United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know that the ability to place and complete a coastal chain is dependent upon opportunity (dice matching the pool) and demand (dice values greater than the chain price) and filling everything after which players get their price in revenue. Part of what helps define that requirement is that there are no coastal NPC tokens, so someone has to place an enterprise there in order to complete it. For the inland chains, is the requirement the same or because you *could* fill the inland chain with smugglers/bureaucrats, it just needs to be filled with something and then traced back for the one time bonus by the person who played that conspiracy to fill it? Did I miss something in the printed book related to this (I'm referencing 7.4 as the major focus, with help from 5.3.2 and 5.3.4 in terms of placement and 7.1 which doesn't state that players have to occupy it, just that the spots have to be filled).

On the assumption that the above is "yeah, you can complete them without player enterprises there since the pertinent piece is the bonus revenue in 7.4" then I have the follow up questions:

Bonus question: I'm assuming 7.2 as applied to inland chains means that to complete them, you have to have demand there. What happens if someone places two bureaucrats there? Does it just kill the region until a war occurs and targets that region to remove them allowing a future smuggler to come in and create demand? I'm assuming that would be a yes to the second and a "yeah, nothing happens without demand" for the first.

Second bonus question; assuming the chain isn't complete, and one places a missionary, thus creating demand, do they get to select the originating supply line as that chain is now completed and triggers 7.4? Again, assuming yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:

On the assumption that the above is "yeah, you can complete them without player enterprises there since the pertinent piece is the bonus revenue in 7.4" then I have the follow up questions:

Bonus question: I'm assuming 7.2 as applied to inland chains means that to complete them, you have to have demand there. What happens if someone places two bureaucrats there? Does it just kill the region until a war occurs and targets that region to remove them allowing a future smuggler to come in and create demand? I'm assuming that would be a yes to the second and a "yeah, nothing happens without demand" for the first.

I should probably wait for Cole to chime in, but I would also assume you can fill and inland chain with NPC tokens. However, I don't see why that necessarily "kills" the region. You could probably undersell the bureaucrats with a low value smuggler unless I'm misunderstanding something. Not to mention underselling with your own merchants using special envoy or opening the region via opium war.

Quote:
Second bonus question; assuming the chain isn't complete, and one places a missionary, thus creating demand, do they get to select the originating supply line as that chain is now completed and triggers 7.4? Again, assuming yes.

Rule says whoever takes the action that completes the chain chooses, so yeah I'd assume yes for that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MplsMatt wrote:
[q="143245"]
However, I don't see why that necessarily "kills" the region. You could probably undersell the bureaucrats with a low value smuggler unless I'm misunderstanding something.

5.2.4; have to match type of token placing, so I interpret that as "no replacing bureaucrats with smugglers" since they are different types and have different placement rules.

Just kidding about that. 5.3.4 (circa 6th line down) probably trumps that. Carry on.

edit2: added aprox line number of the "they can do that" reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:

Yup!

In fact, this is a really useful way to get coastal chains operating at a loss or thin margin to pay for themselves. New players almost always overvalue the price of coastal chains (esp in open ports).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
143245 wrote:
I'm assuming 7.2 as applied to inland chains means that to complete them, you have to have demand there.

Even without dice in a region, would it be possible to create a zero-price inland supply chain with a combination of the two zero-price bureaucrats and/or zero-price merchants placed using envoys, as long as it could trace a path back to a coastal supply chain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mfwesq wrote:
143245 wrote:
I'm assuming 7.2 as applied to inland chains means that to complete them, you have to have demand there.

Even without dice in a region, would it be possible to create a zero-price inland supply chain with a combination of the two zero-price bureaucrats and/or zero-price merchants placed using envoys, as long as it could trace a path back to a coastal supply chain?

That is a good question because, as you note, there are two "zero" bureaucrats. The rules would permit this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the original coastal chain is broken that was used to chain to an inland chain, does everyone in the coastal chain involved lose an additional 1 revenue since the internal chain is broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
If the original coastal chain is broken that was used to chain to an inland chain, does everyone in the coastal chain involved lose an additional 1 revenue since the internal chain is broken?

Nope. The bonus is never revoked, and, if the inland chain is broken and then completed again there will be another bonus.

This may sound like an easy exploit but it's a lot harder to pull off in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.