Hide
9 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: can unit disengage in close combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
can a unit disengage if in close combat?
for example the enemy move attack me, in my turn, Can i move away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
can a unit disengage if in close combat?
for example the enemy move attack me, in my turn, Can i move away

Yes you can.
There are no zones of control to prevent you from doing so.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, certain troop types can evade when attacked, assuming they have room to fall back. Evading troops are only hit on their unit symbol (green/blue/red) and not swords or leader symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no 'engaged' in this game, so no need to disengage. You can be adjacent to enemy units without any of you attacking each other, either because you don't have the order or because you have it but you don't want to. Every turn, if you have the order, you are free to leave or to attack other adjacent units.

The only thing that 'looks' like engaging in this game is that, after the movement phase, if you are adjacent to an enemy unit you cannot choose ranged combat (fire) to other units. In that case, the only possible combat choice is to close combat the adjacent unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the defender... If your unit receives a flag result (after hits are applied) and is able to ignore the flag, then the unit "may" disengage and retreat (accept the flag) or it may stand its ground.

If your unit receives a flag result (after hits are applied) and is unable to ignore the flag, then the unit "must" disengage and retreat.

As the attacker and command card played allowing... you may order your unit to move away (disengage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
THanks,
I keep reading rules for this....
Maybe because I feel strange is so easy to go away from fight... (warhammer reminescence)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
THanks,
I keep reading rules for this....
Maybe because I feel strange is so easy to go away from fight... (warhammer reminescence)
That is, when you have the appropriate card in hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole "locked in combat" thing is kind of interesting. From what I can tell, and I am far from expert, the sources are decidedly mixed on how easy it was to "disengage" in this era. On the one hand, I think there are plenty of examples of where one side was unable to escape a melee situation, but we have other examples, I think, of opposing forces being within "fighting distance" of one another and not actually fighting.

On the balance, I think C&C's approach is reasonable - it allows for "moving away" from an enemy unit, but only as part of your limited orders you can give in a turn, which means often some of your units will stay "engaged" even if you'd rather they didn't. Which seems sort of like how it might have been IRL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The C&C system in not the ultimate in realism, but for its rather basic rules system it is good enough to have fun and shows how different combat units interfered with one another.

Even simple miniature rules like GBA 12 units system give more insight into the interaction of combined forces, but I can live with it.

I wonder if Borg will not use this "sticking and entangled" combat into the new Fire and Musket game from Compass Games, because the principle of Hold the Lines has different angles than Ancient combat'

What surprises me most is that the C&C system each time adapts rather well to very different theaters of war (except for Cry Havoc due to the rigid marketing of money hungry Hasbro and the aweful basic box of Memoir which was greatly (and luckily) tuned by Borg in its latest Breakthrough and Overlord expansions).

So ... just play the periods and have fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.