$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Oh My Goods!» Forums » General

Subject: Different Enough from Castles of Burgundy Card Game & Imperial Settlers ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cross posting in expansion forum ----

I have to watch my gravely depleted dollars, but the expansion seemed interesting, even before I looked into the base game.

I can't afford to just buy "another of the same" game.
I'll only be Solo Playing.

Can anyone familiar with the games in the Title, offer if this game with expansion is Quite Different in Gameplay & Goal from Imperial (also have a bunch of expansions) & Castles ??? Especially for Solo-Only play?

....and, even though there are limited cards, it does seem to have high replayability, even when the storyline has been played through in the expansion.

Thoughts?

Is this worth another $37 engine purchase?

* Now I think about it...I do also have Harbour --- build buildings to produce goods to sell at market for points. But not really any chaining happening, and the buildings can manipulate the goods some, more just into other base goods for market.

((note: I decided not to buy 51st State because the new version was too samey as Imperial Settlers, even though I love the art))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my point of view, Oh My Goods (with or without its expansion) has a totally different feel to CoB Card Game and Imperial Settlers. The mechanics of how you build your engine is totally different. I also wouldn't count CoB as an engine builder either (especially the card game as you dont get the yellow tiles from the boardgame version which last the rest of the game).

However, I'd note that OMG is a lighter game than the other two mentioned. And $37 seems a high price for it. I got it for around $26 including shipping and that seemed perfectly good value to me.

Regarding solo play, OMG requires the expansion to officially solo it, and there's no virtual opponent to play against; you're trying to complete the end-of-chapter goals instead. Different to beat-your-own-high-score, but also not the same as battling an opponent. I still really enjoy it though.

Hope that's some help. Let me know any follow-up questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nick.
Yeah, to buy direct from Lookout and ship to Canada, the base & expansion is $37CAN.

Lighter than CoB...really? That's a little disappointing. Videos looked like there were a lot of choices and chaining considerations.

I like that there are "Chapter end-goals" to make it a little different than standard. And an official solo. I understand there are some good fan-variants for soloing the base, so this just makes it even more varied.

But the lighter aspect is of concern, as if I want light I can just stick with Harbour.

I do find the whole Sun up/down mechanic clever and refreshing in the expansion.

Decisions.............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't consider OMG lighter than CoB:CG, I feel like there are some good crunchy decisions to be made... but this is a game that doesn't force its weight on you either. A lover of lighter games will play this differently or perhaps more straight-forward than someone who enjoys heavy Euros and likes to go through decision trees of their options for chaining and/or hand management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
solanthos wrote:
I wouldn't consider OMG lighter than CoB:CG, I feel like there are some good crunchy decisions to be made... but this is a game that doesn't force its weight on you either. A lover of lighter games will play this differently or perhaps more straight-forward than someone who enjoys heavy Euros and likes to go through decision trees of their options for chaining and/or hand management.

Yes, it's initially a deck of less that 100 cards, most of which are the same type of thing. There's only so much depth and diversity you can get out of it. It does a great job of it though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
Is this worth another $37 engine purchase?

Wow, that's... wow.

Have you priced this at Amazon.ca or anywhere else? I'm seeing it about $20CAN with shipping. I picked up a copy shipped from Germany last year for around $15 US, so $20 CAN seems reasonable(ish). I enjoyed the game so much I just recently ordered the expansion, shipped, for something like $12.57 US.

Oh My Goods Amazon.ca: (sorry, no idea how to do external link so it works 100%, just trying to help out a fellow geek)
https://www.amazon.ca/Mayfair-Games-MFG3512-Goods-Essen/dp/B...

In terms of gameplay: (humble personal opinion only)

Nothing at all like Harbour.

This might be more similar to COB:CG than anything else you listed, but even then pretty different.

I enjoyed OMG so much I recently found a copy of the original "Royal Goods" (just because I liked the name better) so now I can share OMG with someone else!

Great game!
~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, thanks Steve,

Actually, when you add up your prices. $20 for the base shipped, and $12.50US (like $16CAN)... still works to $36CAN. I at least got to add the free Snowdonia promo card

I do like what I see in the mechanics....especially the use of the sun. Clever.

Thanks
jim

ps- I did order it direct from Lookout, $38 after conversion for base and expansion. When you order both, for some reason they double+1euro the shipping... whatever I guess, convenience of knowing it's all latest edition and from the same place (and the promo... let's not forget the prmo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.