8 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Discussion and poll for solo challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am making this a separate thread for visibility in case any non-participants want to chime in. First off, here are my current plans for the weekly challenge:

* Each week should have a new starting occupation with no duplicates for as long as possible.

* I plan to track the first 3 dark brown occupation cards in each game. These are the most likely to be played, and I plan to also avoid duplicates with these as long as possible. This means we should gradually move through all starting occupations and dark brown occupations, with each dark brown occupation getting a chance at good utilization (first 3 cards drawn). If anyone has a strong opinion here, I could also lower this to the first 2 cards drawn.

* Unless I hear strong opinions otherwise, I mostly plan to focus on legal challenges. Especially with so many new players and rules questions as the game gets distributed and reprinted, I'd rather avoid confusion about the rules. However, I may still occasionally do a rules-breaking challenge, especially as time goes on, or if there's a lot of interest. An example would be something like "Any two-viking space gives you an extra silver".

* I plan to keep writing tiny stories to connect the challenges. I hope this amuses some of you.

* I plan to have a mix of mechanical and thematic challenges. On week might require certain action spaces be used. Another week might include cooking-themed occupation cards.

* I'm already tracking two leaderboards and would prefer not to add another leaderboard for optional challenges, but I may reconsider as time goes on.

Now, a poll. You can click everything if you're truly interested in playing them, but please put some thought into it so the poll data is high quality.
Poll
What direction(s) do you want to see the weekly solo challenge go in?
1. Choose as many as you like. Which of these would you like to see in weekly challenges?
Legal, but unlikely, challenges (e.g. "you may not use crafting actions")
Challenges with themed elements (e.g. I select cards and spaces related to cooking)
Starting occupation comparison (player must choose 1 of 2, or 1 of 3 when they start the game)
Challenges that actually change the game rules (e.g. 3 or 4 colors are used in solo mode so you block yourself for even longer when you choose an action)
Occasional (monthly?) challenges with no restrictions, just a plain solo game with a fixed occupation deck
2. Choose as many as you like. How hard do you want challenges to be?
Challenges that are medium difficulty (like the first three challenges)
Occasional (monthly?) challenges that are HARD difficulty (many restrictions and/or tough restrictions)
Occasional (monthly?) challenges that are VERY DIFFICULT (essentially a puzzle where only a few paths may succeed)
      49 answers
Poll created by GAFBlizzard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Downum
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're doing a fantastic job! Keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Dalen
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I hope this amuses some of you.

I'm definitely one of those people, I love those short flavourful stories

Your doing a great job at these challenges, GAF Blizzard! I really enjoyed the challenges of this contest so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohammad Ali
msg tools
I actually hadn't seen the other thread so now I'm very, very excited to try a few of the past challenges out, blind mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fzghoul wrote:
I actually hadn't seen the other thread so now I'm very, very excited to try a few of the past challenges out, blind mode.

Same here. If I have the time, I'll join up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! With almost 50 votes in, the major conclusions I've drawn are:

1. It seems roughly 25% of the people who voted regularly participate in the challenge. This may mean participation grows nicely once more people get the games in their hands. I know the game was hard to find for a while.

2. Most people (84%) want medium difficulty challenges. I hope to occasionally do a tough week (56% hard votes, 24% very hard votes), and occasionally do a vanilla rules week (44% of votes).

3. Most people want themed elements (75%) and technically legal rules (63%). I hope to occasionally do occupation fights (52%) and rule-changing challenges (29%).

People can continue to vote or make suggestions of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, after the challenges we have played, I think I am lowering my blacklist length to the first 2 dark brown cards. The 3rd dark brown card typically takes too long to get for it to have as much effect as you want, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.