Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry if this was already mentioned elsewhere but:

-What exclusive content will be in the KS edition?

-Will there be any way to obtain the KS edition after release?

Seems like an interesting game, but as a completionist I don't think I could buy an incomplete game unless the missing content is very trivial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are quite a few kickstarter exclusives, including the 'swamp of madness' expansion pack, minis, The curse of the black box, and many of the unlocked cards.

It looks like your best bet to get the kickstarter version would be to buy one off of a backer. From time to time I see posts from backers who want to sell off their pledges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-cont...

It's right there on the KS page what's exclusive. As for retail sales that's still a ??? To get it after it's out, probably painful markups on ebay and here ^^ Or if I decide I don't like it.

In terms of 'what you miss out on' I think the game is offering a huge amount of content even without exclusives, so unless it completely bugs you to not possess all the things, I don't see it as something you will miss having. Like, who's ever used ALL the expansions in Tuscany?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game turns out to be bad, there will be lots of copies for resale, maybe even at a discount. If the game turns out to be great, you'll have to pay more. That's how it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

As for retail sales that's still a ???

The creators were at Essen this year. Why would you pay for a booth and advertise a game if you do not plan on selling it afterwards? They are clearly going to go retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorn Dagon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
They are clearly going to go retail.

Not clearly.
Most of the successful Kickstarter companies Launch another Kickstarter campaign to sell more of their products, i.e. Shadows of Brimstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
They said (and that you can find here in the forum many times) that they're focusing on completing the game and delivering it to the bakers. Afterwards they decide wether to go into retail or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To all of the guys saying "not clearly" to retail....want to bet? One thing is what they say and another is what they are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GornOfDagon wrote:
Quote:

Not clearly.
Most of the successful Kickstarter companies Launch another Kickstarter campaign to sell more of their products, i.e. Shadows of Brimstone.

This is a contentious point, most backers of the original Brimstone kickstarter are still awaiting delivery while some of the product is already on sale before backers have it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
To all of the guys saying "not clearly" to retail....want to bet? One thing is what they say and another is what they are doing.

It's not about betting, it's about confirmation. It hasn't yet been confirmed that the game will be available at retail. Serious Poulp is currently focusing their efforts on delivering the game to backers. After they're done there, they will study the retail version question. That's all the info we have right now.

As for the OP: you will miss quite a fair share of gameplay-related content for not having the KS version. As mentioned above, at least one expansion and one curse, plus one goat, and other stretch-goals goodies.
You will also miss cosmetic content, such as the campfire and character miniatures.

As a completionist, you should skip that game, or buy one the pledge that are available through these forums.

As a gamer, you should wait for reviews, as the PnP version did not make a good impression, from what I experienced and gathered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather liked the pnp demo.

Using only 20 cards or so, it provided a nice sample of game elements including hidden items, crafting, and a puzzle. Granted, the puzzle was a bit of a misfire, but they learned from the mistake and the puzzles in the final version will likely be better executed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

It's not about betting, it's about confirmation. It hasn't yet been confirmed that the game will be available at retail.

I do not disagree with you, but I also can use my brain. Imagine I tell you I rolled a six-sided die and I tell you that the result is a prime even number. Did I ever tell you it is a two? No. Can you deduce it is a a two? Yes

The same happens with this game. Have they officially stated "We will go retail"? No

This year they were at Essen promoting the game. Clearly they want to continue with the game after the KS. Also, they have talked about "KS exclusive" which means some things will not be exclusive to KS...which again means that the game will be available outside KS.

Will it happen before backers have gotten their game? Probably not. Will it be available after? You can bet your ass on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

It's not about betting, it's about confirmation. It hasn't yet been confirmed that the game will be available at retail.

I do not disagree with you, but I also can use my brain. Imagine I tell you I rolled a six-sided die and I tell you that the result is a prime even number. Did I ever tell you it is a two? No. Can you deduce it is a a two? Yes

The same happens with this game. Have they officially stated "We will go retail"? No

This year they were at Essen promoting the game. Clearly they want to continue with the game after the KS. Also, they have talked about "KS exclusive" which means some things will not be exclusive to KS...which again means that the game will be available outside KS.

Will it happen before backers have gotten their game? Probably not. Will it be available after? You can bet your ass on it.

You're confusing 'you've reached this conclusion based on your interpretation of the facts' with 'you've worked out the only possible result to a maths question'.

