Will Kenyon
United States
East Point
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everybody. Will Kenyon here.

Jason from 8th Summit has now given me permission to compile and create a file of "known issues" and errata for Mythos Tales. I am working with a number of enthusiastic and talented fans of the game, as well as on my own, pouring over the text and trying to discover all the dead ends and misleading misprints which might confuse you (more than they should).

I will be posting a new thread with the errata for the following by midnight, Monday, November 21st, Eastern Standard Time:

Case 1: A Grain of Evil
Case 2: Flesh & Blood
Case 3: The King Cometh
Case 4: The Slumbering Solace

After that, I hope to be able to issue errata for each subsequent case once or twice a week for the next few weeks, until I'm done.

If you have suggestions or observations, please contact me through BGG e-mail. Please, though, do not e-mail me unless you have a serious contribution or question, since replying to too many messages will impede my progress.

Thank you all again!

WK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gosland
Australia
Hoddles Creek
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be nice if developer did this prior to release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallbanks wrote:
It would be nice to have enough play testers to catch these problems, or to hire a good enough editor to catch them all. Unfortunately most game companies do not have the luxury or money for things like this.

In other words, how many game projects of this complexity snd scope and size have you been a part of? If the answer is zero, you might want to pipe down. If more than that, how many were perfect?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the work compiling this. Given the fact the first iteration of this work was FREE here on BGG and required printing out, I for one was hooked on the free version. Typos are part of the business and this seemed to be a huge project. Just know that most can live with the issues. I for one would back the next chapters of this game, if ever there was....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Flanagan
msg tools
Hi Will,

Im looking to pick this up and wondered if any of the issues in the kickstarter version were fixed in the retail edition? I know there are issues with the map along with some typo's etc in the cases, The kickstarter version sounds cool but as it costs a few more ££ wouldn't want to be getting something with more errors than the cheaper retail edition.

thanks

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Wallbanks wrote:
It would be nice to have enough play testers to catch these problems, or to hire a good enough editor to catch them all.

It isn't really play-testers - they are generally not working with the final product. It is proof-readers. I would want a product like this to have at least 3 proofing passes. But that all costs time and money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
martimer wrote:
Wallbanks wrote:
It would be nice to have enough play testers to catch these problems, or to hire a good enough editor to catch them all.

It isn't really play-testers - they are generally not working with the final product. It is proof-readers. I would want a product like this to have at least 3 proofing passes. But that all costs time and money.
A lot of the errors would not be caught by proofreaders, because they are not, generally, checking every cross reference. That sort of thing gets caught by play(test)els, who do go cross checking things. Proofreaders trend o focus on grammar and punctuation. It takes a special amount of effort to go through and cross-check references. It certainly can be done (and I tried to do some of it back when I had the mental horsepower to proof read).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Kenyon
United States
East Point
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rflan wrote:
Hi Will,

Im looking to pick this up and wondered if any of the issues in the kickstarter version were fixed in the retail edition? I know there are issues with the map along with some typo's etc in the cases, The kickstarter version sounds cool but as it costs a few more ££ wouldn't want to be getting something with more errors than the cheaper retail edition.

thanks

R

The issues are present in the retail version as well, Rob. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Perry
England
Accrington
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
andyl wrote:
martimer wrote:
Wallbanks wrote:

A lot of the errors would not be caught by proofreaders, because they are not, generally, checking every cross reference. That sort of thing gets caught by play(test)els, who do go cross checking things. Proofreaders trend o focus on grammar and punctuation. It takes a special amount of effort to go through and cross-check references. It certainly can be done (and I tried to do some of it back when I had the mental horsepower to proof read).

That depends on what the proof reader is asked to do and the price the client is willing to pay. Proof reading is a skilled job, not something that an amateur should be asked to do; not if you want it done properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's sufficient to say that errors and typos appear in products from even the largest game companies, such as FFG and Steve Jackson Games. Even they have to routinely issue FAQ's and Errata.

No one likes to find out that their published game has mistakes, but it speaks well of 8th Summit that they are working so diligently in this case to resolve the problem as best they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Kenyon
United States
East Point
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, everybody. I posted the errata document at 11:35 EST, just under the wire. It will take time for the BGG Admins to approve it, but after that, you'll have documentation covering Cases 1-4 and parts of the Map and Directory which pertain to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will reading the errata before I play a scenario spoil the scenario or give some of the clues away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
GreenLaborMike wrote:

No one likes to find out that their published game has mistakes, but it speaks well of 8th Summit that they are working so diligently in this case to resolve the problem as best they can.

Reading between the lines, I'm not entirely sure they are. The designer, on the other hand, is doing a great job...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Kenyon
United States
East Point
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
richdodgin wrote:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will reading the errata before I play a scenario spoil the scenario or give some of the clues away?

Rich - I tagged any potential spoilers in all caps and bold. Just avoid those passages until you're ready for them. An explanation at the top of the document tells you how to use it. -Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willok wrote:
richdodgin wrote:

Rich - I tagged any potential spoilers in all caps and bold. Just avoid those passages until you're ready for them. An explanation at the top of the document tells you how to use it. -Will

Great - many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Wallbanks wrote:
It would be nice to have enough play testers to catch these problems, or to hire a good enough editor to catch them all. Unfortunately most game companies do not have the luxury or money for things like this.

In other words, how many game projects of this complexity snd scope and size have you been a part of? If the answer is zero, you might want to pipe down. If more than that, how many were perfect?

whistle

Agreed. I playtested and proofed a game that just released, and we STILL missed one mistake in the rulebook. Shit happens. Move on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
willok wrote:
richdodgin wrote:

Initially I misread that as "all spoilers are in all caps and bold" which seemed a bit mean!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkpope wrote:
martimer wrote:
Wallbanks wrote:

whistle

Agreed. I playtested and proofed a game that just released, and we STILL missed one mistake in the rulebook. Shit happens. Move on...
I quit doing it when I started missing things. I miss it, but I just do not have the mental horsepower for it any more.

Be proud of the mistakes you did catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.