Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Meow
badge
Moooh
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello dungeon-crawlers!

this is not intended to be a thread full of bashes or discussion. I can't stop you, but my intention is simply to gather your opinions regarding game-play, mechanics, immersion etc.

Please try to find something for both sides. E.g. not only name things you dislike but also you like, nor only name things like like but none that you dislike. Think hard !

You can name more but should try to name at least 3 each, on the good and bad side!

Here is a template, thanks for participating!:

The 3 best things about Star Wars: Imperial Assault in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

The 3 worst things about Star Wars: Imperial Assault in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Best
United States
Brandon
FL
flag msg tools
Re: The Best and The Worst about: Star Wars: Imperial Assault: Wanted - Your Opinion!
I'd say, best things about Imperial Assault:

1. Potential of the app

2. A new app is coming...

3. Here's hoping it improves the game...

Worst things:

1. Theme feels pasted on. Doesn't feel like Star Wars at all

2. Feels like you're racing when you play. Exciting and yet, unfulfilling.

3. Just not that fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Palacio
United States
suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: The Best and The Worst about: Star Wars: Imperial Assault: Wanted - Your Opinion!
1. Lots of replay value.

2.IT DOES feel like a Star wars game.

3.Good support and fast growing community.

Now, the bad:

1.Too much of a cookie cutter game, however, that is not a major issue for some.

2.It could be very expensive if you "need" or want to add more villain or hero packs.

3.The fact that it does not have the app yet. (hopefully, this gets fixed in a few months or so)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, seeing that I will be continuing our core box campaign later this afternoon:

The Good:

1. There is alot, and I mean ALOT, of game in one box. We have been playing the core box campaign for many, many gaming sessions. The smaller side missions take about 3 hours EACH. The longer story missions can take 5-6 hours EACH. The whole campaign is comprised of 5 story missions and 5 side missions, with the possibility of some Forced Missions extending your campaign (time wise they are equal to a side mission), and I'll let you do the math on how many hours of gameplay is in the box. ...

And than there's skirmish mode. You are getting two games in one box.

2. The combat mechanics are streamlined and very well done. I really like how cover rules are baked into the line of sight rules (you need to trace a line of sight from ONE corner of the box your figure is in, to TWO corners of a box that your target is in. If they are behind a wall and you can only trace to 1 of their corners, than they are in cover. BUT, since they only trace line of sight from one of their corners, they can shoot from where they are. Like they are ducking in and out).

Also like the SURGE mechanic on your combat dice. When you roll them you can activate special abilities/powers that you may have or may be possible with your equipment.

3. We play with the Star Wars soundtrack in the background and the theme just comes alive. Coming from a Star Wars RPG background, this game feels thematic to me. I also like how certain events get triggered in Campaign Missions that stops gameplay so the Imperial player can read a paragraph of something happening. Makes the campaign missions feel less like a skirmish game and more like a story.

4. With the announcement of the APP, we can get a true co-op game and, even better for me, solo play. There are variants that currently use a deck of cards for this, but with an APP, we might get to explore and what not.

The Bad:

1. Juggling 3 books. You have the Starter Rulebook, the Rules Reference and the Campaign Book/Skirmish Guide (these last two are in 2 different manuals, but you will only need 1 depending on what you are playing). I find needing all 3 during play and it can get confusing. I am sure there are ways to mitigate this with rules reference sheets that are int he files section here at the Geek, but thats not in the box.

2. Even the campaign missions are just Skirmish maps. Yes, your characters level up and get better equipment BUT, the Core box campaign missions are really just skirmish maps. You are not exploring or investigating or making choose your own adventure like decisions or anything like that. Every mission in the core box boils down to a modified skirmish combat game.

3. Having been spoiled with pre-painted mini's for the X-Wing Miniatures game and not being a mini painter myself, my set looks blah. I know for there Arkham Horror line they sell pre-painted mini's separately also, so I would like to have that option. This, or course, could turn into a plus when I finally start to paint the mini's and find that it is enjoyable (or a double negative if I don't and they turn out like garbage).

