Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Black Mana And Day rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
My friend and I have a disagreement and I decided to bring this to you guys so you can tell him I'm right ha.

Basically my friend wanted to use black mana from the Source during the Day Round and I said the only time you can use black mana is during the dungeon. His argument was that an action card (unfortunately I cannot recall which one) said to take any mana from the Source. I said that black mana is off limits, period, during the Day unless if you're in a dungeon or it specifically said you may take black mana from the Source. IIRC there's few cards where you may roll any mana die regardless of color and I think that's where he got confused.

So. What do we all say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can gain black mana, but you can't use it. You are not allowed to take a die if you can't use it unless a cards say otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Hello, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of Mage Knight after ordering it. I've been looking at the rules and watching youtube presentations in readiness for it's arrival! From what I have heard and seen is that black mana can only be used at night, in dungeons and for other specific things, so I'd say you are correct. I'm sure you will get a definitive answer shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks...

and I WON I WON

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
36142 wrote:
Hello, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of Mage Knight after ordering it. I've been looking at the rules and watching youtube presentations in readiness for it's arrival! From what I have heard and seen is that black mana can only be used at night, in dungeons and for other specific things, so I'd say you are correct. I'm sure you will get a definitive answer shortly.

Yes, do not forget that night rules apply in dungeons. No matter the if it is day out night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Sörhuus
msg tools
Probably the card Mana Draw. In that case you can use the card to set a black dice to another color (or set it to black of course - the only way to get black mana via you basic cards). But you can never use black mana during the day.
Dungeons, Tombs and Graveyards/Necropolis (in Shades of Tezla) are exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The right way to think about it is: gold mana cannot be used unless day rules are in effect, and black mana cannot be used unless night rules are in effect. Sometimes during the day, night rules are in effect.

The artifacts Amulet of the Sun and Amulet of Night also affect use of gold and black mana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Sörhuus
msg tools
Erich said it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erich_schneider wrote:
The right way to think about it is: gold mana cannot be used unless day rules are in effect, and black mana cannot be used unless night rules are in effect. Sometimes during the day, night rules are in effect.

The artifacts Amulet of the Sun and Amulet of Night also affect use of gold and black mana.

However, it is important to note that nothing prevents you from taking a die showing black mana, as long as you are not using it for black mana. Mana draw, mana search, mana storm and a number of other effects can interact with black dice just fine, regardless of round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
My friend and I have a disagreement and I decided to bring this to you guys so you can tell him I'm right ha.

Basically my friend wanted to use black mana from the Source during the Day Round and I said the only time you can use black mana is during the dungeon. His argument was that an action card (unfortunately I cannot recall which one) said to take any mana from the Source. I said that black mana is off limits, period, during the Day unless if you're in a dungeon or it specifically said you may take black mana from the Source. IIRC there's few cards where you may roll any mana die regardless of color and I think that's where he got confused.

So. What do we all say?

You are not giving us enough info to answer clearly.

Did he want to cast the strong version of a spell (not allowed), or did he just want to turn/roll/convert the die to another colour (which IS allowed)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
barinthus wrote:

So. What do we all say?

You are not giving us enough info to answer clearly.

Did he want to cast the strong version of a spell (not allowed), or did he just want to turn/roll/convert the die to another colour (which IS allowed)?

There aren't that many cards/effects that specifically mention the source. They usually just say "spend x mana" so this leads me to think that Dulkal is probably onto what is actually in question. I'm guessing it as Mana Draw which says to take any mana die from the source which could be a die showing black mana. The only restrictions for black mana is for using black mana during the day, which is not allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.