Subject: Monsters and splitting damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amanda Champion
United States
California
flag msg tools
new user
I just picked up a copy of Betrayal and played a few games, my group and I are having a blast so far but during our second game we ran into a question we couldn't quite agree on.

So, as adventurers we can choose to split physical damage between might and speed, right? Can monsters do the same thing, or, more specifically; can the vampire bats from scenario #24 do this? Because they have 2 might and 5 speed, which seems to make sense because they're flying through the entire house pretty quickly but shouldn't be too tough to kill, but the traitor in our game was subtracting damage from them using speed first, the way a player could, so the bats essentially had 7 HP. This, to me, seems way too powerful. The bats can take 7 damage before they eventually fall (almost as much as some players) and the traitor can have up to 24 on the board at a time? Our group got completely swarmed and ended up being killed because there were just too many to deal with and the suckers just wouldn't go down fast enough.

Now, granted, we got a bad omen roll and initiated the Haunt way too early this particular game, so all the players were under-powered, (maybe some better gear would've saved us in this scenario), but for future reference; can monsters split the damage between physical stats like players can, or should those vampire bats have really only had 2 HP from their might stat and speed only been used for movement rolls?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually you can't kill monsters, but just stun them.

Making a successful attack against a monster would stun it, turn the monster counter over to the S side. On the monsters next turn, turn the counter back to the normal side.

You can only kill monsters if it's specifically stated in the scenario, in which case the rules for the scenario will tell you how to kill the monster.

I've seen special rules where you can't hurt a monster without having a specific item, or monsters that are killed immediately with a specific item, or other rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Secrets of Survival says, "You can attack a Bat, including a Bat attached to you or another explorer, with a Might attack. If you defeat it, it’s killed instead of being stunned." So bats don't take damage; they just die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Champion
United States
California
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks a lot, PJ, we must have missed that. I knew those bats seemed to have way too much health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.