Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When have you done this? Why? How did it work out for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gerritsen
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it when I have captured 5 or 6 Austrian cities but doubted I could hold them. Then I was able to concentrate on the western side of the map. Didn't quite work- the Prussians won when I had just 1 victory marker left. But I would definitely do it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In my experience Reduced French Military objectives has been fairly common. There are several compelling reasons to do it:

1) Once France has captured some fortresses in core Austria, it tends to be difficult to capture more without surrendering the ones it already has (not to mention defend the Bavarian fortresses which are targets for Austria). A clever Austria player is always looking to circumvent the enemy in order to threaten its supply; with only one supply train France will be very stretched out and vulnerable if it tries to both defend what it already has and capture more. Bavaria can help but as aforementioned someone has to protect its homeland from Austrian invasion. France/Bavaria just don't have enough generals and especially supply trains to go deep into core Austria.

2. If Austria is getting clobbered by Prussia, then reducing military objectives and playing for the longer game makes a lot of sense. Why gamble that you'll win before Prussia? Much better to reduce military objectives and let Austria hold off the Prussians while you swing your entire force around to overrun the Netherlands for the win. Since Austria can still attack Bavaria, you need to be careful that you're not handing the game to Austria! It is a delicate balance.

In fact, I'd say that reduced military objectives and the annexation of Silesia are both tools players have at their disposal to affect the balance of power, which is one of the reasons why this multi-player war game works so well. It's a very brilliant design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
It's a very brilliant the best design ever.

Corrected some typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Reducing French military objectives is pretty common for us. More common than Austria agreeing to Silesian annexation.

Most common I've seen is France quickly taking 3 fortresses and then immediately vacating Austria, often racing a general over to Flanders. Taking 5 and not losing any before you vacate is more difficult and doesn't seem as worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of threads on this already, where you can see more detailed posts from the regulars in these forums, so I highly recommend checking those out.

Essentially, as has been mentioned, it's quite difficult for France to hold a sizable chunk of Austrian territory indefinitely, particularly if Austria isn't currently fighting Prussia. Much better in many cases to make peace (reducing military objectives is best as part of a deal with Austria) and focus on Flanders, either as part of a large deal eoth Austria near the beginning or later when the attack slows down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:

2. If Austria is getting clobbered by Prussia, then reducing military objectives and playing for the longer game makes a lot of sense. Why gamble that you'll win before Prussia? Much better to reduce military objectives and let Austria hold off the Prussians while you swing your entire force around to overrun the Netherlands for the win. Since Austria can still attack Bavaria, you need to be careful that you're not handing the game to Austria! It is a delicate balance.

IMO, this is the reason that I do it most often. I've also used it when taking a beating on the Flanders map to prevent spending excessive amounts of cards in two theaters.

In Maria, the balance never feels like a metagame. The things that help a clobbered opponent are incentivized by self-interest. Damn! What a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.