Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
June 1940 The Fall of France
U-boats whittled away 7 more EP from the British. That advice to keep the convoys going proved to be a bum steer. The few hurricanes in Marseilles were shot down trying to pin the CR42s in Genoa. Heinkels flew clear across France to strike CL/DDs hauling supplies to the bay of Biscay. Army Group B wiped out the BEF in Le Havre where more hurricanes were traded for Me109s. Group B also cleared the approach to Paris in regular combat. The capital was enveloped and stormed in exploitation. 1st Army Group counterattacked from Sedan. Picking on a reduced infantry on the eastern flank of the breakthrough which was sent packing all the way back to the Netherlands. Guderian activated 2 infantry and 2 panzers to overrun the armour pocket SW of Paris and exploited into Lyons and St Nazaire.
Spitfires rebased to Corsica. France collapsed. Syria reverts to Vichy control but the French Mediterranean fleet passed into Mussolini's hands (4 battleships including the brand new Richelieu). I stilll reckon the Royal Navy can beat the combined fleets of Germany and Italy.
British infantry retain Bordeaux at least for the moment. Auchinlek and Middle East HQ must soon vacate Algeria.
Paratroops dropped unscathed on Newcastle, far from the weak british infantry in Harwich. 4 infantry and Rommel's panzers moved to North Sea ports where Germany can build transports in the upcoming seasonal turn ready for Seelowe in July.

Russia ground down a Finn in Lappland without gaining any ground and retook the last corner of Karelia. Only the 1st Finnish dead can be replenished for free. What started as a winter war has dragged on into the height of summer.
4 axis corps railed from Piedmont to Poland, primed to meet the red peril gathering just across the border.

Its only a practice game but things look grim for Britain, half the RAF is gone, a single infantry division left in the home country, the middle east is kaput, fallschirmjaegers on the Tyne and no money for replacements.

Jon liked the amount of tasks air units can undertake though he found the commitment rules quite complex. I like how forgiving the system is, even if France hadn't gone in June she was virtually guaranteed to surrender by July with little impact to Hitler's schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see this old school title getting some attention! Thanks for the write up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prawn King
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Thanks for making the effort to play and post ETO!
Nice to see this old classic getting air time!

This game was a most enjoyable foundation for a lot of more up to date solid strategic editions.
I can just about remember playing this lots in the mid 70's. Four or five player engrossed in long and winding games. Cannot remember a "Sealion" event, but perhaps we were all still programmed by Purnell's magazines and the TV series "World at War". Used to be a long haul for the USSR (stalemate every game) and more so the US player, watching a few units scratching around in N.Africa for years until suddenly Torch and then D-Day opened it up to quite a feverish conclusion.
An old classic for sure, all of our players had fathers or old uncles who had contributed in real life to one or other of the operations which added a lot of table talk history and yarns!

Seventies SPI at its finest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be confusing the 1991 game by TSR I'm writing about with World War II: European Theater of Operations, 1939-45

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prawn King
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ha ha indeed!
Woops - now I recognize that photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.