Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The rule book states:

"Depending on which type of card you play, you must either place the card face-up in front of you (if it is permanent or limited) or carry out its effects and place it on the discard pile (if it is immediate).
By the way, it does not matter which Era the card you play belongs to. You may play cards from earlier Eras."

The strict wording of the rules would suggest that the discard pile could end up consisting of cards from multiple eras if and when you have to shuffle it to form a new deck.

Is that really what you do or do you keep the cards segregated by era and only reshuffle the current era's cards? Or is this a non-issue because it would be highly rare to have to reshuffle the discarded Improvements at all? Though even if it's rare, I would be curious to know how people who already own the game are handling this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's great danger of the discard pile running out, at least with the two players I prefer to play this. Maybe if you have four library-using players, but that's not a game I'd like to play.

I'm sorting the used cards by era, but only to make cleanup easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this seems very rare. If it ever happens, I would only shuffle the discarded improvement cards from the current era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Scholar Colony in play, a reshuffle of the discard pile is actually likely. In our 2p game yesterday only one of us had the Scholar Embassy and we almost ran out of cards in in Era 1,2,4 and had to do a reshuffle in Era 3. If we both had build the Scholar Embassy I'm sure we would have had to reshuffle in all Eras.

That said, we discarded improvements from earlier Eras out of the game. And since the Scholar Colony acts as the Library we allowed to draw 4 and keep 2 cards during the production phase for the Scholar Embassy. We assumed this was the correct play, but please let us know if we've been playing that wrong.
Edit: this is answered here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible that cards from multiple eras end up in the discard pile. That's ok. Remember though: when you start a new era, remove the draw and discard pile of the previous era(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.