Subject: What sets this apart from other games of the same genre? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
This is an expensive game so I'd like to know what sets this game apart from similar and cheaper ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What genre do you consider it to be in?

I backed the kickstarter on theme and art alone, so I don't know if my reasons would be compelling to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's streamlined in its elegance. There aren't any ground breaking new mechanics, but it all comes together well.
There are great choices to be made in your decision tree during the game. I'm about 10 games in and I'm still interested in playing more. The game scales well at 2 or 3 or 4 players.

It's expensive because it's from Japan, where everything is very pricey compared to what we pay in North America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think first of all, the artwork. It is very evocative and quite different from a lot of other games. Secondly the Theme comes through vividly through the gameplay, everything makes sense. The rondel mechanism in this game is one of the best implementations of the system imo and it makes for some insane player interaction. The turn order manipulation is also very interesting and it requires a nice amount of thought each round. The game also scales great with all player counts. Two plays radically different with a dummy system that is very well put together imo. The three player is ridiculously good and the sweet spot I think. Overall for me, It's a work of art and it will never leave my collection. I wholeheartedly recommend this game to any Eurogamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
This is an expensive game so I'd like to know what sets this game apart from similar and cheaper ones?

What games do you think are similar? Looking at your profile, you own three games which I don't know, which makes it hard for me to give an answer relative to what you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.