4. 1 vs. many. I'm enjoying that the two sides play differently (Imperial and Rebels), but 1 vs. many can be tough to get to the table. My friend whom I play with is hardcore, so he runs 4 Rebel characters himself, and I give him a pass if he forgets to use an ability. But as the campaign goes on and there is more to keep track of for each characters, he is starting to struggle. And I really think the Rebel side needs the full compliment of 4 characters for the different abilities they each bring to the table. Yes, you get more activations with less characters (so the Rebel side gets an even amount of turns, some characters will just go ore than once), but you lose out on some abilities.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Scappoose
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Focused on the Skirmish side of the game.

The 3 best things about Star Wars: Imperial Assault in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

1. Skirmish objectives makes matches interesting instead of just destroy your opponent.

2. Units are thematic in their stats and abilities. Feels like I'm playing Star Wars

3. Lots of options for team building. FFG has done a good job at trying to keep the game balanced between the different factions.

The 3 worst things about Star Wars: Imperial Assault in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

1. Line of sight can be difficult for new players to understand.

2. Most of the new IA heroes ( Biv, Mac, Verena, etc.) do not see play in Skirmish.

3. I spend a lot of money with all the expansions and skirmish maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Meow
badge
Moooh
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have said that I am about campaign and one-off scenarios, not about the skirmish game ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good

1. Great component quality, I really like the dungeon tiles.

2. The minatures are pretty cool and work great with a star wars rpg

3. Good tactical combat

The bad

1. Runaway leader that spreads across several sessions. Winning gets you extra abilities that allow you to win better. A bit of uck in the early campaign can increase this.

2. You can tell a theme is pasted on when players ignore the names given by the game and creates their own terms for it.

3. As an rpg guy, I feel like it lacks the tension and creativity I can express in those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
The good:

1) I'm surprised by the above comment, I think the game is very thematic.

2) I think the game has nice RPG elements to it. One you get the hang of things, you start moving around constantly fearing what's behind the next door.

3) The character progression mechanics are interesting. I just finished one campaign as a player using Diala and running another one as an empire player where another player plays it and I'm seeing a HUGE variety in our playing style and both are good solid choices strategically.

The bad:
Oh boy... I'm not sure how to put it in only 3 points.
1) The rulebooks are a mess. Go over them over and over again. Read over the common thread mistakes. We found mistakes even during the last mission of the campaign. The line of sight is annoying as heck.

Also be aware that there is an FAQ for the game that contains erreta that weakened absurdly powerful royal guards and officer.

Yet it's in the FAQ...

2) The components are bad. The maps are horrible. They are made of tons of pieces which you can't store normally and setting up the game takes a long long time. When I run the campaign I build the map in advance and carry it with me in a box (not playing in my house). The other imperial place sets it during the session it it takes forever.

It's also really hard to see things like walls and such, especially for some people as they sit around the map. Some lines aren't that clear.

3) The game is HORRIBLE for first time players

I'll make it as clear as possible. First mission wasn't fun. Second mission was so terrible we wanted not just to quit but almost shred the entire game.

Eventually we pushed through and it became much better, in fact we've had a good time we're going to run another campaign. So obviously the game worked. But it's only because one person REALLY wanted to carry on and we decided to go for it. We hated the first few games.

Now, it's true, some of it was because the imperial player did a lot of mistake (and used the above pre ereta units) but it's not just that.

The game is brutal a single mistake or two would cost you the mission. Now, I love hard games, but the problem is those things are based on stuff we just couldn't know.

There is a huge problem with hidden information in this game. I already started a big thread of this before. There are some cases where the rebels practically march towards their death without having any real way of knowing about it.

You also have no idea what equipment you'll get, what the next mission will be, which abilities will be better or worse etc. So making calculations or strategic decisions on the first try is impossible.

Also, the game uses a colored dice with different stats which causes a lot of "wait, what are the odds for this or that?" - while you can clearly do a player aid for it, new players wont' have it out of the box. You'll get used to the numbers eventually but until then it's annoying.

I could go on for hours on this one, but I'll just some it up again.

