Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Meow
badge
Moooh
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello dungeon-crawlers!

this is not intended to be a thread full of bashes or discussion. I can't stop you, but my intention is simply to gather your opinions regarding game-play, mechanics, immersion etc.

Please try to find something for both sides. E.g. not only name things you dislike but also you like, nor only name things like like but none that you dislike. Think hard !

You can name more but should try to name at least 3 each, on the good and bad side!

Here is a template, thanks for participating!:

The 3 best things about Zombicide: Black Plague in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

The 3 worst things about Zombicide: Black Plague in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 best things about Zombicide: Black Plague in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

1. Easy to get to the table. Plays readily from 1 to 6 players. Fun theme. Everyone who plays it seems to love it.

2. It is a dice chucker. The random unbalance makes for variety and ease for all experiences of players, which again helps with getting it to the table.

3. Satisfaction of mindlessly slaughtering hordes of zombies, with a bit of tension.

The 3 worst things about Zombicide: Black Plague in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

1. It is a dice chucker. I generally don't like dice chuckers due to the inconsistency and unbalance dice cause. Although see #2 above.

2. Unbalanced weapons. Why can't 6 heroes surrounding an abomination and pick it off? But one lucky weak player can draw an awesome weapon that takes it out in one hit?

3. I dislike the friendly fire rules, although they are worlds better than the classic edition friendly fire rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Meow
badge
Moooh
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only plaid it once, maybe I wasn't explained the friendly fire rules ;-)

What is bad about them? What could be better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendly fire is where you might hurt your friends when you shoot. I imagine a lot of people would put this down as a negative, although I have no problem with it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Meow
badge
Moooh
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you simply meant the misses on ranged attacks hitting friendlies in the same field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best:

1. Great fun!

2. Easy to learn and teach

3. Spectacular appearance

Worst:

1. Bit of a time-eater in the mid-game

2. The search mechanic is imperfect, allowing "camping"

3. Can be a money pit, if you let it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

1. It appeals to a broad range of people, I can get my wife, her friends and their kids all to play the same game.

2. It is co-op. No one has to get eliminated and sit out for the remainder of the game. Still can't get the youngest to level up along with everyone else though.

3. We keep incrementally adding all the extras and Kickstarter Exclusives so the game gradually gets more complicated but at a rate that everyone can keep up with.

1. It takes too long, towards the end it becomes a bit of a drudge. I would prefer to play two quicker games than one longer drawn out game.

2. It takes a long time to set up and double check that all the doors are in the right place etc.

3. It is too tempting to paint the miniatures, and now I have to finish the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Sorry you simply meant the misses on ranged attacks hitting friendlies in the same field?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positives
1. Awesome gameplay, the best solo/co-op imho
2. Awesome characters, and lots of them
3. Great setting, weapons, sculpts, art

Negatives
1. Needs more missions (only 33 missions so far)
2. Some missions are long (2+ hours)
3. Too much choice if you own it all (enemies, heroes, etc)

I strongly recommend black plague. It is better than the origional zombicide (more realistic with weapons, armor, armor saves, less zombies, etc). It is great solo or co-op, and I will repeat it is arguably the best solo game out there (sob is a close third to the zombicides).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
msg tools
mbmb
Positives:

- Quality of components, miniatures, and background set in a heroic-fantasy world.

- Cooperatives mode, 1 to 6 players, and good with any number of players. (By opposite, I prefer to play Mage Knight alone).

- Gameplay: leveling up while playing, clever mechanics to spawn enemies across the board, leveling up for enemies as well, backpack.

Negatives:

- Can be long, so need time ahead to play it.

- Cannot find a second negative...

- ... so neither a third one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar DeSearchy
Canada
flag msg tools

1. Simple enough my kids (both under 8) can play, ask to play, can problem solve, make decisions, accept consequences, get creative and have lots of fun that mom asks - why can't I play. They love the player trays (really helping one kids with dexterity slotting cards in the backpack)

2. Miniatures look great, adding to the atmosphere of the game, that runner or wolf lurking can change your plans quickly

3. Expand-ability - completed all base/wulf quests, go online and try other campaigns and quests. We have almost completed the Fire God Campaign. Starting Quest 4 with one hero starting with a wound

1. Some maps are big (9 tiles) and tiny hits to one tile moves everything about. doors slide, x's move. Kids dice hit the player trays which move the tiles. Daddy gives angry face and play resumes

2. The more Aboms you play with the more incentive to have to take OP characters to start (think +1 Damage Melee/Range/Magic for Blue Characters). Can be easily overrun if unlucky search camping and torch trading.

3. Clarity of rules; specifically for Spawning and Enchantments. Read these forums. Would love to d/l an updated rule/guidebook to answer questions. House rules work to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
My biggest complaint is that after you have played say 4, 5, or more games the games feels very repetitive. The expansions allow for some variety but the game still feels repetitive at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. It's a great, highly customisable and easy to teach Coop game. I've brought this to many different groups and i had a blast with "hardcore gamers" to "casuals"

2. The ability to get more Quest here and on their site, right now there are a lot of user created Quests so you dond't run out of stuff to do

3. The KS Survivors! Every single one is a hommage to a film, game or book, so there is a Survivor for everybody. We even had games with a soundboard with Monthy Python and Ash vs Evil Dead Lines and other sounds (e.g. Stop-Hammertime and Fireball) and had a LOT of fun with those.

1. It takes a loong time, we can't get more than two games of Zcide in, no matter how early we start (except we win one unusually early, which we complain about as well )

2. I find myself "alpha gaming" more than i'd like, especially if new or not expierienced players are at the table.

3. The Necromancer Cabal/ Dark Ritual Rules. There are ways to loose the game by unlucky draws (without a chance of doing anything), but there are many Threads here and a lot of possible solutions for this. My real complaint is more that CMON/GG doubled down on these wierd rules via FAQ, instead of revising them.

My Number 4 is about the money (not gameplay etc.):
4. If you want more variancy in your game it can get very expensive. Without the KS pledge (which was good value) Addons are not cheap (in particular if you live outside the US with all the shipping)

There is one upside about the money: Only one player needs to have the stuff, as oppossed by Warhammer (as a Miniature Game) or Magic (both games i sunk a lot of money in over time, but you'll need friends to invest as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played a couple of games with the base.

Three things I like:
1. The theme ... I like zombies and the medieval setting feels fresher than yet another game with a modern setting.
2. It's easy to learn and play ... which means I can play it with my son.
3. It looks great ... the artwork and minis are fun.

Three things I dislike:
1. I seem to have awful luck with dice and have wasted a lot of actions just trying to open doors ... it's kind of thematic (although maybe they could just TRY the knob first) but it's not terribly fun.
2. I haven't found this yet, but it looks like it could get quite repetitive. I doubt I will play it frequently enough for this to be a big problem, but I think I'd grow bored with it if I played it too often.
3. Nitpick - the spawn cards read from bottom to top and my brain just struggles with it ... when I start a new game I draw the first spawn card and exclaim 'OMG 3 Fatties, that's ridiculous' before realising my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.