If the campaign is a huge success and the game is recognised by reviewers, then that still may not indicate that retail is likely. As others have said, the game makers have said for now they'll focus on the job at hand (making the game using the funds received and make their backers happy).

Afterwards, if it IS successful (fingers crossed) they are more likely to either run a second printing kickstarter, or a new game kickstarter or maybe start looking for publishers for retail. I would expect if it turns out a success, then others will be able to get there own copies outside the kickstarter (and not just from rip-off eBay'rs) but there is no promise made by the game makers at this time and to depend on that would be a little optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:

If the campaign is a huge success and the game is recognised by reviewers, then that still may not indicate that retail is likely. As others have said, the game makers have said for now they'll focus on the job at hand (making the game using the funds received and make their backers happy).

Afterwards, if it IS successful (fingers crossed) they are more likely to either run a second printing kickstarter, or a new game kickstarter or maybe start looking for publishers for retail. I would expect if it turns out a success, then others will be able to get there own copies outside the kickstarter (and not just from rip-off eBay'rs) but there is no promise made by the game makers at this time and to depend on that would be a little optimistic.

What do you mean with "if the campaign is successful"? The campaign is over. It either is or is not depending on how you look at it... but nothing in the future will change that.

You seem to miss my point: even though they have said over and over "first backers then we will decide", this is simply a lie. I am sure they have decided already. My guess is that for PR purposes they just commit to the "backers first" statement that is very nice on paper.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that they are liars and will abandon backers. Just that they have a plan for the future. Otherwise, please explain to me how can having a booth at the fair help in delivering the game to backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to think that all a publisher has to do to sell a game in retail is decide it. It is not as easy.

To do this they need to find a distributor willing to carrying it. The problem is that it is an expensive game with more than a thousand different cards to manufacture. And they need to agree with them on a price. The problem is that in kickstarter, the publisher gets 90% of what the backers pay. In retail, they get maybe 25% (after the distributor and the retail shops get their cut). So, they need to find a way to make some profit from the game, while not selling too high so that retail shops are able to sell the game.

Now, I do not say it is impossible, but it requires considerable work. And since they are only 2 people doing everything, I can certainly understand them wanting to give their 100% finishing the game and making it the best they can, before spending time on getting the game to retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Sorry if this was already mentioned elsewhere but:

-What exclusive content will be in the KS edition?

-Will there be any way to obtain the KS edition after release?

Seems like an interesting game, but as a completionist I don't think I could buy an incomplete game unless the missing content is very trivial.

Tons of exclusives piled on top of exclusives.

Basically they gave the scalpers the rights to their game. And those derps are going to make a killing off this one. Congrats guys!

(oh, and to all of you poor saps who come after and want to play this neat looking game? Pft. Obviously no one cares about you.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
You seem to think that all a publisher has to do to sell a game in retail is decide it. It is not as easy.

I am not saying that they have the whole way planned...but your comment is probably spot on what they were doing at Essen. While they showed the game around they must have asked for advise from other publishers, regarding possible MRSP, looked for possible distribution partners, etc...

I have no idea on how is the part of looking for a distributor, but I can tell you that it is a really BAD business model to print the KS copies, ship to backers, wait for reviews...AND if they are good then consider going retail. This will make at least a 6 months delay (on a very positive estimate) that is a waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
I have no idea on how is the part of looking for a distributor, but I can tell you that it is a really BAD business model to print the KS copies, ship to backers, wait for reviews...AND if they are good then consider going retail. This will make at least a 6 months delay (on a very positive estimate) that is a waste of time.
I've talked to them in Essen and they said that retail release will be about 4 months after KS release (if there will be retail, which is not yet decided).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh I really dislike having to come back to this subject again and again so let me say it one more time:

There's no reason to NOT take this game to retail, we all know it has generated enough interest! So assuming they have people interested (and they do) would it hurt to announce that a retail version is in the works? No! So why haven't they?

And now we come back to the reply I give each time this topic crops up: because they haven't the time to. Their focus is on finishing the game. They're not a big studio, they're two dudes who are passionate about their game, a game that would never of existed without this KS. As such their priority is to finish the game for their supporters. Once that's done THEN they'll get round to negociating contracts and all that fun stuff but until then it's wall to wall playtesting, drawing and production management.

And whilst we're on the subject: yes this game has more than its fair share of KS exclusive content, but once again, this game COULD NOT have existed without the support of our backers, it is therefore normal that we'd want to reward them. If you want to turn this perfectly friendly and intelligent statement around and instead bellow that we're doing it to screw over people later than sure, be my guest, but it's only going to make you look like an idiot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
Sigh I really dislike having to come back to this subject again and again so let me say it one more time:[...]

