Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will we see a "Pax Treatment" for this game, similar to what was done for the two Lords titles?

I see a lot of potential to spruce up the game components and address some of the play balance issues (i.e. make it a better 'game' and hence more accessible to a wider audience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the other two PAX titles replaced the other two Lords titles in your collection? Would you play the Lords titles now that you have PAX?

I'm curious if I should hunt down some Lords titles for myself. Or if my PAX titles will hold me over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I'm at the other end of the stick, finding the older Lords games good, Lords of the Spanish Main excellent, but finding the changes into the Pax games to have also removed every hint of interest I might have had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaMilli wrote:
Will we see a "Pax Treatment" for this game, similar to what was done for the two Lords titles?

I see a lot of potential to spruce up the game components and address some of the play balance issues (i.e. make it a better 'game' and hence more accessible to a wider audience).

This is possible if enough interest is shown. A card version of Lords of the Spanish Main https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25618/lords-spanish-main might benefit from the Pax Renaissance map and trade route mechanism. The theme would emphasize the black market and the piracy in the Main, in defiance of the royal monopolies and general statism. Establishing colonies independent from Spain might also be interesting.

A "Pax Spanish Main" game may also benefit from ideas taken from "John Company" https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211716/johncompany, a game being designed/developed by Cole Wehrle. Both games would include trade made possible under superficially peaceful superpower regime, where free traders must accommodate local politicians and warlords, both European and native.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RvdH
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I'm at the other end of the stick, finding the older Lords games good, Lords of the Spanish Main excellent, but finding the changes into the Pax games to have also removed every hint of interest I might have had.

Have you played any of the Pax games?

I haven't played any of the Lords games, but in the Pax games I really enjoy the part where you have to keep each other in check. Even more so than in the COIN Series, since the strategies in the latter always feel samey to me. In the Pax games it's always a delicate balancing act to move yourself into a winning position, while at the same time avoiding a win by others. And the way you can give incentives to others is so deliciously subtle...

Especially in Pax Porfiriana I feel like all the players are playing their own version of Monty Python's Black Knight. "Oh, that enterprise you just nationalized? It's just a flesh wound."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
RvdH83 wrote:
Have you played any of the Pax games?

Yes, specifically Pax Porfiriana.

Quote:
I haven't played any of the Lords games, but in the Pax games I really enjoy the part where you have to keep each other in check.

I strongly recommend LotSpM, just don't expect the game to provide any mechanisms to institute game balance or for the game to be balanced at all. It is up to the players to figure out and implement that stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Please!

Sounds grand!

phileklund wrote:
DaMilli wrote:

This is possible if enough interest is shown. A card version of Lords of the Spanish Main https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25618/lords-spanish-main might benefit from the Pax Renaissance map and trade route mechanism. The theme would emphasize the black market and the piracy in the Main, in defiance of the royal monopolies and general statism. Establishing colonies independent from Spain might also be interesting.

A "Pax Spanish Main" game may also benefit from ideas taken from "John Company" https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211716/johncompany, a game being designed/developed by Cole Wehrle. Both games would include trade made possible under superficially peaceful superpower regime, where free traders must accommodate local politicians and warlords, both European and native.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TumbleSteak wrote:
Have the other two PAX titles replaced the other two Lords titles in your collection? Would you play the Lords titles now that you have PAX?

I have only played LotSM, so I cannot comment on the other two Lords titles. For me, while having GREAT theme, great historicity and simple rules, LotSM ultimately failed as a GAME. Even when relying on pre-stacking the draw piles. While it is true that a lot depends on the players balancing the game, a series of unfortunate random events (no new colonies, wars) can still result in a wrecked economy that makes for a bad experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaMilli wrote:
a series of unfortunate random events (no new colonies, wars) can still result in a wrecked economy that makes for a bad experience.

That's exactly what happened to me when I introduced a group of new players to LotSM, and they refuse to try again -- except for one guy who got himself elected president thanks to the sorry state of the economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would welcome a PAX treatment of LotSM! When is it shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.