Subject: Conan Cross-over... was Mythic Battles an after-thought? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, i'm all-in on game-play content... but this Conan Crossover feels like an easy skip. It, frankly, seems like the Mythic Battles value is tenuous, and something they just did to help that box warrant shelf-space someday at retail?

I like the prospect of MB becoming a seriously competitive game, so I am inclined the get everything... but yeah... this one falls really flat for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
The content seems more extensive for Conan owners than for Mythic Battles owner. However, if you are going to own both, I'm sure it is a great buy. I'm going to pass this one up in addition to the RPG, but I appreciate their efforts to diversify the project and reach as many people as possible (ttrpg-ers and Conan backers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will most likely pass as well.

If there was a unique figure for the "kraken" included, I would get it, but I don't really like the idea of using an alternate card for an existing sculpt.
It just feels off, to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

If there was a unique figure for the "kraken" included, I would get it, but I don't really like the idea of using an alternate card for an existing sculpt.

Yeah, I'm disappointed that I might have to hunt down a Conan figure to be able to properly use the Kraken dashboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan backers wanted this (not to mention a winged ape and kraken) so... okay, give it to them. Best thing about crossover stuff, of course, is that you don't have to pay for (or paint!) new sculpts to go with all the additional gameplay (that is, you've already paid for the MB sculpt through the MB KS, so aren't paying for a new sculpt of it to go with the sculpt's Conan stats for the Conan add-on). And we're getting villagers, which can't be used in MB, but make perfect fodder for Conan and 28mm games. Wish they didn't look so tough -- that sack of grain is worth 1d6 damage alone.

Anyway, add-ons push up the funding level, so help reach SG's. Let someone else buy these add-ons so you can get free goodies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
Not considering this one either myself, I am still thinking about if I will go for expansions or not and which ones.

Problem with a cross over like this is that most people would most likely only go with conan or phanteon, and not both due to similarities.
Funds can be limited after all, these games take up quite some space if you expand them and many people tend to avoid investing in very similar games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Anyway, add-ons push up the funding level, so help reach SG's. Let someone else buy these add-ons so you can get free goodies!

I can agree with this.
Not a fan of winged apes in Greek mythology so it would mainly be the maps that I want. Although the villagers look strangely medieval, it would still have been nice to give them some more use in the game, like some sort of troops.

Oh well. I guess they will be in the all-in pledge so I will probably get them anyway. But as an add-on I must admit it's my least favourite. And well, there's always one least favourite ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Conan backers wanted this (not to mention a winged ape and kraken) so... okay, give it to them. Best thing about crossover stuff, of course, is that you don't have to pay for (or paint!) new sculpts to go with all the additional gameplay (that is, you've already paid for the MB sculpt through the MB KS, so aren't paying for a new sculpt of it to go with the sculpt's Conan stats for the Conan add-on). And we're getting villagers, which can't be used in MB, but make perfect fodder for Conan and 28mm games. Wish they didn't look so tough -- that sack of grain is worth 1d6 damage alone.

You're a DakkaDakka poster. Well met, sir. I'm Neomaxim.

I do concur though on the villagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
František Orálek
Czech Republic
Blansko
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Primary its meant to lure conan players into mythic battles, not to lure mythic battle players to buy conan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Leo said in the live stream that he will discuss with the team if they can make the mini available to Mythic Battle players. Hopefully you guys can get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not a Conan backer, didn't expect to be that bothered by this until I saw it. Either way, even if I didn't want it, since it was revealed the campaign is on track for its best day since the initial rush died down, which means more money raised and more stretched goals unlocked, so more free stuff for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being an MB:P only backer I feel the same way as you guys, probably going to skip this one. I was suggesting that they make the villagers viable in the skirmish battle as a support troop so that they're more relevant to MB:P backers than just a one time use in a scenario.

Give them zero attack and maybe a 2 or 3 defense so they're brittle as hell. But give them a "prayer" or "sacrifice" power that can bolster or heal your god. That way the enemy will want to get rid of them and you will want to protect them since they're squishy but useful. As it is, a winged ape that has very tenuous Greek mythology connections isn't worth $29 to me, but I recognize and welcome the added funds it brings to the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank B
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they added a KS version of Conan as an add-on, that would make this crossover that much more appealing to those of us that missed the Conan KS. I know I'd add both if given the opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MB only backer, so it's an easy sidestep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
Not considering this one either myself, I am still thinking about if I will go for expansions or not and which ones.

Problem with a cross over like this is that most people would most likely only go with conan or phanteon, and not both due to similarities.
Funds can be limited after all, these games take up quite some space if you expand them and many people tend to avoid investing in very similar games.

Similar ? The two games are very different. Sure, they use the same kind of boards and miniatures (which make this crossover possible), but aside from that they are nothing alike, as far as gameplay is concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
Have not checked out the conan gameplay yet, though personally I'd still rather stick to just one very miniature heavy game considering the amount of space it will cost me.

