Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jone Idsal
Other-Asia
Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmb
I've played the game many times now. Both 2,3 and 4 player.
And I love this game.
But after each game I end up with the same conclusion.
To be last when starting game is a big disadvantage.
When i counted the score vs numbers of round i end up with each round give an average of a little more than one point.

If u are the last player, you end up with one round less then 1,2 or 3 players, or at the best (if first player triggers end game), the same amount of turns.

Since the score have been tied several of the game I've played, this is a big disadvantage.

I'm gonna try out a house rule.
The end game card give 0 point if u are first player, 1 point if you are 2. or 3. player, and 2 points if you are 4. player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
In theory the disadvantage of possibly being short a turn should be offset by more stuff (resources and meadow tiles) being on the board during your turns, on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
Also see This thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience has led me to the same conclusion as Jone. Although I haven't thought about house rules. I haven't played recently, but IIRC, I think first and 2nd are equally ok, and 3rd and 4th are at a disadvantage. I'm not sure the end-game bonus needs to scale turn order linearly. I'm also not sure about trying to resolve strictly by the bonus on the game end card. But let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could bid points for turn order like they do in Puerto Rico tournaments.

2010 World Boardgaming Championships wrote:
Going around in [random order], each player will [mark] a bid value ranging from 0 to 5.0 VP (in increments of 0.5 VP) on a chart to be furnished by the GM. Bids may be zero but in all instances must be higher than any previous bids for a particular seat. Any player who has been outbid will have his/her marker removed and will, when his or her turn comes, bid again--either a higher value for the same seat or a different amount for another seat. A player whose bid is not topped by another bid does not get another bid -- instead the bidding goes around to the next player without a bid marker in play. The process continues until all players' bid markers are on a different seat, with the resulting bid representing the VP handicap to be assigned for that particular game. These VP handicaps will be noted at the top of the particular seat position (1, 2, 3 or 4) on the scoresheet above the player's name and will be subtracted from that player's VP total at the end of the game.

You should use fractional bid values. It might actually be best to work in thirds, but it doesn't really matter. I believe that going first is worth at least 4/3 of a point over last place. If your bids stabilize over several games, please report what they are. You might want bidding to follow distribution of private orders, in which case there may be some variability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.