rule book.
3. Fiddiliness, so much so it warrants making ur own work around system

Edit: removed a couple rtl references as jo pointed out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Meow
badge
Moooh
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a dedicated Thread for Road to Legend @acshawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Best

1: Very tactical.
This is not a long-haul repetitive slug-fest dungeon crawl, but a fast-paced game where the heroes can't afford to take a break, where every fatigue point and every skill needs to be used to the full

(1a and competitive! The Overlord has just as many tactical decisions to make in terms of threat and card-play as the heroes. There is nothing more exciting in a tactical game than actually playing against a human player)

2: Huge range of variety in terms abilities, treasure etc
Pulling out four random heroes, generating their skills, and buying them equipment is almost satisfying mini-game in itself.

3: The scale of the production
Nothing is held back in terms of mountains of eye-candy, cardboard, miniatures and general dungeon romp nostalgia

Worst

1: Time.
Everything that is wrong with Descent comes back to this.
By far Descent's biggest problem. Simply way way too long. A single game could easily become 5+ hours

2: Punishing.
A single mistake and less than optimal play, or even bad luck (undying?) can cause huge setback. This in turn leads to lengthy discussions and planning every turn. Which feeds back into point 1. Mitigated slightly by fewer players or a time limit.

3: The basic tactics can become a little repetitive. [run in, cover LoS, kill everything]. Very scenario dependant. And wouldn;t be such a problem if it wasn't for point 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.