Hide
5 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » General

Subject: Merchants & Marauders: The Old World (A pipe dream) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P C
msg tools
After recently receiving the Seas of Glory expansion, my group have been playing it constantly. This is a fantastic game, and the expansion only makes it more addictive.

I was thinking about where another expansion could take this game, not that it needs one, but pipe dreams are always nice to have. So I'm picturing a green coloured box (M&M is brown, SoG is blue-ish, so why not a green-ish box?). Inside there is a fold out map of a portion of old Europe, sea-zones and zone rules all specific for their areas. Also contained would be new packs of event cards, rumour cards, and missions all specific for the Old World. In addition there may missions, events, rumours referencing the Caribbean (To be mixed in should you decide to go completely mad and run the two maps together)...

Ideally The Old World could be played on it's own, to give you a different setting to the Caribbean. However I'm also picturing setting up the Caribbean map, and the Old World map next to each other. In between there would be a narrow (3 inch wide, 12 long) Atlantic insert of sorts, indicating a link from the Caribbean's St John, Bridgetown, and Trinidad sea-zones to... well a few other sea-zones in the Old World. To cross the Atlantic it would take a full turn. Perhaps there could be a small card deck that sits on this Atlantic insert (High Seas deck?), and if you make the crossing you draw a card to find out if any trials or tribulations happen during that journey.

It think at this stage, having reserved a large dining room table and kissed your loved ones goodbye for an eight hour (plus) Merchant-a-thon, it would be nice if there was a set of orange and gray ships for an additional couple of players (Hell, we can spend the increased downtime just admiring the majesty of everything combined).
Finally, throw in a couple more modular mechanics, another ship class, more Captains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and you could incorporate the Barbary pirates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A behind the scenes note. When doing Seas of Glory I had a Europe module at one point. Not with an entirely new map, but more like the link you describe. Players could sail there to complete different (mainly trade) quests there. Selling 5 of the same good, selling 5 different goods, etc. I just never got it to work, but didnt spend a lot of time on it either. So it's not that it couldn't work, I just chose to focus on the Caribbean. arrrh

Valgar wrote:
After recently receiving the Seas of Glory expansion, my group have been playing it constantly. This is a fantastic game, and the expansion only makes it more addictive.

I was thinking about where another expansion could take this game, not that it needs one, but pipe dreams are always nice to have. So I'm picturing a green coloured box (M&M is brown, SoG is blue-ish, so why not a green-ish box?). Inside there is a fold out map of a portion of old Europe, sea-zones and zone rules all specific for their areas. Also contained would be new packs of event cards, rumour cards, and missions all specific for the Old World. In addition there may missions, events, rumours referencing the Caribbean (To be mixed in should you decide to go completely mad and run the two maps together)...

Ideally The Old World could be played on it's own, to give you a different setting to the Caribbean. However I'm also picturing setting up the Caribbean map, and the Old World map next to each other. In between there would be a narrow (3 inch wide, 12 long) Atlantic insert of sorts, indicating a link from the Caribbean's St John, Bridgetown, and Trinidad sea-zones to... well a few other sea-zones in the Old World. To cross the Atlantic it would take a full turn. Perhaps there could be a small card deck that sits on this Atlantic insert (High Seas deck?), and if you make the crossing you draw a card to find out if any trials or tribulations happen during that journey.

It think at this stage, having reserved a large dining room table and kissed your loved ones goodbye for an eight hour (plus) Merchant-a-thon, it would be nice if there was a set of orange and gray ships for an additional couple of players (Hell, we can spend the increased downtime just admiring the majesty of everything combined).
Finally, throw in a couple more modular mechanics, another ship class, more Captains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P C
msg tools
And we can only thank you for the Caribbean focus, because Seas of Glory is inspired.

So, Europe will always be the one that got away.

Unless... arrrh (My apologies, I have a strange way of spelling Instabuy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.