Once you push through it, the game becomes much more fun (also the rebels power up a LOT more than the empire) but at first it's a bad experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
I didn't put a ton of thought into this but here are my quick thoughts.

The good:
1) The game is fun to play. The mechanics, the rolling, it's just fun.

2) Lots of value for the money. Five players can get 20-30 hours out of a single campaign. There is also good replayability since there are a lot of heroes, class decks, different people to play with.

3) Star Wars - the game is thematic enough for me. It has recognizable allies/villains, unit types, etc. The storyline runs parallel to the original trilogy which is fun.

The bad:
1) Some heroes are far better than others such that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage to even consider some heroes in the campaign.

2) Disparity in skill level can really swing the campaign in one way or another. If one player/side is much more experienced than others you can run the table with the campaign. Maybe this is not a bad thing but I have experienced some really one-sided campaigns.

3) Need to house rule some things to keep the campaign from swinging out of control. If one side wins a few missions in a row, it can really snowball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmb
The good:

1. Playability. My fiancee and my two kids (17 + 16) love to play this. We've played through the core 1.5 times (the first time we stopped about halfway through because we moved), Twin Shadows once, and currently playing through the Hoth campaign. I put this in the "good" category because I sunk a lot of money into the X-Wing game and only my son is willing to play it and even then it's sort of a chore to get it all set up. Nothing against either game, but IA seems to hit enough right notes to get everyone interested.

2. Replayability. We've only replayed a few missions (since we restarted the core) and we all played it differently. Sure, we all know the rules MUCH better now, but even the style was different because of the characters and trying to outguess each other.

3. The storylines. Sure, each mission can be played on its own as a skirmish, but my fiancee (who is an RPG nut) likes IA because it has just enough RP element to it to keep her interested (whereas if this was just a skirmish game, she might not be).

The bad (or not as good):

1. The storylines: I bring it up again here as while I like them as a whole, but once you get past the intro and the ending, it feel like everyone's in "objective mode" and the story aspect goes away. It's almost like I have to remind them what their overall objective is. I do LOVE the additional text boxes that need to be read after events happen during the game, but I know that if they try to go too far with it, we might as well just play the RPG. As someone mentioned earlier, I might start having Star Wars music softly playing in the background to enhance the atmosphere.

2. The cost: Yeah... This is more on the individual than anything, but I want all the expansions. I want all the additional figures (and their side missions). I know you don't need all this to play (with plenty of replayability), but still... more expansions means more options. So I guess this isn't a total "bad" thing, but to get the absolute most out of the game, you have to get all the stuff (just like the DLC content of a video game).

3. Unpainted figures: I know some people love to paint figures. I used to as well. While I might do this again someday, I can't really invest in all the paints (and time) to do this right now. So for now, our games look a little "blah" on the board. Plus, we have so many of them now, it takes a little time to find exactly what I need to place on the board. I've had to set up a secondary table next to me so I can have all the villains sorted/grouped to reduce the game-breaks while I fish out 3 stormtroopers (for example) for an in-game deployment.

But seriously, the good outweighs the bad by a LOT. For comparison, right before we started playing IA, I tried out the Legend of Drizzt game on the kids. We had issues with the gameplay (once you get to the edge of a map, a new map tile is placed BUT you can't move anymore so you're most likely going to be one attacked by the newly placed monster) among other things. So while the plan was to get the other games in the series to have an assortment of characters/figures/map tiles, that was all scrapped once we played IA. THIS is the game I thought Legend of Drizzt (and the others) was going to be. Of course, for the fantasy element, we'll be playing Descent (got a great ebay deal on the core along with a bunch of expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Best

1. Deceptively simple to learn
2. Great campaign experience- it's fun building characters as the rebels, gaining allies, and pulling the strings as the Imp.
3. Beautiful components!

