$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 71.57

4,938 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
31.1% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: So really ... there's no "campaign" here (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Jandt
msg tools
Finished up Night of the Zealot the "intro" adventure and realized ... well, there really is no campaign here.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I was playing Roland. Starts with 5 Sanity. First scenario ... suffered 1 mental trauma. Cool. Still got 4 and picked up an Elder Sign to give me 4 more.

I finished the last scenario and the BEST I can hope for is 2 more trauma.

So, yeah, Roland leaves the first set of scenarios with 3 mental trauma so I start every scenario from here on out with 2 Sanity.

WTF?


And before this gets buried in, "Well what did you expect from an HPL inspired game?" Yeah, I knew that going into this, but didn't expect when one of the key aspects of this game is the campaign feature and leveling characters up between scenarios that they would be hamstrung out of the gate.

And, yes, yada yada yada your game you can always change it, but come on ... don't promise a campaign. At least say up front ... hey those characters in the box ... after Night of the Zealot you will want new ones. Hey in Dunwich we are giving you all new characters to give you a fresh story.

If this were pitched like American Horror Story with different characters each season (Cycle)and you could grow them during that cycle and retire them after, cool.

But let's put away the notions of this being a "campaign."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core set is the campaign. You're done. Dunwich starts a new campaign and you will use new starting investigators. You can use a new Roland if you want for that.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbie is correct. The end of the campaign book explains that the experience gained and trauma suffered at the end of the campaign is meant to better illustrate your character's epilogue. In your case, Roland is a mentally shattered shell of himself.
But that has absolutely no effect on other campaigns you might play. So worry not!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
msg tools
Okay, I missed that the core set was its own campaign.

That would explain the Night of the Rougarou costing experience to play, too. Adding in one off scenarios into a campaign thread should balance out some with potential experience gain.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ahhh! I hadn't realized this but it makes perfect sense to me and only lends to my admiration so far of this experience!
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Robbie is correct. The end of the campaign book explains that the experience gained and trauma suffered at the end of the campaign is meant to better illustrate your character's epilogue. In your case, Roland is a mentally shattered shell of himself.
But that has absolutely no effect on other campaigns you might play. So worry not!

In this horror setting the use of the word 'campaign' does seem appropriate. I've RPGd Call of Cthulhu for years and few characters ever seem to last long. The Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign was brutal and not a single original character survived to see it's conclusion! I wonder if FFG will license the rights from Chaosium to produce an epic Arkham Horror Card Game version of that campaign?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or we can just go on realizing that there is in fact a campaign here and it's central to the game. I'm guessing this is all now overcome by events considering you didn't realize The core set was it's own separate "intro" campaign. Are you still of the opinion that there is something flawed with the campaign system in this game? It is still possible that an investigator could die or go insane during the course of a campaign and that would require you picking a new investigator and building a new deck. Does that bother you?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go on using Roland in Dunwich if you want. Maybe include some more cards that heal those starting losses.

In any case eventually Roland will die. When that happens you pick up where Roland left off with a new character as per the rules. I do find that aspect of character death and story continuation quite interesting.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuka 75
France
flag msg tools
new user
Using investigators from a campaign to another one is seen as "hardcore mode" if you read the rules.

So, yep, you can play Rolland in Dunwich. Don't forget also that a mental trauma is not a diminution of total sanity, but merely (sic) a horror damage that you can still heal during the game.

By the way, good job finishing the campaign with Rolland with the best ending. I got steamrolled in the last scenario.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravynlocke wrote:
If this were pitched like American Horror Story with different characters each season (Cycle)and you could grow them during that cycle and retire them after, cool.


That is exactly how they pitched it:

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ravynlocke wrote:
Okay, I missed that the core set was its own campaign.

That would explain the Night of the Rougarou costing experience to play, too. Adding in one off scenarios into a campaign thread should balance out some with potential experience gain.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.


Well, it is quite possible to continue Roland's story.

Try to replay campaing and get as few trauma as possible.
Quick tip for 1st scenario - it possibly the best to resign instead of fighting Ghoul Priest. This will save you that one mental trauma.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The OP sure jump the gun on this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
All these forums have taught me is that in a game about reading cards and flavor text, no one actually reads anything. yuk
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also likely that the Dunwich campaign won't throw trauma around as much as Arkham, since it's a much longer campaign.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
It's also likely that the Dunwich campaign won't throw trauma around as much as Arkham, since it's a much longer campaign.


