Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Sylvania
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've adopted shelving my games vertically because it supposedly puts less stress on the boxes. However, it puts more stress on me because my boxes slide open and everything shifts inside. The cards and components shift in the insert and then I have to resort everything.

I understand this won't happen if they are all snug but once I take one off the shelf to play, I have to worry about the rest still on the shelf.

I once got a game in a trade that was wrapped in a single belt of some thin plastic that stuck to itsel. I don't know what this is but it is magical. (No it isn't a rubber band.)

I don't know what the stuff is called or where to find more but that is the only game that stays closed.

Any suggestions on this or other solutions for keeping my games closed and intact on the shelf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the bits inside your games should be bagged. Then it doesn't really matter if the box isn't quite tight... nothing will get too much out of order.

But you can get elastic strapping at a craft store and sew it into a loop. This has the advantage over a rubber band that it won't degrade and "melt" onto your box over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go to the dollar store and buy hair bands. Cheap and effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
I once got a game in a trade that was wrapped in a single belt of some thin plastic that stuck to itsel. I don't know what this is but it is magical.

That would, in fact, be "Hugo's Amazing Tape" -- truly wonderful stuff!

cool

PS edit: It's easily found on both Amazon and eBay, and sometimes can be found at a real bargain price on eBay if you buy two rolls or more. I've found the half-inch width to be best for multi-purpose use, since it can also be easily used to wrap things like decks of cards *within* a game.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do nothing special, bags or storage methods such as foam core or inserts that don't suck. It matters now, the game is fine. No other items needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's simple, pack your games up so components sit better when the box is stored vertically.

Usually when you pack up a game, you re-bag all components and put everything back into the box so that everything packs well when stored flat. Instead, pack everything in such a way that they'll sit flat with no sideways slippage/pressure when the game is stored vertically. Put all boards, rules etc. in the bottom as per usual, then pack heavier/chunkier components against the side of the box that will be at the bottom when stored, then pack other components against these, so that when the box is stored vertically, they'll sit on top of the heavier/chunkier components without slipping sideways too much.

I do this with all the games that I store vertically, and no longer have any issue with box lids being pushed open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Make sure you have enough on the shelf so that the games are flush. That should help out your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Mykkanen
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
TWrecks wrote:
I once got a game in a trade that was wrapped in a single belt of some thin plastic that stuck to itsel. I don't know what this is but it is magical.

cool

PS edit: It's easily found on both Amazon and eBay, and sometimes can be found at a real bargain price on eBay if you buy two rolls or more. I've found the half-inch width to be best for multi-purpose use, since it can also be easily used to wrap things like decks of cards *within* a game.

meeple

I store everything vertically. I used to use Hugo's Amazing Tape. It works wonderfully with one caveat. Because it sticks to itself, if every game box is wrapped in it, they will stick to each other and make pulling games from the shelf difficult.

I now use these:
Grifiti Big-Ass Bands X Cross Style 9"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1ERHDQ/ref=pd_sim_229_...

The 9" bands fit TTR size boxes. The 12" are for stuff like Mage Knight. and I use 6" bands for smaller stuff like King of Tokyo sized boxes. They are speedy, but I love them because I'm a bit anal about boxes staying closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I understand this won't happen if they are all snug but once I take one off the shelf to play, I have to worry about the rest still on the shelf.

Take one of the other games out and just put it on the floor or something. Then, you should have enough room to tilt another game on the shelf at a 45 degree angle to prop up the rest.

When you return the game you've played, all will be well again.

Also, the first thing I do after unwrapping a game is ditch the insert. Everything goes in bags or bead sorters. I get some people like them, but I find bags and such more to my preference.

You could throw my games off a roof and I would just have to gather the bags up. (And then gorilla tape any tears in the boxes.)

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scroll down to "Box Bands".
http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/other.htm
Also (usually) available at your FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
The cards and components shift in the insert and then I have to resort everything.

That's your problem, right there. Ditch the insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Handyman's secret weapon - duct tape...

Just kidding. I bag everything, and then try to store the boxes tight so they don't open due to the force of the other games keeping them closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mb
+1 for hair bands. I use hair bands of different sizes for all kinds of storage solutions and crafts. They work great where rubber bands will easily snap or turn gummy.

