Subject: Next step from Memoir 44/Battle Cry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My son is 6.5 and we have been playing Battle Cry and more recently, Memoir 44. I got to thinking, hes very bright and will probably want to go deeper than the Commands and Colors system someday. What is a good "next step" game, that is readily available (in or out of print, but not unobtainable?)

I was thinking about Avalon Hills old Gettysburg lr something but there may be better options I am not aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quebec 1759 or 1812 from Columbia Games would be my next step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter OHara
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly Napoleon from the same source (Columbia Games), or one of the Hold the Line Series from Worthington Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
My older boys are 7 and 8 1/2, and my daughter is 5 and just starting to learn some more complex games. Games we've had a lot of success with:

A House Divided
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Small World
Field Command

Good luck, and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C: Ancients is a bit of a step up in complexity from Memoir.

Nexus Ops is a fun game, though it might be better with more players.

If you can get a copy, Heroscape worked great when my son was that age.

Small World has a lot of back and forth conflict, without being too complex.

I realize these aren't really war games, but I tend to think something with a lot of theme is best for a 6 y.o.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Heroscape is the go-to game for this age group, simple rules with remarkably complex play available. It's worth picking up in the used market. One hell of a game for adults too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

Quoted for truth. And, imho, the sweet spot of the Commands And Colors system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, these are great. He loves family history and so far we have had a relative in each conflict we have gamed, so that adds interest. We have The Great War yet and plenty of Memoir 44 left to play but those are good ideas. He also loves a lot of non-war games,but those are special favorites. Catan, Castle Panic, etc. Rotate in a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes Awakening the Bear!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Tide of Iron ..... Currently on sale in the FFG Holiday sale. Then from there.... Conflict of heroes...Combat Commander/ Old school Tactical etc..... Advanced Squad Leader... Joining the military whistle

I also heard Ars Victor was pretty fun, but have yet to play a game, and you might also want to look at Heroes of Normandie. (cartoony tiles make for a fun experience with kids)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He has basic Battlefield games down, now try him on Strategic. Academy Games 1775: Rebellion, and 1812: The Invasion of Canada are very good gateway war games, simple, cubes for armies, momentum swings back and forth, excellent starter strategic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
battler44 wrote:
My son is 6.5 and we have been playing Battle Cry and more recently, Memoir 44. I got to thinking, hes very bright and will probably want to go deeper than the Commands and Colors system someday. What is a good "next step" game, that is readily available (in or out of print, but not unobtainable?)

I was thinking about Avalon Hills old Gettysburg lr something but there may be better options I am not aware of.

If he's six I would stick with Commands and Colors for a few more years. Unless, of course, on his own, he begins rummaging through your wargames and asking about them. Even then, I wouldn't rush into introducing something more complicated.

And, I would at some point teach him Chess and Go. Great games for developing intellect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ars Victor" is indeed great fun, and kids will love the graphics.
"Old School Tactical" looks harder than it is to play; watch an online tutorial and you'll be able to teach it in a few minutes.

"A House Divided" is a very good recommendation for strategic. The Worthington Games "Holdfast" series (I especially like "Holdfast: Russia") is very easy to learn.

Don't forget about "Axis & Allies"!

There's a new edition of "Hold the Line" (American Revolution) coming from Plastic Soldier Company with lovely miniatures a la "Battle Cry."

PSC has also announced an upcoming Medieval battle game called "Arrowstorm" which will also have minis. It looks to be easier to learn than C&C: Ancients and the youngsters will love minis rather than blocks with stickers.

"Tank on Tank" is very good easily-learned tactical game featuring... TANKS!

"Old AH" "Gettysburg '88" is a great intro game, with optional rules to add a dash of depth and greater historical flavor, playable in a short enough time to hold attention (the mapboard is also great to take along, for anyone planning to tour the real battlefield).

A lot depends on the period/s the kids are interested in. Invite them to watch a couple of good historical movies and see what excites them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Tank on Tank: East Front is a very basic game with large counters (1") and all scenarios are playable under 45 minutes.

We balanced the early plays by letting my son have one mulligan a game which allowed him (or forced me) to re-roll one result a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ordered some Tide of Iron on the FFG website. Will throw that down in the basement for when hes older.

Will look at some of the others too. Couldnt find any more info about Arrowstorm although ot looked right up his alley.

Need to give my poor bank card a break anyhow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also picked up axis and allies 1942 for $4 at a thrift shop this summer. Appears complete and mostly unopened!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Haldeman
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17396/manoeuvre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rich
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
TAHGC's Smithsonian "Gettysburg" is good, as is the "Napoleon at War" and "Napoleon's Last Battles" series from SPI/Decision Games. And perhaps TAHGC's classics "Victory in the Pacific" and "The Russian Campaign."

But first I would try "1775: Rebellion."

GMT's American Revolution series is another option, say, Saratoga or the little gem Eutaw Springs. He'll like the tactical chit guessing game...(the original TAHGC "We the People" had that mechanic too; the updated "Washington's War" doesn't but might work too.

Then there's Fantasy Flight's "Wings of War"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.