Hide
12 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: First games with 4 epidemic cards - too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denniss James
msg tools
I have played 5 solo games so far to get used to the game before introducing it to our friends who come for a games evening each week. I've only played with 4 epidemic cards and so far haven't experienced one outbreak. Is this usual at the easiest level? Next time I intend to up the epidemics to 5 and we shall probably start our 4 player game at this level.What experience do others have when playing the first few games? I haven't yet won a game as I always run out of player cards!
One tip I picked up from this forum for playing solo was to use one of the spare pawns to mark whoever's turn it is to play. This has made a big difference as it's so easy to be distracted and forget whose turn it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah four Epidemics is super easy beginner mode. Always play with five at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 is super winnable. 5 is a challenge depending on the city distribution. 6 is really tough. My experience anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are losing because of running out of player cards, but have not had one outbreak, then you are spending too many actions worrying about disease cubes and not enough on trading cards and curing diseases. Four epidemic cards should provide a challenge for new players, but they should be able to beat 4 epidemic cards most of the time after a few plays.

That said, while I am not a great Pandemic player, I almost always introduce it with 5 epidemics, since 4 is so easily beaten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 is easy. 6 starts being a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know lots of people who find 4 epidemics hard.

Then again I've also met people who find 6 epidemics easy and yet
a) play open handed
b) don't actually play by the correct rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
MentalGuy wrote:
If you are losing because of running out of player cards, but have not had one outbreak, then you are spending too many actions worrying about disease cubes and not enough on trading cards and curing diseases. Four epidemic cards should provide a challenge for new players, but they should be able to beat 4 epidemic cards most of the time after a few plays.

That said, while I am not a great Pandemic player, I almost always introduce it with 5 epidemics, since 4 is so easily beaten.

That was my thought exactly.
I guess you (the OP) were not even close to winning? Just removing cubes from the board is always easy. Even with only 4 epidemic cards it can get quite tough to also cure the diseases, if you have bad luck drawing cards. So I guess it's not too easy for you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hansen
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
I know lots of people who find 4 epidemics hard.

Then again I've also met people who find 6 epidemics easy and yet
a) play open handed
b) don't actually play by the correct rules

Open handed play is permitted as an option by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand the question. If you are losing every game why do you think it's too easy? Pandemic is a balancing act between controlling infections and curing diseases before running out of time (player cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Denniss, I think you have to try to actually beat the game with 4 epidemic cards before you can say "it's too easy". Since you haven't yet won a game, I would say your experience so far has been "difficult". I wouldn't recommend playing with 5 epidemic cards as your first game with beginner players, particularly if those players get frustrated easily. Of course, you can go ahead and try 5 epidemic cards just to see how it affects the game and your actions. Remember, losing to outbreaks is just one way to lose of many, so not having any outbreaks is not indicative of a successful/easy game.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first played, I was glad to have only 4 Epidemics, as I felt lost among the 8 possible action choices, not knowing which actions would be useful until a few turns progressed.

That being said, I'd only use 4 until I won with a group of new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denniss James
msg tools
Thanks for all these replies. They've given me plenty of food for thought. I see the need for balancing out the clearance of cubes and I've obviously spent too much effort on this. I manage to cure 3 diseases but that last one always gets me, so will definitely take your suggestions on board.I didn't mean winning the game is easy when I said I'm playing at the "easiest level" - just that the game progressed very quickly. Perhaps I should have said "introductory", rather than "easiest" level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.