Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: How do you fix a suppressed radio? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
After racking up scenario 6 again hoping for revenge against the wife's 25+ point battering and using what I thought was an ace setup as shown in another thread, I proceeded to get my key 2 hex leader broken with the very first card play, the leader at the crux of my split wing double HMG barrage that is. Unlike the first time I really tried to work the cards a bit better but failed to get cards that lined up with the situation, and the rolls were not kind. Those elite USA units and double elimination vps make it tough if you lose an early unit or position and fighting that defender hand with reduced capability until two time advances. I finally overwhelmed the objective house 5 ready and clear to exit but then her reinforcements hit the board and put the stop on that. We'd actually paused overnight with me struggling, 9 down but 3 or 4 timers left hence 3 or 4 defender VP so I just needed an elimination or two and I was back in it

I got the chance of a radio, I think the 81mm but passed for a third HMG.

As I stared dejectedly at the sudden death loss of 18vp, I mused 'I should have taken that radio'
As I'm packing away my cardboard buffoons I suddenly hear a stifled sniggering

The wife is desperately trying to contain herself and explains that she'd been dying to start singing Radio Ga-Ga at me but was a bit worried I'd get even more grumpy. Obviously not quite worried enough

I guess I'll have to put up with this suppressed radio until I figure this out. I don't want to resort to setting up hiding in the arse end of the map and avoiding contact for as long as possible but my first two attempts gave been quite woeful. Is it possible to be a terrible attacker and a terrible defender. I ask this rhetorically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can fix your radio by playing an Artillery Request.

Quote:
O18.1.Battery.Access
If Battery Access is chosen, the active player simply ‘fixes’ his broken Radio by flipping it back over to its unbroken side, ready for immediate use.

Edit; And I believe you mean a broken radio, right?
Because only units can be suppressed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
We'd actually paused overnight with me struggling, 9 down but 3 or 4 timers left hence 3 or 4 defender VP so I just needed an elimination or two and I was back in it

I got the chance of a radio, I think the 81mm but passed for a third HMG.

As I stared dejectedly at the sudden death loss of 18vp, I mused 'I should have taken that radio'

So, this may or may not make you feel better, but I don't think you ever had the choice of a radio.

I'm piecing this together from your AAR, but it sounds like at some point, you, as the defender, played the Hidden Unit card, and rolled an '8' on the German support table (that's the only column with an 81mm radio and an HMG).

The Hidden Unit card says "Select one available unit." A radio is not a unit. cry See the glossary on p. 2. A unit is a large counter with soldiers on it.

This is a common mistake made with the Hidden Unit card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
k1nu wrote:

This is a common mistake made with the Hidden Unit card.

And why "Reinforcements" says "unit or radio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes, it was the reinforcements card (unit or radio), and no, the radio wasn't suppressed or broken (it never even got called up),but it was meant to be a joke about my wife teasing me for my utter defeat.

I obviously badly missed my humour targeting roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Trad

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes our women are just better than us.

At some point in your life you did something right, or maybe good kharma from a past life. Either way, you have to accept being the inferior partner AND Combat Commander player.

Don't worry though, the occasional accidental victory will keep your spirits up.

An HMG in the bush is worth two in a hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.