Another option is that certain resolutions to a chapter will give you the option of healing some trauma. Did you save the innocent family? Erase 1 mental trauma. Risk great odds to save the doctor? He patches you up, lose 1 physical trauma.

But, yeah, without some sort of trauma control it'll be interesting to see how an 8-part campaign keeps the investigators in enough of a piece not to be dead before part 6.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:

But, yeah, without some sort of trauma control it'll be interesting to see how an 8-part campaign keeps the investigators in enough of a piece not to be dead before part 6.


Well, we'll have a pool of ten Investigators, and the Campaign Rules permit a new Investigator to come in at any point, so the Players should be able to make through a Campaign even if their first choice for Investigators don't. Of course, that would mean playing the later Scenarios with Level 0 Cards...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren W
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
Another option is that certain resolutions to a chapter will give you the option of healing some trauma. Did you save the innocent family? Erase 1 mental trauma. Risk great odds to save the doctor? He patches you up, lose 1 physical trauma.

But, yeah, without some sort of trauma control it'll be interesting to see how an 8-part campaign keeps the investigators in enough of a piece not to be dead before part 6.


I wonder if we'll see leveled up cards with the permanent trait that heal trauma at the beginning of a scenario. E.g. Convalesce - 2xp, remove one health token from your character at the beginning of the scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Cat wrote:
Gaffa wrote:
Another option is that certain resolutions to a chapter will give you the option of healing some trauma. Did you save the innocent family? Erase 1 mental trauma. Risk great odds to save the doctor? He patches you up, lose 1 physical trauma.

But, yeah, without some sort of trauma control it'll be interesting to see how an 8-part campaign keeps the investigators in enough of a piece not to be dead before part 6.


I wonder if we'll see leveled up cards with the permanent trait that heal trauma at the beginning of a scenario. E.g. Convalesce - 2xp, remove one health token from your character at the beginning of the scenario.


I hope not. Accumulating Trauma is and should be part of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
We also went into this game with the idea of having a single character through multiple campaigns. While the official rules allow for this, it's heavily discouraged by the Trauma rules. Which is why we house-ruled them
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren W
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Ghost Cat wrote:
Gaffa wrote:
Another option is that certain resolutions to a chapter will give you the option of healing some trauma. Did you save the innocent family? Erase 1 mental trauma. Risk great odds to save the doctor? He patches you up, lose 1 physical trauma.

But, yeah, without some sort of trauma control it'll be interesting to see how an 8-part campaign keeps the investigators in enough of a piece not to be dead before part 6.


I wonder if we'll see leveled up cards with the permanent trait that heal trauma at the beginning of a scenario. E.g. Convalesce - 2xp, remove one health token from your character at the beginning of the scenario.


I hope not. Accumulating Trauma is and should be part of the game.


I agree but I like the idea of having the difficult decision of decicding whether to spend your xp on upgraded cards to make your deck better or spending them to recover from the horrors of the last scenario. Maybe 2xp is too cheap for a card that would help you mitigate against trauma.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Ghost Cat wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
Ghost Cat wrote:
Gaffa wrote:
Another option is that certain resolutions to a chapter will give you the option of healing some trauma. Did you save the innocent family? Erase 1 mental trauma. Risk great odds to save the doctor? He patches you up, lose 1 physical trauma.

But, yeah, without some sort of trauma control it'll be interesting to see how an 8-part campaign keeps the investigators in enough of a piece not to be dead before part 6.


I wonder if we'll see leveled up cards with the permanent trait that heal trauma at the beginning of a scenario. E.g. Convalesce - 2xp, remove one health token from your character at the beginning of the scenario.


I hope not. Accumulating Trauma is and should be part of the game.


I agree but I like the idea of having the difficult decision of decicding whether to spend your xp on upgraded cards to make your deck better or spending them to recover from the horrors of the last scenario. Maybe 2xp is too cheap for a card that would help you mitigate against trauma.


It's not much of a decision yet, as there aren't that many good and expensive upgrades for most characters. Also, as long as you stay sane, you know you'll get more xp.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised to see a permanent asset that increases your health or sanity. This would be fair considering you would still be limited to 2 (or 1 if it's exceptional) and they could also limit it by class.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.