33.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Assembling the models - I really suck at models and glue and all that stuff. If I liked it I would be into models not board gaming.
2. Demons coming out of a portal from another world - really ? Hasn't this theme been done to death ? I was excited to play with my 2 boys but when you go down the demon/horror theme, you lose a percentage of parents.

It's a shame, because the other aspects of the game look fantastic - co-op dungeon crawl, buying new equipment in the town, developing character skills and all that. Not to mention the component quality looks fantastic.
Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for that gloom game to hit the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I think you're missing out on a fabulous game, honestly. If you live anywhere near Seattle, I'd be happy to assemble your models for you. As for the theme... Okay, yes, there are portals with monsters emerging. And then you can go through them too, and see what's on the other side. And sometimes play heroes who are from those other worlds. Every game is dripping with theme. I've enjoyed every game of Brimstone I've ever played, and this Japanese variant looks to be just as amazing... and should also help expand my other Brimstone games, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes any more palatable to you, for the most part the creature coming through the portals (or living on the other side of the portals) are not demons, just either monsters (like tentacles, night horrors, etc.) or people/animals corrupted by dark stone. I think the only ones that are proper demons would be from the Cynder otherworld expansion which you don't have to buy or use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, considering this is an extension of a game where demons come from a portal from another world in a cowboy setting, I'm not sure how you could do #2 any different

If you want to know how it plays, try to see if your local favorite gaming store is willing to do a demo of Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients. Forbidden Fortress is going to have the exact same mechanics, so this will give you a feel of the game to tell you if you want to back it or not.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was REALLY torqued when I bought my first base game, and realized how much assembly was required. I was steaming when I started gluing the first ones. But I loved the game, so I got a second base game and got gluing. Then I got my hands on some GenCon exclusives...

And suddenly I found myself liking the assembly process. It's a nice meditative activity, and very relaxing. Now I actually save a few models for a rainy day, because I enjoy it.

I'm not saying that you'll come to love it too, but you might!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Assembling the models is a pain, and somewhat time consuming, but at the same time it's fun and fulfilling to "craft" something, and satisfying to see it on the table in play. The large and huge models especially make it worth it, imo. I doubt you'd get anything like Beli'al in a preconstructed form.

To see what's involved, FFP did a series of videos on assembling the base sets. Here's the intro and a couple sets, more are on their channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ATlqR6CmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCdu3lHruI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXE6E0XEN9c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The theme is probably slightly less done to death than Zombies (punintentional), but I'm not sure where else we can imagine monsters/demons as coming from. We could say they're manifestations from our own minds, they've always been here hiding and they're just now coming out for reasons, there's something in the food/water supply turning people into monsters, a mad scientist is creating them or... they come from another world/dimension. Not much else to go on. Otherwise, it's a dungeon crawler and you're fighting monsters. Kids don't really need to know why, just tell them who their character is and what they're hitting and they won't worry about the details.

I'm probably a horrible parent, but I'm not averse to exposing my son to any of this because there's nothing sexual about any of it (except for maybe the succubi, but that's an optional add-on with SoB) and alot of it is the same kind of stuff he would see on Pokemon (just a different tone). It could be seen as mature by some, but the violent/gorey elements are probably more in the writing than anything and can just be glossed over when describing things to the kids. Still though, every parent has their own standards for what's acceptable for their own kids, so you set your own limits on what they're exposed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming FF will have assembly, but it will be easier than the base game.

Does SoB explicitly say demons? I know the monsters have a Lovecraftian influence, but Lovecraft considered them to be alien entities, not demons in the Judeo-Christian sense. (Of course, if you read Myth Adventures, you know that every dimensional traveler is a "demon"...!). The monsters in FF are based on Japanese yokai, which are also not traditional demons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Monsters in sob have keywords. Some are bandits, some are beasts, or void, or tribal. And yes, some have the demon keyword. It doesn't really change much gameplay-wise. But if the inclusion of that word bothers you that much, you could always exclude those cards.

There's not *that* many actual demons.
And they, for the most part, don't actually look like Judeo-Christian demons.

One of the more common ones, void bats, look like flying snakes with 3 tongues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wasn't looking forward to the gluing either, but as said elsewhere it is kind of meditative and in my day it's rare I get that. Also, plastic is super easy to work with (as opposed to metal or resin figures). It's a lot easier than the plastic model kits I remember doing as a kid - also the publisher mentioned there would be fewer parts to glue.

The demon theme is just a part of it - there are aliens, mutants, robots, dinosaurs/ pretty much anything goes. The universe will hopefully expand to other areas as well, in time, but for now there is quite a variety of themes and enemies, not just 'demons'.

As far as playing with kids I think it's fine but some people are offended / concerned by things that don't bother me in the slightest. Here are things that I think actually make the game awesome but no doubt someone somewhere will find them offensive: alcohol and tobacco consumption, guns, females in non-historical roles, an overtly Christian character, gambling ...

There is no sex though ... I wouldn't care if there was but even I would t play that with kids if there was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the only demon enemies in the game (so far).

