Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judson Lester
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played this at BGG 2016 and wound up scrapping the game when at the midpoint one of us had almost triple the score of the others, and all we could attribute it to was card draws.

Specifically "hire 4 liveryman or 2 neutral" for 1 coin is incredibly powerful. Also, cards with a draw bonus are absurdly good.

Conversely, it's easy to get stuck with a handful of cards that would be good in a different situation (the wilds, for instance, or "spot a master on a cloth hall...") but useless in the current position, that just get used as a single hire or maybe a move. In that position, you wind up doing what you can in six cards, drawing two, then drawing four in the next turn, while other players are sending liverymen to the plantations.

I spend the rest of the weekend worried we'd missed a rule, but on review just now, it really is just "draw 2/draw 4", always blind.

So, I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong, and that there's a rule we missed or something, because otherwise GoL is such a near miss it's crushing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyarly wrote:
We played this at BGG 2016 and wound up scrapping the game when at the midpoint one of us had almost triple the score of the others, and all we could attribute it to was card draws.

Specifically "hire 4 liveryman or 2 neutral" for 1 coin is incredibly powerful. Also, cards with a draw bonus are absurdly good.

Conversely, it's easy to get stuck with a handful of cards that would be good in a different situation (the wilds, for instance, or "spot a master on a cloth hall...") but useless in the current position, that just get used as a single hire or maybe a move. In that position, you wind up doing what you can in six cards, drawing two, then drawing four in the next turn, while other players are sending liverymen to the plantations.

I spend the rest of the weekend worried we'd missed a rule, but on review just now, it really is just "draw 2/draw 4", always blind.

So, I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong, and that there's a rule we missed or something, because otherwise GoL is such a near miss it's crushing.

So one guy had 3 points and the others had 1?

I'm obviously joking but I find this very very odd... in my plays everyone was always very close in score specially because when you have more points you are the first player and being first is very bad in this game... so when you are in first it's much more difficult to score more points than the other players in every turn...

But like I said, during the game we were normally very close to each other, the scores would vary and create bigger gaps during end game scoring with the mayoral cards and the general end game scoring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things often appear overpowered on a first play. Subsequent plays often reveal groupthink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you were unlucky, and I wouldn't see this as a problem.

Situationally, some cards and card combos are definitely more powerful than others. This is part of the design because as with many games, the player has to decide how to optimise the use of his cards. And the counterbalance is an awful lot of cards are drawn in the game so luck should largely normalise out.

I wouldn't be worried by anyone having a decent lead because being first in the points list is a disadvantage in this game due to the negotiation phases, plus players can score a lot at the end with their final scoring cards.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyarly wrote:

I've played this a couple of times now and we've not come across this problem. We've tended to find that when one player gets out ahead of the others it leaves them going first for a few turns in a row leaving them weak to have guilds stolen off them. We've also tended to find that all cards are useful even if just moving liverymen around to steal a cheeky second place reward.

We play the game quite aggressively and are always using the neutral liverymen to stop people gaining a guild or a few victory points. We only have to use the 'draw 4 cards' option rarely maybe 2-3 times per player per game.

Overall we are really liking the game and I would recommend you give it another try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.