15 Posts

Legends Untold» Forums » General

Subject: Tempted. But have concerns about art and production quality. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This looks really interesting. I'm getting very tempted to pull the trigger but I've got a few concerns.

First is the art. I know some of what's shown is placeholder but it's not clear what is and isn't final. I'm struggling to get an idea of what the finished game is going to look like. The completed Goblin Shaman card looks great but the Hero cards really aren't to my taste. Are these also final art? Any chance of more of the concept art being put up on BGG or the Kickstarter page?

My second concern is about the quality of the rulebook and attention to detail on the production. The Kickstarter page doesn't inspire confidence - it isn't as clear as it could be and parts of it aren't very well written. It contains spelling and other errors which backers have pointed out in the comments. I appreciate this is being put together by a small team who no-doubt also have day jobs. If the choice was between a great game or a spiffy Kickstarter page then I'd take the former every time. But I hope the errors on the Kickstarter page aren't symptomatic of an overall lack of attention to detail.

£26 isn't cheap. But it's very reasonable for a good-looking, well-produced game that includes a clear and error-free rulebook. At the moment I'm not sure that's what I'd be getting.

Anyone else have similar concerns (clearly not many given the number of backers already )? If you're a backer, what was it about this game that convinced you to put down your hard-earned? I'm really in two minds so would appreciate hearing others' thoughts. I've only backed a few Kickstarters (only one of which has fulfilled so far) so I'm not sure if my expectations are too high or my worries are unfounded?

Cheers.

----EDIT 23-Nov-2016----
Since posting my original concerns the creators have made quite a few changes to the Kickstarter page. They have also provided a better idea of what the quality and look of the final art on the Hero cards is going to be - see Update #11 on the Kickstarter page.

In my view, this a great improvement on the original art shown on the Hero cards and has gone a long way to answering my concerns about what the finished product is going to look like.

Pretty sure I'm backing this now. Next dilemma - do I go for the Sewers add-on as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a backer...but I'm keeping a close eye on it. I have the same concerns as you but I wanted to automatically get the updates and all that.

Gameplay sounds great, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmb
I have a generally very good feeling about this one, so I backed it. I love the idea of a solo RPG-style game, even if that's often a pipe-dream. I like the art, I think it's actually pretty nice in a low-key kind of way (I'm glad it's not another game with a World of Warcraft giant armor and everything glowing kind of art style).

I think the price point seems pretty decent as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andyo76 wrote:

First is the art. I know some of what's shown is placeholder but it's not clear what is and isn't final. I'm struggling to get an idea of what the finished game is going to look like. The completed Goblin Shaman card looks great but the Hero cards really aren't to my taste. Are these also final art? Any chance of more of the concept art being put up on BGG or the Kickstarter page?

I have the same concerns regarding the art, so you're not alone with your thoughts. I wasn't too happy about the heroes being all male because of 1) my GF wanting to play female characters and 2) just for the sake of gender equality. Then I looked again and wasn't sure: is the forgehand supposed to be a woman? The game box cover art might suggest that this is indeed the case. And in a forum post around here Kev Young said: "As you know the 4 Heroes in the Caves set are 2 Female 2 Male, deliberately so." So the student is probably the other female? Sorry, but I don't really see it. To me, it's 4 dudes and 2 of them have no beard and look a bit elvish.

Edit: had another closer look at the student in a preview video and I guess it might be a younger girl (hence student).

I still backed because I think the Goblin art looks awesome and I very much like the idea of an rpg-esque card game with lots of content. Just yesterday I played a chapter of Grimslingers and I really enjoy this kind of immersive card game.

I don't think your worries are unfounded but for me, this is a much more "real" kickstarter than those from CMoN or Gamelyn (which could just as well be preorders). Inspiring Games has a good pitch with Legends Untold, they already have some content and they seem to care and want to make this a great product. So I'll try and help them with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the £45K SG the occupation cards are 2 sided. Male/Female.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
Since the £45K SG the occupation cards are 2 sided. Male/Female.

Oh wow, didn't believe you until I checked. Is this new? Totally missed the goal because I didn't see anything about it in the (numerous) updates. Thanks for the info! That's a great thing to have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys thanks for continued support and interest in the game.