Belial is an XXL enemy expansion
Goliath, Night Terrors, and Stranglers are from City of Ancients
Hellbats and Harbinger are from Swamps of Death

Other than the word "Demon" and "Hell"bats they don't necessarily have any features that make they look like traditional demons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
These are the only demon enemies in the game (so far).

Belial is an XXL enemy expansion
Goliath, Night Terrors, and Stranglers are from City of Ancients
Hellbats and Harbinger are from Swamps of Death

Other than the word "Demon" and "Hell"bats they don't necessarily have any features that make they look like traditional demons.

I mean, the harbinger kinda does, what with the wings and horns and such. But that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just paint the Harbinger pink then, he'll look less demony! Or don't attach his wings, and fill the holes with green stuff.

I don't actually recommend doing either though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Just paint the Harbinger pink then, he'll look less demony! Or don't attach his wings, and fill the holes with green stuff.

Actually, leaving the wings off makes him a lot easier to store

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:

Oh, make no mistake, the existence of "demons" in sob doesnt bother me at all.
In fact heroes slaying demons is awesome to me.

I was just pointing out that he is a fairly "traditional" looking demon for the benefit of those who might dislike it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great comments thanks all.
Sounds like the demon/horror thing isn't such as an issue, but the general level of graphics I would say is aimed at adults not kids.
Gluing the models - that ain't ever going to be a relaxing experience for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:
I think you're missing out on a fabulous game, honestly. If you live anywhere near Seattle, I'd be happy to assemble your models for you.

That is very kind of you, however I am currently in West Africa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boiko Boichev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
Keep in mind that the monsters in Forbidden Fortress are themed to creatures from Japanese folklore. Some of them are meant to icky and creepy (like the tongue daemons) but overall they seem to evoke folklore and historical period more. There are also zombie Samurai in the base game, but that seem just fun if you ask me.

Keep in mind there is a madness and a mutation mechanic in the game. There is a Sanity statistic which basically functions like a second health bar. Your arm could turn into a tentacle and you could grow a second head.

But keep in mind, one of the ideas of this game is you are able to travel to different world and if you buy the expansions there is a big variety.

Jargono for instance is a jungle world, occupied by tribal humans and snake-men. Targa is a snowy ruin of an ancient civilization which has functioning robots roaming around. Trederra is world of trenches and warfare themed similarly to World War I. Cynder is an subterranean series of caves filled with lava which is similar to hell.

The "Other World" that comes with Forbidden Fortress is inside the body of an enormous creature, where you walk around it's organs

There are diffenert enemy packs you can buy - Serpentmen, Robots, Aliens Giant Rats, Giant Slugs.

There are a couple of Horror or Occult themed enemies but they are completely optional.

As for the gluing - it happens very fast. Getting all the models from the Shogun pledge wont take you more than a couple of hours and you don;t to worry about that ever again.

Now, the models from the original SoB core sets were fiddly, had too many parts and were warped and tough to get together, but since then FFG have gotten way better and their subsequent minis have been alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
Great comments thanks all.
Sounds like the demon/horror thing isn't such as an issue, but the general level of graphics I would say is aimed at adults not kids.
Gluing the models - that ain't ever going to be a relaxing experience for me.

Depends on the ages of your kids and their personal threshold. The game isnt scary.

Assembling is challenging if you are new to it, but there is something meditative about it. It gets easier the more you do, it's not my favorite, but the game is so much fun and so rewarding to play that it's worth it imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regressor wrote:
Keep in mind there is a madness and a mutation mechanic in the game. There is a Sanity statistic which basically functions like a second health bar. Your arm could turn into a tentacle and you could grow a second head.

Excess corruption causes Mutation, not loss of Sanity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
Gluing the models - that ain't ever going to be a relaxing experience for me. ...

Sorry, what we forgot to mention is that you work with your face really close to the mini and the open tube of glue. Inhale deeply ... ahhhh ... so relaxed ...

On another note: yes, the figures are 'adult' in the sense they are a little more realistic than Games Workshop, but not 'adult' in the sense they are sexualized, erotic poses, half-naked women and the like. Nothing adult in that sense at all. Completely child-friendly, visually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:

Sorry, what we forgot to mention is that you work with your face really close to the mini and the open tube of glue. Inhale deeply ... ahhhh ... so relaxed ...

So that's the trick !
Sounds like the horror/demon stuff is purely superficial which is great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
P.O.G.G. wrote:

So that's the trick !
Sounds like the horror/demon stuff is purely superficial which is great

Extremely superficial. There are some mentions in flavor texts to sacrifices and such (just played a serpentmen of jargono mission about stopping one)
But it's not a *demonic* sacrifice. And if that concerned me as a parent, I just wouldn't read that text to the littles.

If the violence concerns you, well that's a thing. But it's not like there's tons of blood and gore (the zombicide tiles are loaded with gore, sob tiles are not)

I would play it with children, no doubt. As long as they are old enough to be gentle with the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.