10 Posts

Bios: Genesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving a Biont to a microorganism rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
Suppose I have a Biont in a microorganism having the HGT ability. Is there anything which prevents me, during the same assignment phase, from doing the following:
a. Assign my parasite (with one Biont) to a microorganism in another player's tableau
b. Then move the parasite's Biont to another microorganism (including its host) by HGT (following the wantoness rules in E6), killing my parasite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parasites can't use their host's HGT ability for moving bionts - foreign bionts can (and are similar to parasites in most ways), but parasites use their own abilities for this.

(Otherwise you could just machine-gun all of the organisms at the table with two mutation cubes, and no-one would develop).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
Domfluff wrote:
Parasites can't use their host's HGT ability for moving bionts

In my example/question, my parasite does not use its host's HGT ability, but uses the fact that I have another Biont in a microorganism with HGT. And according to E6, "You have this Ability for all your Bionts if any of your Microorganisms, or Microorganisms you reside in (as a Foreign Gene or Endosymbiont), have the HGT icon"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite right, but the biont(s) reflecting control of a parasite is neither a foreign gene nor endosymbiont. (A parasite can *become* an endosymbiont on macro purchase, but that's a different thing entirely).

As I read your example, you are asking about the following sequence during the assignment phase:

- Assigning a parasite to an opposing organism
- Then, moving this parasite in the same phase to another organism, killing the parasite.

When you have assigned the parasite initially, it will have no HGT actions available, since it hasn't mutated yet and Parasites do not use their host's actions.

You can't move your parasite once it's attached - other players can supplant it, but otherwise yours is stuck there until the parasite or host dies.

After purchasing a mutation, HGT will allow you to move your biont from one of your parasites (since these are microorganisms) to another microorganism in a home row of one of your organisms, your pool, or a currently active row. This could kill your parasite (making the card available for reuse) and can include moving your biont to another player's microorganism as a foreign gene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
When you have assigned the parasite initially, it will have no HGT actions available, since it hasn't mutated yet and Parasites do not use their host's actions.

HGT applies to all of your bionts, even if the organism they're in doesn't have the HGT ability.

But to answer OP's question with a quote from the rules:
Quote:
Each Biont may be assigned (E1, E3), used to supplant (E4), or moved (E6) only once during this phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
HGT applies to all of your bionts, even if the organism they're in doesn't have the HGT ability.

Quote:
Each Biont may be assigned (E1, E3), used to supplant (E4), or moved (E6) only once during this phase.

This is your answer. So you tactic works, but you need to wait a turn to move from the parasite to the host. This may lead to an HGT arms race in the purchase phase if the owner of the host intents to block you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
golden_cow2 wrote:
Quote:

OK thanks, that's the one that had been escaping me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
According to the rules on page 15

There is also no voluntary detachment. It only detaches only if liberated (E4) or goes Extinct.

Is HGTing your biont away from your parasite not considered voluntary detachment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derphausen wrote:
According to the rules on page 15

There is also no voluntary detachment. It only detaches only if liberated (E4) or goes Extinct.

Is HGTing your biont away from your parasite not considered voluntary detachment?

Nope, "voluntary detachment" in this context is implying moving your parasite to another organism, which isn't allowed.

Moving the biont off the parasite is intentionally committing suicide, which is explicitly allowed with HGT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I read it as simply meaning detachment, i.e. the act of getting your biont back for reassignment later, not detachment followed by reattachment (<-- this still counts as one biont movement, from one organism to another).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.