Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lainie Theys
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Geek 2016!

These are the tireless volunteers who gave up some of their gaming time to make sure the convention was such an incredible success! Please take a minute to thank them for all their hard work. Just to name a few of the things you may not have realized they were doing:

-Load in pallets and library shelves, haul hundreds of cases of games and supplies, and get everything to it's final home (for the con and all the vendors, in a manner of hours)...and then pack it all up again when you were most likely already home and resting
-guide you through registration
-stock the shelves (over and over again) with your free games
-clean the empty Coke cans and Cheeto bags off the tables when the last group forgot to throw them away
-make sure the cameras, GeekBuzz, Artemis, and library software was always up and running
-teach you the hot games (and Artemis)
-set up for, and clean up after, every special event
-put away your library games, straighten the shelves after hours, and prepare the library for opening at 8am each day
-open up the exhibit halls at 8am for vendors, provide security for them, and open them up to the public at 10am
-shut down the exhibitor halls each day at 6pm
-provide bag checking at strategic locations to make sure no one was crashing the party
-collect donations for the grand prize giveaways on Saturday night, group them into manageable (and AMAZING) bundles, and deliver them to the winners
-set up the dexterity games and hot games, and re-set them up every night/morning
-notify the hotel staff when a room was to be locked down, opened up, cooled off, or (cough) "needed attention"
-helped you find the right game to play, for six eurogamers, without auctions, in 45 minutes or less (before you left for Hard 8), and most definitely NOT with a medieval trading theme
-welcomed you with a smiling face, no matter how early in the morning it was, what mess they just had to deal with, or how tired they may have been
-and all around just made sure that every attendee had an opportunity to have the best convention experience possible.

THEY are the lifeblood of BGG.CON. They are Team Geek.

I can't thank them enough for all they do. The next time you're at one of our conventions, please take a minute and let them know you appreciate their efforts. BGG.CON (and BGG.CON Spring) simply wouldn't exist without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Team Geek! Fantastic con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for all of your hard work!

Every one of you made my first time a very positive experience. A special thank you to those of you who made me feel less like an overwhelmed orphan and more like a valued member of friendly community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PHX Gamer
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the work that you did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great (and smoothly run) BGGcon down!

Great work, guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Pence
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fantastic work again, and as always! See you in 2017!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to say how impressed I was at how much faster check-in was this time around. When I arrived around 1:30 on Wednesday, I was expecting a 1-2 hour wait; as it is, I think there were 2-3 people ahead of me in line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
I just want to say how impressed I was at how much faster check-in was this time around. When I arrived around 1:30 on Wednesday, I was expecting a 1-2 hour wait; as it is, I think there were 2-3 people ahead of me in line.

This was an amazing improvement - I think this will greatly improve the line situation in future years... one reason people get in line early is to avoid the hours-wait to start playing games if you wind up at the back of the line - now that is mitigated completely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Geek is an amazing group of folks who work tirelessly to ensure you guys have the best BGG.CON possible, and they do a heckuva job. I'd like to also call attention to some of our "retired" Team Geeks, who, although not on the schedule at all, generously lent a helping hand when we needed them. The fact that we have a handful of veterans who bring their old jerseys "just in case" speaks volumes about their character and willingness to help out. All of Team Geek, active and otherwise, are great folks...and I agree, we couldn't do it without them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
wmspringer wrote:

This was an amazing improvement - I think this will greatly improve the line situation in future years... one reason people get in line early is to avoid the hours-wait to start playing games if you wind up at the back of the line - now that is mitigated completely!

I couldn't agree more. I have every intention of getting in line right at 10am next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung

Paradise Valley
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the work and helping out!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
woot and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job. This was my first BGGCon. I plan on being at more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having run science fiction conventions of the size of BGG.con, I know how much the volunteers can affect things - for good or for ill. BGG.con is blessed to have a top-notch group of volunteers who do the thankless tasks while everyone else (myself included) is having a good time. Thanks to all of them! They're a large part of why BGG.con is the best convention I have ever attended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
At least a few of us think we get the better part of the deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my second year. I was thanked several times by con-goers.

I developed a short motto for Team Geek, "service above self".

We're here to make sure everyone has a great time! I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Particular thanks to the people who did the usually-thankless task of badge checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Longstreet
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all so much, you make all the difference in keeping the Con running, as well as fostering that awesome sense of community that makes BGG Con special.

Cheers and see you next year!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
It was an absolute pleasure being on Team Geek this year. Just a couple of my favorite stories from my time serving this week:

* Seeing the look and reactions on first timers' faces at registration when we told them they got a bunch of free games! You'd think it was Christmas from the way some of them reacted .

* While checking on the x25 rooms, I ran into a couple of people playing one of my favorite games, Le Havre. They were trying to learn from the rule book, so I spent some time with them teaching them how to play the game and giving them tips on strategy. Hopefully, we now have three more Le Havre fans for life!

* Also while checking the x25 rooms, I ran into people playing Catacombs (third edition). If you've never played the game, it's basically a board with a bunch of discs that you fling around and try to hit each other. Well, this group was having a ton of fun with it. The bad guy was playing a spider, and every time he hit someone, he'd do a spider dance in celebration. But when he was hit, he'd lose a leg, so his spider dances used fewer and fewer of his extremities over time. Then one of the good people was named the Chicken Champion, and she was having fun doing the funky chicken dance as much as she could. With my personality, it didn't take me long to become friends with them, and by the end of the con, whenever we'd run into each other, we'd be doing funky dances and we finished off with a group hug. It was awesome .

And I could go on. Making all of you have a better experience gave me a better experience than I ever had as just a regular attendee. So thank you for letting us serve you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
I say it every chance I get - Team Geek is one of the main reasons BGG.CON is the special thing it is. We're so grateful for people who like facilitating a great party so much and sometimes more than actually participating in that party.

THANK YOU TEAM GEEK!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU ALL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love being on Team Geek! This was my second year on the crew, and I can't imagine not doing it in the future. I'm so proud to work with such an amazing group of people to put on the best weekend of the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lina688 wrote:
I love being on Team Geek! This was my second year on the crew, and I can't imagine not doing it in the future. I'm so proud to work with such an amazing group of people to put on the best weekend of the year!

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just curious.. I've been attending for four years now, If I was interested in joining Team Geek, is there a process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep your eye on this board. Usually in February, they post a thread saying they're looking for Team Geek volunteers. The thread will link to a Google doc where you fill out a bunch of information. Fill that out, and then a couple of weeks later, you'll be informed if you were selected or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.