You say they don't have time to make a deal or no drawback in announcing....and I don't believe they rented a booth for nothing or can make an independent retail version in only 4 months. Agree to disagree. No one will convince anyone in here.

Just keep an open mind and do not blindly believe all that you hear from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathis Lurtz
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
Sigh I really dislike having to come back to this subject again and again so let me say it one more time:

There's no reason to NOT take this game to retail, we all know it has generated enough interest! So assuming they have people interested (and they do) would it hurt to announce that a retail version is in the works? No! So why haven't they?

And now we come back to the reply I give each time this topic crops up: because they haven't the time to. Their focus is on finishing the game. They're not a big studio, they're two dudes who are passionate about their game, a game that would never of existed without this KS. As such their priority is to finish the game for their supporters. Once that's done THEN they'll get round to negociating contracts and all that fun stuff but until then it's wall to wall playtesting, drawing and production management.

And whilst we're on the subject: yes this game has more than its fair share of KS exclusive content, but once again, this game COULD NOT have existed without the support of our backers, it is therefore normal that we'd want to reward them. If you want to turn this perfectly friendly and intelligent statement around and instead bellow that we're doing it to screw over people later than sure, be my guest, but it's only going to make you look like an idiot.

For what it's worth, i don't really care for things beeing KS-Exclusive to us Backers. I mean, yeah give it to us as a gift or such, but why not just sell the extra stuff from your website afterwards to the people who feel like they cannot live without it. That generates revenue and will help not to turn away those completionists out there.

That said, I really like their approach on this! Thumbs up for not trying to do the next several things (Retail, next KS, spinoff game, whatever...) parallel to fulfilling the KS. I am pretty sure this will hit the shelves, but for now i appreciate that fulfilling the KS comes first.

@Nushura, Jamie is actually pretty involved in this Game, especially in the English Version of it if I recall correctly. Just saying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Serious Poulp has poured so much into this game that I think they would try to get it to retail and I don't know if they have any other ideas for games. It wouldn't surprise me if they just made the 7th Continent their life's work and kept expanding it and adding new mechanics. But yeah, a base set would be expensive at retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:

Whether you did it to screw people over later on I don't think is the question. It's that through all the exclusives you did screw people over later on.

FWIW I think you should give us gamers more credit. If we were mostly children, then I suppose we would want a bunch of secret things that the rest of the world can never have or use. Honestly I don't think that's really the case. I bet if you tried you would have gotten a bunch of legitimate backers who just believed in your game and wanted to see it get made. It had a pretty great hook.

Most of that exclusive stuff could have been put straight into the box, and you could have a whole extra expansion to sell (and you wouldn't be having this conversation all over again).

If your game is good, if you have put the time into it, have some faith in it. And have some more faith in us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:

Whether you did it to screw people over later on I don't think is the question. It's that through all the exclusives you did screw people over later on.

FWIW I think you should give us gamers more credit. If we were mostly children, then I suppose we would want a bunch of secret things that the rest of the world can never have or use. Honestly I don't think that's really the case. I bet if you tried you would have gotten a bunch of legitimate backers who just believed in your game and wanted to see it get made. It had a pretty great hook.

Most of that exclusive stuff could have been put straight into the box, and you could have a whole extra expansion to sell (and you wouldn't be having this conversation all over again).

If your game is good, if you have put the time into it, have some faith in it. And have some more faith in us.

So let me get this straight. A company rewarding people who have actually given them money means they are treating poorly people who have paid nothing...

As with any Kickstarter, if you want exclusives, then back it and pay for them. If you don't, you don't have any right to any kind of customer complaint as you're not a customer and decided not to buy. No-one is getting screwed over. I'm not a huge fan of exclusives that change how a game is played, but these aren't that. They're just additional variations on the core game, so you'll still get the same playing experience as Kickstarter backers do, just with slightly less replay-ability (which isn't a concern for me with the length a single game is going to take).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:

I know you rally against KS exclusives both here and elsewhere, but it's a fact that you are more likely to get people to pledge with them. Games like Scythe do well without them, sure, but CMON games just explode with funding with them.

You also decide to use a harsh word with 'skrew' in relation to KS exclusives, but that's like saying everytime a publisher puts out a hard to get promo, they are skrewing their customer base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.