As a fan of miniatures in boardgames, as long as the game itself is good too, I do tend to have some games like that with expansions. While I dont have that many board games yet, I try to plan it out a bit.

Usually I dont tend to get two games with the same setting that are heavy on miniatures, but for this game I do make an exeption.. I already have Cyclades which is also greek mythology. Plays quite differently though and the mini's aren't as impressive. But I do have the hades expansion with it, and will likely get the titans expansion too at some point.

Other than that I have fortune and glory + treasure hunters expansion and the bonus card packs, and A touch of evil + all expansions and extra content. And some other games that don't involve miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note: I believe the Voice of Olympus said that they would make a usable troop out of the villagers. Let's see how they handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
Just a note: I believe the Voice of Olympus said that they would make a usable troop out of the villagers. Let's see how they handle it.

I think someone also asked to define the villagers as objects so that Heracles can throw them... so many options
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
I'd prefer to see a seperate set of just villagers for Mythic battles though, villagers that look more greek since I feel these don't fit the theme of this game.

Especially the child seems to wear a rather modern jacket.

Needs more toga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rhalius wrote:
I'd prefer to see a seperate set of just villagers for Mythic battles though, villagers that look more greek since I feel these don't fit the theme of this game.

Especially the child seems to wear a rather modern jacket.

Needs more toga.

That would make him look Roman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it looks like the designers listened and are adding the figure to now make this add on worth it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Well it looks like the designers listened and are adding the figure to now make this add on worth it for me.

Um... for an extra $10 they are. :-p

This whole Conan crossover is the first thing to rub me the wrong way. If the game has a serious change at being competitively played, a player may feel obligated to have access to all of the tools. But making me buy into, or support an unrelated game I really don't want, to do so, feels a little off to me.

Yes, I know it has playability across two games, but its clearly barely a Mythic Battles expansion, and mostly just a forced one to get some more Conan stuff out there/selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get why they don't include the cards for the figure? It seems like they are more interested in listening to Conan crossover customers. A figure without any cards/stats isn't worthwhile to the rest of us. I would pay $15 for a full monster that I can use. As a MB customer and not a Conan customer, this is useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

You think it should be free?

This is quite simple. They had a lot, like a lot lot, of requests for Kraken. That was never planned because it isn't from Greek myth so there is no mini for it, but to meet the demand they statted up Ketos, the Greek original, put the dashboard in the Conan crossover, and said you can use Thaug, Scylla, or Charybdis as Ketos. Some MB backers wanted the Thaug mini, adding that to the crossover box would force Conan backers to buy it twice, so it's an add-on to the add-on for non-Conan backers who want it. The Conan crossover itself is discounted to the extent that non-Conan backers are not paying for anything they can't use. They're getting the Conan-specific content for free.

As far as MB backers who don't have Conan are concerned, this is no different to any other add-on. It has MB-specfic content, which is all you're paying for. You don't need to buy it, if there's something you want in it then you can buy it. Same with Poseidon, Trojan Heroes, or any other add-on with more than one unit. If anything, this is better than those because you have official permission to pay $10 less and proxy the unit if you have Poseidon expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
redben wrote:
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

You think it should be free?

This is quite simple. They had a lot, like a lot lot, of requests for Kraken. That was never planned because it isn't from Greek myth so there is no mini for it, but to meet the demand they statted up Ketos, the Greek original, put the dashboard in the Conan crossover, and said you can use Thaug, Scylla, or Charybdis as Ketos. Some MB backers wanted the Thaug mini, adding that to the crossover box would force Conan backers to buy it twice, so it's an add-on to the add-on for non-Conan backers who want it. The Conan crossover itself is discounted to the extent that non-Conan backers are not paying for anything they can't use. They're getting the Conan-specific content for free.

As far as MB backers who don't have Conan are concerned, this is no different to any other add-on. It has MB-specfic content, which is all you're paying for. You don't need to buy it, if there's something you want in it then you can buy it. Same with Poseidon, Trojan Heroes, or any other add-on with more than one unit. If anything, this is better than those because you have official permission to pay $10 less and proxy the unit if you have Poseidon expansion.

I appreciate your input, Ben, but I think your proximity to the MB team may restrict your appreciation of the sentiment some of the disappointed backers feel. Of course we can buy it, or not, but us voicing our frustration provides valuable feedback to the devs.

Originally, the crossover came with a bunch of plastic that was useless to MB backers (villagers), and though you say we're not paying for the Conan content, we really are, as the cost of each add-on pays for what what comes in the box. Put another way, you're saying we should be happy to pay $30 for an Ape mini and accessories, and the dashboard for a figure that's part of another game. And now we get to purchase the missing mini for $10. Then we'll have a bunch of villager minis for a scenario or two, but which are (currently) useless for the core skirmish game. That's just not appealing.

I understand they're trying to run a business, and I appreciate all the work they've put into communicating with us, etc., but I think the crossover wasn't entirely thought out, because however good it may have sounded on paper, the reaction it's received from backers says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.