I should add, they are very cheap and available at any grocery or drug store. I have butt length hair irl so I usually have way too many lying around. If I could only figure out where they all go....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fill the shelf with original shrinkwrapped games and never play them. Problem solved! gulp SCNR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about velcro dots inside the lid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Sylvania
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep the inserts because I often trade games. I could keep them elsewhere, like in the giant pile of shipping boxes I refuse to throw away but I don't want to have to hunt the insert down later.

One example is Carcassonne. I have many expansions in the one box. With no inserts, even bagged, it presses the lid outwards.

I ordered some Hugo's Amazing Tape, so I'll check that out. I'm also going to get some of those Box Bands, mentioned here. This will help when I'm on the go with my games as well so they don't shift open in my game bag.

Thanks for the great ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hugo's Amazing Tape is, well, amazing, but it is also very expensive. A rumour hereabouts is that "erotic toy shops" sell it for much, much less (like 10-20% of the cost) and call it "Bondage Tape". The disadvantage is that it comes in black, apparently...

ninja

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DNAmers wrote:
It's simple, pack your games up so components sit better when the box is stored vertically.

Usually when you pack up a game, you re-bag all components and put everything back into the box so that everything packs well when stored flat. Instead, pack everything in such a way that they'll sit flat with no sideways slippage/pressure when the game is stored vertically. Put all boards, rules etc. in the bottom as per usual, then pack heavier/chunkier components against the side of the box that will be at the bottom when stored, then pack other components against these, so that when the box is stored vertically, they'll sit on top of the heavier/chunkier components without slipping sideways too much.

I do this with all the games that I store vertically, and no longer have any issue with box lids being pushed open.

This!

Top down view, Boards and tiles stack with their edges to the box edge that will become the "bottom", on top of that stack any plastic box holding counters and your bagged or deck-boxed cards in the empty spots, near "top" box edge your various bags of dice, minis, tokens, etc.

SWIA was quite challenging to figure this out for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Aberdeen
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

cool
PS edit: It's easily found on both Amazon and eBay,

Also available at horse tack/pet shops, it's called "vet wrap". Usually about $3 a roll. Inexpensive and works like a darn. Plus no sticky residue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:

Hugo's Amazing Tape is, well, amazing, but it is also very expensive. A rumour hereabouts is that "erotic toy shops" sell it for much, much less (like 10-10% of the cost) and call it "Bondage Tape". The disadvantage is that it comes in black, apparently...
ninja
Susie_Cat.

You can usually get them in many colors, but not transparent. Or at least transparent ones are very expensive. But yes - good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puggeroni wrote:

Also available at horse tack/pet shops, it's called "vet wrap". Usually about $3 a roll. Inexpensive and works like a darn. Plus no sticky residue!

No, that's something else. Its hard to separate these rolls again and they usually cannot be reused. Bondage tape can be reused pretty much forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snapdragon23 wrote:
+1 for hair bands.

I cannot believe how many people here are recommending hair bands. I would never let these guys around my games. Have you seen what they do to hotel rooms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

kilrah wrote:
Susie_Cat wrote:

Hugo's Amazing Tape is, well, amazing, but it is also very expensive. A rumour hereabouts is that "erotic toy shops" sell it for much, much less (like 10-20% of the cost) and call it "Bondage Tape". The disadvantage is that it comes in black, apparently...

ninja

Susie_Cat.

You can usually get them in many colors, but not transparent. Or at least transparent ones are very expensive. But yes - good choice.

I bow to your superior knowledge and won't ask where you got it!

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Aberdeen
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
puggeroni wrote:

No, that's something else. Its hard to separate these rolls again and they usually cannot be reused. Bondage tape can be reused pretty much forever.

Interesting! I've used vet wrap for my games without issue though. Also got some game bands through GameBoxMonthly; I think they're from Pegasus Games. Giant rubber bands, similar to those used to keep ceramic molds together. Wide and rubbery but easy to remove. Love those too.

Gotta love the resourcefulness of BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do stuff like this -

Its a little more time consuming than things mentioned in this thread but if you love a game put a foamcore on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.