BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Portable tile laying games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a portable tile laying game that packs pretty small and plays 2-4. All suggestions are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 of Us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hive Pocket is 2 player but I made my own colored tiles with stickers for multiplayer mode. Check variations threads for the tree/orchid starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
HUE is not technically "tiles", but its close enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geschichte wrote:

Fun game! And the bonus is that it is so cheap you can get 2 sets for a longer game.

Also,

The storage bag is also the draw bag and there is literally no setup involved. Just grab tiles and play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Limes! It comes in a medium box (think Kosmos 2-player games, or Patchwork), but is really just a stack of card-tiles the size of your palm and a handful of meeples. You'd need to buy 2 sets to play 4 people, though; the base set plays 2 but is infinitely expandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cards but used as tiles,cheap enough to get it even if you get something else and nothing packs smaller - IOTA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zuzana S
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card games but same mechanic:
Noxford - fun game in a really small box, lots of direct player interaction

Honshu - slightly bigger box, only played 2-p (which has slightly altered rules for the drafting) but it was very fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Carcassonne is too large there's always Travel Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is extremely small if you leave the box (and the scoreboard) at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the mint tin contests they have on this site...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
I'm looking for a portable tile laying game that packs pretty small and plays 2-4. All suggestions are welcome.

Völuspá fills the bill -- leave the box at home and keep score on scrap paper or with mini chips, and all you have to carry is a sack of tiles.

The game is great looking, can actually be played with 2-5 players, and has a fine depth of thinkiness without being too much of a tar pit for those who are prone to AP.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmpressGeek wrote:

The storage bag is also the draw bag and there is literally no setup involved. Just grab tiles and play!

Definitely +1 to Travel Qwirkle!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really a great fun game and the travel pieces are VERY cute! To save the need for pen and paper scoring I keep a scoretrack and a mini ziploc bag with eurocubes to track progress in the Qwirkle bag as well. Use the following file - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98692/85-qwirkle-scoreboa... - print at 50%, spray glue it to some sturdy cardboard and cut it out in a square. Simples!

Gambiteer wrote:
EmpressGeek wrote:

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival the box isn't all that big, but I bet the components could fit in a space 2/3 - 1/2 the size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We too have Travel Qwirkle. I folded a piece of paper and put it in the bag along with a small IKEA-pencil. We have it with us if ve visit family or go somewhere by train or if we have coffe and cake at the pub. And once the paper is completely filled with scores, you just take the backside of the bill or something.
EmpressGeek wrote:
It's really a great fun game and the travel pieces are VERY cute! To save the need for pen and paper scoring I keep a scoretrack and a mini ziploc bag with eurocubes to track progress in the Qwirkle bag as well. Use the following file - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98692/85-qwirkle-scoreboa... - print at 50%, spray glue it to some sturdy cardboard and cut it out in a square. Simples!

Gambiteer wrote:
EmpressGeek wrote:

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And +1 for both Travel Carcassonne and Lanterns: The Harvest Festival Great choices.

And I think Honshu would also a good choice. (alright, you lay cards not tiles, but cards are even thinner than tiles ;-))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
The King of Frontier is fairly small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:

Is Travel Carcassonne actually available new? A quick search only brought up silly prices.

Aquarius/Seven Dragons - use cards as tiles.
FlowerFall - cards are dropped onto a table (which is better than it sounds).
Flora is a tiny PnP 2p tile laying game (I think there may be variants for more players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
RenaissanceMom wrote:

Is Travel Carcassonne actually available new? A quick search only brought up silly prices.

In the Netherlands it is. I bought it a couple of months ago for around €12,-. Just had a look on the internet. Looks like the prices are going up indeed. Cheapest is €14,95 at the moment, GBP 12,78/$15,88 (man, has the dollar gone up lately....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Kingdomino

I would say this is a small box and contains a very good tile laying game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Phillips
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Kigi. They're cards rather than tiles but you place them together (in a very interesting way) to form trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zuzana S
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deerhound wrote:
There's Kigi. They're cards rather than tiles but you place them together (in a very interesting way) to form trees.

Or Kodama: The Tree Spirits, which is a reimplementation of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.