Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this a fair scoring event?

You score three things, every lap Red Tiles, Rockets, and Crystals.

If you have the most, you get 6 points (potential of 18), if you have the second most you get 2 points (potential of 6).

I played 2 player last night, got an early lead on all three items. I scored 72 points from this lap scoring tile, the other player scored 20, as the first lap they didn't have any Rockets or Crystals.

Final game score was 163 to 81. Without that tile it would have been 91 to 61, which is much more reasonable, still a blow out, but not an 82 point blow out.

Am I missing something about this lap scoring tile, or lap scoring in general? By the third lap I was so far ahead, the game became boring as there was no tension or competition.

I like the idea of the higher scoring, but man, it sure felt lopsided. And with Spot taking tiles out, there wasn't many options for my opponent, he played as well as he could have with the options he had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong or are missing something, but I'm pretty shocked the other player did so poorly. They couldn't get a single rocket or crystal before the first lap ended? And you had more red tiles than they did, to boot? That's pretty nuts. It seems like maybe they didn't notice or understand what the implications would be. What were the end game scoring tiles?

Much like with its inspiration Glen More, Lunarchitects there's not much in terms of "catch up" mechanisms. About the only thing is the better tiles that come out. If you could play those well (assuming you could afford them), it's possible. I wonder if Efficiency would have helped much as an end game scoring tile. What were the number of tiles in yours and their's looking like? Did you play a ton more tiles?

Maybe it's just not a great lap scoring tile for two player. I would think the more players you get, the less likely one person could possibly dominate all the categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong or are missing something, but I'm pretty shocked the other player did so poorly. They couldn't get a single rocket or crystal before the first lap ended? And you had more red tiles than they did, to boot? That's pretty nuts. It seems like maybe they didn't notice or understand what the implications would be. What were the end game scoring tiles?

Much like with its inspiration Glen More, Lunarchitects there's not much in terms of "catch up" mechanisms. About the only thing is the better tiles that come out. If you could play those well (assuming you could afford them), it's possible. I wonder if Efficiency would have helped much as an end game scoring tile. What were the number of tiles in yours and their's looking like? Did you play a ton more tiles?

Maybe it's just not a great lap scoring tile for two player. I would think the more players you get, the less likely one person could possibly dominate all the categories.

End game was Frugality and Sprawl. I got 30 points from Sprawl, as I played towards. Other player did get 30 points from Frugality, cause yes I played 15 more tiles than they did.

In fairness, I'd played Glen More before, and this player hadn't. But we were both aware of the Lap Scoring and End Game scoring. I think they took less tiles on purpose, but also between me and lucky rolls for Spot, he had a really hard time getting Red tiles.

The game snowballs for sure, but in Glen More I've never had more than a 10 or 15 point difference in scores. This was 82. The other player is not new to gaming, and is rather good at games in general. We just both felt it was a pretty lame way to win.

This didn't happen, but to demonstrate why I think this might be a bad scoring option, On the first Lap it is possible for me to have only 1 rocket, 1 Crystal, and 1 Red tile. And they have none. I get 18 Points they get 0. Seems lopsided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
One thing about Glen More is that it basically always has the Efficiency as an end game. It works slightly differently, but it's basically a "help out the people who might have played poorly" tile. Sure, you can try to target that and minimize your tiles, but I don't think it's generally a winning strategy.

I'm kind of torn on it, personally. In some ways it's an "artificial" means of just making the scores seem closer. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I think that's actually a good thing. It makes the person who would have had a low score feel better, so I guess that part is good. But isn't it all just kind of, you know what I mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
One thing about Glen More is that it basically always has the Efficiency as an end game. It works slightly differently, but it's basically a "help out the people who might have played poorly" tile. Sure, you can try to target that and minimize your tiles, but I don't think it's generally a winning strategy.

I'm kind of torn on it, personally. In some ways it's an "artificial" means of just making the scores seem closer. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I think that's actually a good thing. It makes the person who would have had a low score feel better, so I guess that part is good. But isn't it all just kind of, you know what I mean?

Yeah I get it, and I think that is why Glen More wins in my book. It's not fun to lose OR win by 82 points. 30 Points, not as bad, play better. But 82 points, when there is nothing the other player can do to close the gap, feels really bad for all players. Too bad too, cause I prefer the space theme, and the component quality of Lunarchitects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Wow, yeah, that's a blowout. I can honestly say I've never seen a score that high, OR a gap so large.
I'll echo what Jason said, it's pretty surprising that happened, but it is possible. Majority is the harshest lap scoring scheme for sure. I think a bigger part was that in reality Frugality is a huge trap... it gives you a sense that you'll at least recover some points if you skip tiles, but 2/tile really isn't much, and I've NEVER won going solely after Frugality. And your score doesn't surprise me if you got 15 more tiles.
I do really believe it was stars aligning with that score, as it's the absolute highest score I've ever seen. I totally understand that it'd put a sour taste in your mouth, and I'm sorry that it happened! But if you're willing, do try a different mix of schemes and see if it's a little friendlier. I've played lots of games, watched lots more, and read bgg recorded scores on games played by people who I've never met... and you have a fluke right there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
jmathias wrote:
Yeah I get it, and I think that is why Glen More wins in my book. It's not fun to lose OR win by 82 points. 30 Points, not as bad, play better. But 82 points, when there is nothing the other player can do to close the gap, feels really bad for all players. Too bad too, cause I prefer the space theme, and the component quality of Lunarchitects.

Just so you know, I don't necessarily disagree. Like I said, I go back and forth on it. To some degree, every game could have tighter scoring by simply awarding all players half as many points as the difference between their score and the leaders. Voila, instant close games! But would it really mean anything? To a large degree, that's what I feel Glen More is doing. I'm not saying this to defend what happened in your particular game of Lunarchitects, but more to question whether Glen More actually has it "right."

I more prefer catch up mechanisms that allow the person who is in last place first choice, better abilities, more actions, something like that. These probably result in kind of the same thing (favoring the loser/hobbling the leader), but they feel more like they're only providing an opening that a player still has to have the skill to exploit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.