Subject: New Card Type Idea - Locations (50 Cards Ready) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
This idea grew out of looking for a way to mix things up in the games. I came across two ideas that were interesting:
1. City Events - https://boardgamegeek.com/article/14128007
2. Hotspots - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1326724

I found the City Events idea first & I really liked the idea of having potential modifiers based on the city space you were in. So I printed out the cards, and we played several games using them. The one thing that we did not like was having to remember to play the next Event card when you fought a villain. We just kept forgetting.

Then I found the Hotspots, and liked the mechanic of playing the cards through the Villain deck. That way they came up, when they came up, and you did not have to think about them. Unfortunately that effort seemed to lose steam right after it started.

Anyway, I have taken the two ideas, added some changes, and started creating cards. I thought I would share the idea here to get feedback as I continue to create more cards. I would love to hear what you all think.

City Locations:
In any big city, you will always find Key Locations, that are popular with everyone. In the Marvel universe, that is often where the mayhem increases. Location cards are a new mechanic that adds additional impacts from fighting Villains in these key places.

Location Card Keywords:
Discover: Execute this effect when the card is played from the Villain deck
Fight: Apply this effect when you fight a villain in a City space with a location card. This effect is in addition to any Fight effect on the Villain card.
Dissipate: Perform this action to remove the location card from the City space, and gain it to your Victory pile. If there is a Villain in the corresponding City Space, you cannot execute the dissipate action.

How to Use:
Shuffle the deck of Location cards, randomly select 10 cards, and add them to the Villain deck. When you draw a Location card, place it on the space identified at the top of the card (under the location name). Execute any Discover effects. Then play the next card from the Villain deck.

If you draw a Location card from the Villain deck, and there is already a card on that same City Space, there are 2 options you can choose to play with:
1. Stack the new Location card on top of the previous card. If you dissipate the top card the previous Location card becomes active again (do not perform the discover action again)
2. Replace the previous Location card with the new one, and remove the previous card from the game.

The Starter Deck
The Sewers

The Bank

The Rooftops

The Streets

The Bridge

Edit: Uploaded 10 cards for each City Space, and updated this post with links
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell B
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: New Card Type Idea - Locations
Like the idea a lot, but I have a question. What happens when you draw a second sewers card? Does it replace it or do the effects compound. If they compound, then can get hairy and in a hurry. 0_o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Darreb510 wrote:
Like the idea a lot, but I have a question. What happens when you draw a second sewers card? Does it replace it or do the effects compound. If they compound, then can get hairy and in a hurry. 0_o

The thought my wife and I had was that you would stack them. The new location would be active, and the previous would not be in effect. If you performed the necessary action to clear/dissipate the active location, you would gain it to your victory pile, and the previous location would become active again (until you cleared it).

I have not play tested these yet, but that is what we are thinking. Once I get a full set created, we will do some play testing to see how well that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you also play another Villain card after playing one of these?
Otherwise you're adding 10 turns to the deck and they could make the game considerably easier by slowing the advance of the Villains/scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Would you also play another Villain card after playing one of these?
Otherwise you're adding 10 turns to the deck and they could make the game considerably easier by slowing the advance of the Villains/scheme.

Yes, if a location card comes up, you play it, and then play the next card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a really fun addition to the game! Ascension had something similar in one of their sets with events. You could do something similar here. When you reveal a location and the named space already has a location, just replace the existing location. The thought being, it "hurt" you enough with it's discover and fight effects while it was active. You could let the active player to choose to do or not do the dissipate effect before the new location replaces the existing location. Maybe there isn't anything else to do on the board with their hand, so why not gain some extra vp from the location. If they choose not do do the dissipate effect, it is just replaced.

I think having multiple active locations in the same location would be very confusing. The interactions and restrictions could be too weird. It would make it difficult to create new locations that didn't cause weird interactions.

Edit: I agree you would have to play another card from the villain deck after playing a location. Just to keep the clock the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them.

You could also add in some "Beneficial" ones like...

Rooftops: Avengers Tower / Baxter Building.
Streets: Aunt Mays House / Xavier's School for Gifted Children

Give them some slight buff if there is a villain in that slot. -1 fight to the villain, or +1 to recruit a hero with the matching faction symbol if there is a villain in that space.

Make the Dissipate the bad thing: Cause discards if the city is full, or give wounds if a villain with a fight of 7 or higher is in the space....stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I like your ideas. I had a similar thought that not all the effects would be negative. I also like your ideas for some of the locations to include.

Come on everyone!!! More ideas. PLEASE...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
OK, I could use some creative input from the community.

I have racked my brain to come up with a little over 40 different locations. Some of them are places in the Marvel Universe, and some of them are real world places. Some of the City Spaces do not have many options yet. Any ideas you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance...

