Hide
6 Posts

Bios: Genesis» Forums » General

Subject: How often are people getting terrestrial macro organisms? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dobby
msg tools
As the title says, I'm wondering how often people are getting terrestrial macro organisms! I'm loving this game so far. I still haven't played a "full" game yet...been playing as all 4 players, slowly introducing the different parts.

First game: Ignored climate, no viruses, no macro organisms, etc.
Second game: No viruses; last event prevented me from creating my first macro organism.
Third game: No viruses; evolved two (marine) macro organisms (Flatworms and Lamp Shells). I was two turns away from two terrestrial macro organisms!

So how often are people getting to the terrestrial level? Are you getting there because you got all of your organs? Or are you moving up because it becomes "overcrowded" and you are able to evolve up easier?

It seems like you need to evolve to micro pretty quickly to have enough time to get to terrestrial? Although it speeds up the game to the Age of Oxygen so maybe you need to slow roll it and just get a ton of mutations so you have extra cubes which can become organs and jump start your terrestrial transition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's anything like Neanderthal, I don't expect people to get terrestrial macroorganisms often.

It is a good goal to aspire to, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unless I have been playing wrong the whole time, it helps to have several bionts - even of different colours - in a microorganism, because each biont owner can make one mutation purchase/promotion per biont per round. That helps getting the cubes/organs you need in order to evolve pretty fast. This works in cooperative or solo play only of course.
I once had a bacteria form in the geothermal vents at the dawn of the archaen era with 2 bionts and all 4 or 5 chromosomes. I named it Rambo because it consistently produced catalysts during Darwin rolls, and managed to deflect gene errors with rerolls and blue chromosomes. It became a snail evantually. Rambo snail was top dog.
EDIT: Rambo snail also assimilated two AI parasites as endosymbionts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello from Karlsruhe Franz. An exciting adventure, and I can imagine a subsequent Bios Megafauna game with continents filled with gigantic green clams, herbivorous snails, and carnivorous Cephalopods.

You mention AI, so obviously you were playing solo. May I ask how you find the solo game victory conditions, and the solo play in general? Did you win with Rambo snail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Hello from Karlsruhe Franz. An exciting adventure, and I can imagine a subsequent Bios Megafauna game with continents filled with gigantic green clams, herbivorous snails, and carnivorous Cephalopods.

You mention AI, so obviously you were playing solo. May I ask how you find the solo game victory conditions, and the solo play in general? Did you win with Rambo snail?

I haven't played that many solo games so far, three maybe, and so I haven't really paid very much attention to the victory conditions as written in the rule book. My main focus was to learn the game, how things interact and evolve, and have something still alive at the end of the game. As a coincidence I met the victory conditions for solo play just by trying to stay alive. This strife to stay alive, however, plays out very differently from game to game, and while Rambo snail managed to stay alive until the end, other microorganisms were hammered by temperature extremes and dioxin oxygen spikes, were weakened by parasites and succumbed to error catastrophies, and were going extinct left and right. You can take precautions only so far, but in the end the dice results and events can turn against your organisms. I was lucky several times both with the dice rolls (e.g. quadruple 1s twice, thanks lipid vesicles!) and events (e.g. triple snowflake then a sun, what a relief! Or vice versa). This makes for a peculiar thematic experience considering the actors are microbes, the setting is made of chemical compounds, and the script is written on an astronomic scale. "Oh no, my precious bacteria! Damn you sun flares!"
In the end, I think that there is enough to explore for solo players, especially when you try to go for the prime macros, the ones that require quite a lot of chromosomes/organs, just make something up and set that as a goal. This might also work nicely in a cooperative play. Nevertheless, I think that this game will really shine as a competitive game, because players will be fighting a two-front-war against the other players and the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolving beyond the microorganism stage is tough for me. I find that timing isn't as much of an issue as my inability to mitigate poor dice rolls happens to be! I feel a certain brand of brutality when forming life and honestly, that's how it should be.

When progressing into bacteria or a form of macro-life, there's a lot of satisfaction to be felt. I like a good challenge in a game and much like getting my creatures evolved well enough to avoid cataclysm in Bios: Megafauna, I think Genesis has the same amount of stress and tension when finding the right chromosomal setup to create brand new forms of life. Just when the stars are aligned, error catastrophes begin to occur and things all of a sudden fall apart...

Frustrating as all get-out, but equally as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.