6 Posts

Inis» Forums » Rules

Subject: a little confused about pretender tokens and victory conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I had a really hard time understanding the relationship between victory conditions, pretender tokens, and actually winning.

So if I meet a victory condition I can spend my turn taking a pretender token, which i need to claim victory during the assembly phase. That much is clear.

(1) if I meet a second victory condition, can I take another pretender token? or does one pretender token count for all your victory conditions? (while watching the SUSD review I was under the impression you could take more than one pretender token.)

(2) if you lose your victory condition do you lose your pretender token? and if you don't lose it, and the end of the round comes around, can you still win as long as no one else has a pretender token?

(3) if the game ends and one person has a pretender token, they win. but if two people have a pretender token, and no one has the bren then no one wins and we go on to play another round?

Thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirstevie3 wrote:
So I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I had a really hard time understanding the relationship between victory conditions, pretender tokens, and actually winning.

So if I meet a victory condition I can spend my turn taking a pretender token, which i need to claim victory during the assembly phase. That much is clear.

(1) if I meet a second victory condition, can I take another pretender token? or does one pretender token count for all your victory conditions? (while watching the SUSD review I was under the impression you could take more than one pretender token.)

You don't need more than one. Having a pretender token means you will be trying to claim victory at the start of the next round. It may be successful or not, depending of the number of victory conditions you fulfill at that time.

sirstevie3 wrote:
(2) if you lose your victory condition do you lose your pretender token? and if you don't lose it, and the end of the round comes around, can you still win as long as no one else has a pretender token?

No, you keep it. See above. The start of the next round will show if your claim is still valid or not. If you don't meet a victory condition, you just give it back when victory is checked (and you don't win in that case). You may even win with another victory condition than the one you originally took the token for.

sirstevie3 wrote:
(3) if the game ends and one person has a pretender token, they win. but if two people have a pretender token, and no one has the bren then no one wins and we go on to play another round?

It depends on the number of victory conditions they fulfill. If one of them fulfills more than the other, he/she wins. If they both fulfill the same number, the game continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the number of victory conditions they fulfill. If one of them fulfills more than the other, he/she wins. If they both fulfill the same number, the game continues.
Unless one of them is the Brenn, in which case that player wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
Unless one of them is the Brenn, in which case that player wins.

(None of them being the Bren was part of the question )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Barbati
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
sirstevie3 wrote:

You don't need more than one. Having a pretender token means you will be trying to claim victory at the start of the next round. It may be successful or not, depending of the number of victory conditions you fulfill at that time.

That is correct, but actually the rule forbids choosing the Pretender action if you already have the Pretender token. This is important as it ensures that the game progresses. Without the rule, it might be possible to reach a stalemate situation in which two players, both having fulfilled one or more victory condition, choose indefinitely the Pretender action hoping to make the last move in the Season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iaanus wrote:
Benji68 wrote:
sirstevie3 wrote:

That is correct, but actually the rule forbids choosing the Pretender action if you already have the Pretender token. This is important as it ensures that the game progresses. Without the rule, it might be possible to reach a stalemate situation in which two players, both having fulfilled one or more victory condition, choose indefinitely the Pretender action hoping to make the last move in the Season.

Just to be a pain in the ass: it would not be indefinitely, because there is a finite amount of pretender tokens. But actually you are right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.