I'm going to put up an update about art shortly which should answer all questions about art direction and exclusive vs kickstarter rewards.

The intent is to have all of the characters split 50/50 male/female and if we can unlock it through stretch goals all of them will be gender reversible.

I appreciate art is subjective but we are trying to canvas thoughts on the style you guys like so that we can show you the final version.

I hope the update will help you with that.

Thanks again, not lost on me that we need to keep you happy if we want you to invest in our game!

Cheers
Kev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
daskre wrote:
...this is a much more "real" kickstarter than those from CMoN or Gamelyn (which could just as well be preorders). Inspiring Games has a good pitch with Legends Untold, they already have some content and they seem to care and want to make this a great product. So I'll try and help them with that

You make a good point. Their vision of where they want to go with this is pretty exciting and the chance to be in at the beginning and help make it happen is enticing.

Like I said - I'm really on the fence. Luckily the Kickstarter's got a while to run so I'll keep an eye on it and see if I get swayed either way in the coming weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Ducker
msg tools
mb
Hi Andy, we are planning on updating a lot of the art that is in the prototypes we've sent for preview.

Given the fantastic backing we've had to date on kickstarter, we're planning on spending a lot of the money we raise on improving the look and feel of the game. Good art isn't cheap and to date we've been investing what spare money we have to get the game to where it is.

We'll be at the Glasgow Games convention this Saturday (http://www.glasgowgamesfestival.com/)

and Dragonmeet the following weekend (http://www.dragonmeet.co.uk/)

If you can make either of those, feel free to come have a chat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Hugh and Kev. Thanks for your replies - it's good to know that some of the art is going to get a re-visit.

Sadly I won't be able to make it to either of the events Hugh mentioned but the IG team's willingness to engage here, via Kickstarter comments and irl says a lot about your commitment to making this a success. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
----EDIT 23-Nov-2016----
Since posting my original concerns the creators have made quite a few changes to the Kickstarter page. They have also provided a better idea of what the quality and look of the final art on the Hero cards is going to be - see Update #11 on the Kickstarter page.

In my view, this a great improvement on the original art shown on the Hero cards and has gone a long way to answering my concerns about what the finished product is going to look like.

Pretty sure I'm backing this now. Next dilemma - do I go for the Sewers add-on as well... [/q]

Hi Andy - I was in the process of drafting a long explanation and then saw this edit. As you say we have changed the art hugely.

For those that may not have seen the update you mention I attach the art style that we will be adopting for Legends which is produced by two professionals, a comic illustrator in America draws the piece which is then coloured by an artist in Australia.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes
Kev and Hugh at Inspiring Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I bumped up to add the sewers and have no doubts that this is worth backing. They've really done a great job at explaining their vision and what the final stuff will look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
jbethany wrote:
Yeah...I bumped up to add the sewers and have no doubts that this is worth backing. They've really done a great job at explaining their vision and what the final stuff will look like.

I want to do the same, but I'm still finding exactly HOW to do this a bit confusing. What exactly did you add in terms of funds as -- from my interpretation as an Early Bird buyer -- I have to add funds as opposed to selecting another Kickstarter package option.

I want the sewers for sure, though. I don't want/need 2 cave sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bobby Factor wrote:
jbethany wrote:

I want to do the same, but I'm still finding exactly HOW to do this a bit confusing. What exactly did you add in terms of funds as -- from my interpretation as an Early Bird buyer -- I have to add funds as opposed to selecting another Kickstarter package option.

I want the sewers for sure, though. I don't want/need 2 cave sets.

Well, mine was easy as I wasn't an early bird (missed it by about an hour) so I just modified my pledge to the new pledge level that included both.

However, all you need to do is go to manage your pledge. You'll still keep the Early Bird Scout level (or whatever it is) selected but where it says how much you are pledging you simply type in 46. At the end of the campaign when you get your pledge manager you will get to say what exactly you want the extra funds to go towards. In your case, you will select the sewers add on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
Jesse:

Brilliant! That all makes sense now. Checked my pledge manager and I'm good to go. Much obliged for the clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.