Worst
1. It's a wallet killer
2. A little finnicky sometimes
3. Storage is a mess, particularly with all expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best:

1. Campaign is thematic and fun to play with non-symmetric roles supporting several player counts.
2. Skirmish adds a ton of long-term replay value. It's my favorite 1v1 tabletop game.
3. It really feels like Star Wars

Worst:

1. Learning the rules takes some time. It's not simple enough to pick up and play even for experienced gamers.
2. Hard to get new players interested because of high upfront cost/complexity (many expansions etc, but this is offset by huge value in long term BTW), long setup, and rule complexity.
3. Co-op is not supported yet (but hopefully app will fix)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Custom Combat dice. After playing Imperial Assault and Descent 2.0, going back to games that just use standard D6/D8/D20/etc just gets boring...

2. Speed of missions. When there's a round timer, it keeps one side from playing stall tactics to prolong the game, and forces each side to focus on mission objectives, and not just "lets keep killing stuff". Unlike Descent with my group, missions rarely go over 2 hours long.

3. Replayability. Have played 4 core campaigns now and am halfway through RTH Campaign, and have not even come close to seeing all the missions played. Also, there are a lot of Rebel Hero, Imperial Class, and Imperial Agenda Deck choices to make each campaign a new experience. Even with a single Hero, there are a lot of choices in what abilities and equipment purchased, that you can play a hero very differently between one campaign and the next.

1. Snowball effect. It can happen with a few early wins, especially in the included Core Campaign. Return to Hoth is a little better about this.

2. Complexity of the Rules. Harder to teach new people than other "RPG-Lite" type of games out there.

3. Line of Sight rules... though I have no clue how to make this better. Not sure that any game in this genre has really figured out a "perfect" line of sight rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Meow
badge
Moooh
mbmbmbmbmb
Cris, how, in what way, did Return to Hoth fix or at least improve the Snowballing?

In general would you prefer catch up mechanics, options to press your luck as the winning or losing side to make even or loose/win the game or a mix of both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Cris, how, in what way, did Return to Hoth fix or at least improve the Snowballing?

In general would you prefer catch up mechanics, options to press your luck as the winning or losing side to make even or loose/win the game or a mix of both?

The story mission progression in the core campaign isn't very balanced...

Vague example (without going into spoilers) : Rebels lose Story Mission "B", and get "C" assigned as the next story mission (instead of "D" had they won), and "C" is swayed towards the Imperial side, making it even harder for the Rebels, who didn't get as many XP or credits for losing "B".

Return to Hoth seems to do better at this... making the story missions after Rebel losses a little easier for the Rebels, giving them a better chance to win the next story mission and even up the XP and Credit/Agenda gains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1.I love practically everything about this game, but probably the best thing this has to offer is its campaign structure

2.Combat isn't overly simplified or complex

3.You feel like you're living out an epic tale in the sw universe

1.Unbalanced scenarios discourage players from playing further missions

2.Setup and teardown for each mission is a pain in the butt

3.It's annoying when a mission come down to the roll of a die
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
flag msg tools
Pros:
- component quality: miniature size and quality better than Descent or MoM but not as good as CMON or Monolith products. Game board and tokens are thick with great level of detail and the art is very SW. Cards are FFG standard, worth sleeving.

- gameplay: mechanics greatly improved from Descent 2nd ed: alternate activation between imperial and rebels, spread the damage through all Rebels instead of focusing on weakest, allies are a great addition, and line of sight makes sense now.

- two game modes in one box: long campaign with great replayability, and skirmish when you want something lighter and faster

- very immersive: when Darth Vader or an AT-AT shows up for the first time you look at the expression of awe on everyone's face.

Cons:
- Greedy FFG: FFG is what I call the EA of boardgames, they produce / develop great games it is all about profit and how to milk their costumers as much as possible, their allies / villains packages are ridiculous, to a point that one of the main expansions has Boba Fett stamped across the entire box, but he is not included as a miniature.

- Lack of Insert: the core box is massive, it is possible to include 2 game contents inside and still have some space left for a third AT-AT, so why a card insert for the game that has hundreds of cards is not included?

- balance: I find Descent is better balanced, as Overloard I had to play seriously to win, and the heroes could play with 2, 3 or 4 characters that the game would balance it self, with Star Wars, I generally have to scale back as an Overloard, because I can easily make the campaign non-enjoyable by just smashing the Rebels every match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.