Here is what I have so far:
Sewers
Abomination's Domain
Dept H Headquarters
Gamma Base
Lizard's Lair
Subterranea
The Goblin House
The Minotaur's Maze
Vermin's Lair

Bank
Bank of Manhattan
First National Bank
Greenwich Savings
New York Stock Exchange
US Mortgage & Trust

Streets
ACME Garage
Adarco Corporate HQ
Alias Investigations
Aunt May's House
Avenger's Mansion
Castle Von Doom
The Hostel
Triskelion
Utro's Bar
Xavier Academy
Grand Central Terminal
Madison Square Garden
Times Square

Rooftops
Avengers Tower
Baxter Building
Daily Bugle Building
Oscorp
Statue of Liberty
Empire State Building
Trump Tower
One World Trade Center
432 Park Avenue

Bridge
Atomic Research Center (was in the outskirts of town)
Sanctum Sanctorum (is a bridge to other dimensions)
Brooklyn Bridge
George Washington Bridge
Manhattan Bridge
Queensboro Bridge
Williamsburg Bridge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Huovinen
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll help for each location to get to at least 10 cards:

Sewers:
Morlock Haven (Marvel locale)

Bank:
Federal Reserve Bank (real world locale / Die Hard III)
Diamond District (real world locale)
Echidna Capital Management (Marvel locale / HYDRA front)
Midtown Savings Bank (Marvel locale)
Forest Hills Bank (Marvel locale)

Bridge (note - these are not strictly bridges but could fit thematically):
Liberty Island Ferry / Liberty Island (real world locale)
Pier Four (Marvel locale, FF base)
Holland Tunnel (real world locale)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Awesome idea!!!!!
Couple of offers for you

Bridge
Bifrost

The Dark Aster

Streets
Knowhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for the ideas...

I still need some Rooftop and Sewer ideas - Post them if you have them

I am still working on the card text, but I thought I would share a look at the artwork so far. If anyone has an image they think would be better than one that I used, please share.

I will post the final cards here, when they are completed, but for now I have put the image files on Dropbox. (faster than uploading here)

You can find the sneak peek here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j92s06err6qko3b/AADM84tlGafRA8fEv...

Edit: Dropbox updated. Now have 10 locations for each City Space & 2 options for the Statue of Liberty.
-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I had a couple ideas on the mechanics, that I wanted to post for feedback...

Dissipating locations:
When can you dissipate a location?
Only if the space is clear of Villains. i.e. You must defeat all the villains on the space before you can cleanse the location.

Victory Points...
I have been working on how to determine the appropriate victory points for each card. This is what I came up with:
The nastier (makes things harder) the card is, the lower the victory points
The more beneficial (makes things easier) it is the higher the value

This is my thinking; I like the idea of some of the cards being good for you and some being bad. However, I am concerned that if a good card comes out, there is no real incentive to clear it. By having the victory point value the inverse of the card's nastiness, it forces you to balance the good/bad vs clearing the card for the points added to your victory pile.

What do you all think?
Do you like these ideas?
-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
All the cards now have complete Discover, Fight & Dissipate text.

They are currently on Drop Box:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j92s06err6qko3b/AADM84tlGafRA8fEv...

Once I get the Flavor Text completed, I will post them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea! Here are some I designed a while back. Use them for inspiration... both for what to do and what not to do

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1323050/introducing-battleg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
First post updated with final cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like this idea a lot but I see two potential problems:

1. When the location card is covered by the Villain, I won't see the Fight effect of the location.
2. When a new Villain comes into town and other villains are pushed one space, villains must be picked up and placed on the location, instead of just pushing the card one space. This slows down the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I solve that problem by placing the Location cards just above the City space, not under the villain. Yes, it overlaps the KO pile a little, but it works and then we just put the stuff that is KO'd above that.

For a permanent solution I designed a custom mat being printed, which has spaces just for cards like this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1673142/deadpool-takes-over...

To be fair, it does make the game take a little longer, because you have to make sure you read the effect on the Location card. Plus, thinking about the strategy to clear Locations from the board. However, I don't think the extra time is all that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M7 Give no chance to boredom
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
Some day I'll finish my game.
badge
If U wanna play with me try @ Boardgamearena or @ CABA or Playbar in Madrid
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the list is a bit short related to Banks, but why do they need to be Financial Banks?
Did you think on those high securuty places where people over internet have their data stored. Data Banks.
Or what about those where backups are stored (Iron Mountain one of the most famous)?
Or in other way, what about helthcare? People sensitive information or even blood banks? Blade "friends" might smile with this last...
Maybe there could be a few ideas rising thom this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database under Game Modifications

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.