Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the game models the Romulan cloaking ability. However, if I recall correctly from the TV shows, the Klingons also have a cloaking ability. Does the game have a means for the Klingons to acquire cloaking eventually?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's one of the tech cards the Klingons can research as the game progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
I understand the game models the Romulan cloaking ability. However, if I recall correctly from the TV shows, the Klingons also have a cloaking ability. Does the game have a means for the Klingons to acquire cloaking eventually?

They bought surplus old cloaking tech from the Romualns, so their cloaks are never as good as the Romualns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the lore about Klingon Cloaks? Did they buy it from Romulans? Steal it perhaps?

I think I remember reading the D7 cruisers were a joint venture by both empires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
R2EQ wrote:
What's the lore about Klingon Cloaks? Did they buy it from Romulans? Steal it perhaps?

I think I remember reading the D7 cruisers were a joint venture by both empires.

Read my earlier post, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit of a Trek nerd, and I swear the original story was that the Klingons had better disruptor tech and the Romulans had cloaking tech, so they traded back when they were at peace. At the time, the cloaks were current gen tech, not surplus or old. The differences between them only grew over the hundreds of years after the trade.

Once Trek re-surged in popularity, a lot of retconning went on to make things fit better. I think the commonly found story that they traded D-7 cruisers for the tech is part of that retcon. On a day the Romulans were set to appear on TOS, the Romulan ship model wasn't available. So they simply shot with that they had, a D-7. LOL. Very typical for the time. If the Eaglemoss magazines have taught me anything, it's that the entire history of Trek is littered with ship modelers who made magic with about 1/10th the budget and time they should have had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

The Klingons actually gave the Romulans the Battle Cruisers in exchange for the cloaking technology.

As Scotty said, "That's a Klingon Ship"

Bu I remember a behind the scenes take done where I think it was Lenord Nemoy who explained that the prop department already spend so much of the Budget on the Klingon Battle Cruisers model and the Romulan wasn't near ready they decided to put in the background of a Klingon-Romulan treaty that was never mentioned in the show but was more inferred to. The Original had 3 D-7 Battle Cruisers aka Klingon Ships but with the Remaster they replaced one of the D-7s with the Romulan Bird of Prey from the TOS Episode "Balance of Terror".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The information I've seen recently said that it wasn't an issue of the Romulan filming model not being ready, but rather that the studio had licensed a model company to made D-7 model kits, and wanted to put the D-7 on screen as much as possible to demonstrate that they were supporting the license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
japester1 wrote:
I'm a bit of a Trek nerd, and I swear the original story was that the Klingons had better disruptor tech and the Romulans had cloaking tech, so they traded back when they were at peace. At the time, the cloaks were current gen tech, not surplus or old. The differences between them only grew over the hundreds of years after the trade.

Yeah, I believe that it said this in an earlier novel but was changed later, lol.

One of the newer ones said something to the effect of: why would Romualns give away their current gen cloak? They always want to keep the edge. Or something like that they put a bug in the cloak so that they could detect them or something. It's been a while since I read it too, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
[
Yeah, I believe that it said this in an earlier novel but was changed later, lol.

You might be right. I've read maybe 3-4 dozen of the novels over the years, plus all the tech manuals. And it gets a bit jumbled in my memory. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.