Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Osborne
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the good fortune to play this game at BGG 2016.

In the game, there are five ship tiles to choose from (from a total of 10). The tile will give you ships to place on the board and a power. The better the power, the higher the number on the tile.

When a turn ends, players will have a new turn order based on the tiles you took and a number of face down tiles are turned face up to take the place of the selected tiles and the previously chosen tiles are shuffled in with the face down tiles.

When you place boats, you can either clear islands of the tokens that are there at the start... which allows you to buy heroes who give you some nifty powers during the game... or if you get the right colored boats around an island, you can build buildings (which score you points and maybe even some coins).

You can also buy one boat or sell one boat during your turn.

The game is a lot of fun and simply gorgeous to look at!

The money is already gone from my pocket! (Hard to wait until April!)

I won the game, but the final scores were 30, 29, 28 and 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn Petit
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like some mechanics from Five Tribes have been used here... clearing islands, buying heroes/djinns,... not that this is a bad thing, because I love FT, just curious to learn more about the gameplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Osborne
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... let me try to give you a better idea.

The map starts with random colored icons put on the islands.
There are certain tiles that if they are on the map, they are immediately removed... meaning some islands start open.

Ships MUST start on one end of the board and you place them in spots around the islands as you place them. You must place all your ships in a continuing path build off previously placed ships or coming in from one of the entry spots.

If you connect a ship on to a group the first ship must match the ship you're building off of.

You are allowed to keep one (and only one) ship from the ships you have for a future turn. If you end up with more than one ship that you didn't place for one reason or another, all the other ships are destroyed and kept on your play-mat (and they will become negative victory points at the end).

When you place ships you have TWO options. You can either take the tokens off the islands you move around OR you can try to get colored ships around an island so you can build one of the available buildings.

If you have tokens, you can use them to buy heroes (and that's an option no matter if you took tokens or built in the earlier part of your turn).

There are three kinds of buildings you can build. I don't know their official names, but you've got these temple arches, palaces or shrines, and you have a supply of houses. Building your houses on hills or next to the other kinds of buildings gets you bonus victory points. Building houses next to more of YOUR houses gets you bonus money (and it combines... so building on a hill next to a special building and next to one of your houses will get you victory points and cash.)

When one player has put all of their houses on the board OR when one of the ship colors is empties OR if you run out of hero cards OR if you run out of building cards, the game ends.

Hope that helps clear up some things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vorname nachname
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleMilo wrote:
When a turn ends, players will have a new turn order based on the tiles you took and a number of face down tiles are turned face up to take the place of the selected tiles

Sounds like Kingdomino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See Days of Wonder
See Bruno Cathala

Yep, instant buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn Petit
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im anxiously waiting for this one.

When Days of Wonder put out Quadropolis i felt that the game didnt really deliver. It just wasnt exciting enough. It felt like multiplayer solotaire with very little interaction. This game feels nothing like Quadropolis i hope

That being said five tribes is currently among my top 3 favourite games, if not number one. Do you think that Yamatai will be a success? I wonder if it will dethrone Five Tribes. When i got Five Tribes i was pretty new to the hobby so i wasnt really familiar with who Bruno Cathala was. I just recognized the name. FT was the game that establisbed his reputation for me, so im thinking Yamatai will be an instant buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Osborne
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it'll be a success. It's fast, it's easy to learn and it's quite attractive.

It's different enough form Five Tribes that I don't see a competition between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.