Popular Tags: [View All]
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Island F reads "Each enmity adds 2 to the garrison."

Is this meant to double the defensive effect of Enmity here, or does it stack with the enmity effect? Also, does this effect apply to players other than the owner of the enmity?

Example: suppose red has an enmity on Island F (and nobody else does). Does red lose 3 dice per when raiding (normal effect +2 extra garrison for each) or 2 dice? Does green lose two dice when attacking due to red's enmity?

This hasn't mattered yet, but everyone at the table was wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Denning
msg tools
Re: Island F question (spoilers tagged)
I would guess the first. There's also an island that has each enmity increase costs by two; we just took it as, "Each enmity increases the garrison by 2, instead of 1."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That seems reasonable. The main reason I ask is because enmity in the rules is not described as "increasing the garrison", but as a separate dice reduction.

However, the island doesn't have much room for text, so it's definitely possible that this was intended as a shorthand for exactly that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
That seems reasonable. The main reason I ask is because enmity in the rules is not described as "increasing the garrison", but as a separate dice reduction.

I think that's rather pedantic. Structures with the garrison symbol are also listed as "a separate dice reduction", but surely their effect is just the same as if they increased the garrison. So with enmity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a literalist would have an argument that the net effect would be -3 dice per enmity. But I believe the intention was for it to be -2 dice per enmity (in place of the normal -1 dice per enmity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:

I think that's rather pedantic. Structures with the garrison symbol are also listed as "a separate dice reduction", but surely their effect is just the same as if they increased the garrison. So with enmity.

Maybe. If a game component were to ask me what the garrison value of a location was, I would assume that structures with a garrison symbol counted toward that because they have a garrison symbol. But I wouldn't assume my enmity counted toward it because nothing else that I can recall refers to enmity's penalty as garrison.

(I mean, thematically it makes sense to treat that as "garrison directed at a single player", but nothing actually says to. And even if it did, this island isn't clear whether it's a replacement for the normal penalty or an addition).

In this case it's not 100% clear (to me at least) that the island only hates on the specific people who have attacked it. The flavor text made it feel like they were bristling at everyone. The idea that they'd garrison up against *everyone*, no matter whose enmity was placed, doesn't feel like much of a stretch without that flavor.

(Assuming the +cost per enmity island had a similar flavor, I would again be uncertain. Haven't discovered that island yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I'd go with each is 2 instead of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.