Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Remora's wild flare rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamás Viszlói
Hungary
flag msg tools
Hi everybody!

If someone try to use a flare card but somebody get him card zaped, can I still use Remora's wild flare?
(The card says: When another player USES a super or wild flare, you may draw a card from the deck)

Thank you in advance for your answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that the playing of the flare, zapped or not, constitutes using it.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends upon whether the designer meant "is attempting to use" or "used and was not canceled."

Not knowing the design intent, I would try to figure out what plays best. In doing that, I would first identify a couple of related questions:

• Is the card drawn when the other player's flare is first declared, or after it has had its effect?

• If the card is drawn when the flare is first declared, and it happens to be a Card Zap, can it then zap the other player's flare?

Given those questions, I would probably opt to avoid timing messiness and treat Wild Remora as though it said "After another player uses a super or wild flare and was not zapped, ...." It's not super-elegant, but then neither is trying to clarify whether a Card Zap drawn as a result of playing Wild Remora can or cannot zap the flare that allowed Wild Remora to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
qq1x wrote:
Hi everybody!

If someone try to use a flare card but somebody get him card zaped, can I still use Remora's wild flare?
(The card says: When another player USES a super or wild flare, you may draw a card from the deck)

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Let's say for the sake of argument that a player puts a flare card down and declares that he's using it. Then presto, both a zap and Remora's wild flare hit the table from two other players at the same exact time. Is it a timing conflict? Is it clear? First let's looks at the where the rules mention zapping.

Rules Zapping Power pg12 wrote:
Occasionally, a game effect (such as the “Cosmic Zap” artifact) is said to zap a power. This can only happen when the power is used as described on its alien sheet. The effect of that power’s use is then canceled and that power may not be used again until the end of the current encounter.

So, it was used, but nothing happend. A careful eye catches the detail that this rule refers only to powers on the alien sheet--and not those granted by flares. Ugh, so this grants us no further clarity.

Card Zap wrote:

Negates Cards. Play this card at any time to negate a flare or artifact card just a player attempts to use it. The flare or artifact must then be discarded.

This indicates otherwise, and the language about use has changed from the alien power language. If the language was consistent with Power Zap then it would be clear. It negates a card entirely, as a player attempts to use it. Doesn't sound like it's used (but I've been wrong before). So let's explore this case, one is going to have to go with timing and treat this as a series of interrupts. When several cards hit the table by different players, we always sort it out by timing rules (even when they weren't at the same time). This may is a house rule--there is no clarity in the FFG rules on this.

Timing wrote:

When timing conflicts occur, resolve effects in the following order:

1. The offense.
2. The defense.
3. Players who are not the main players, starting with the player to the left of the offense and proceeding clockwise.

If Remora wild flare is the offense, they would get to use it first before the card use is negated by another player. If instead the zapper was the offense, it would be negated. Etc. This just feels awkward to me for some reason.

The cosmodex offers no answers.

This type of timing interpretation is not what everyone uses, some tables use order received unless simultaneous (which I avoided by stating they were).

Personally, I think using the intent of "Zapping Power" is the easiest and clearest interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.