47.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tentatively added a few new categories to the 20 Most Anticipated Games of 2017 --- Nominations are OPEN competition, and removed a few of the smaller ones from last year. The only small category that survived was "Train", and that's just because it's my personal favorite, and it's been there since the beginning.

I try to keep the category numbers from creeping up too much because the final voting poll will already be long enough, but it seems that a Novel/Movie/TV based category would have a fairly decent representation this year.

So, I'll throw out this poll out:
Poll
Should we...
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
add a Novel category and a separate Movie/TV category.
5.9% 1
add a Novel/Movie/TV category.
47.1% 8
extend the Superhero category with Novel/Movie/TV.
17.6% 3
do nothing; we don't need a separate Novel/Movie/TV category.
29.4% 5
Voters 17
This poll is now closed.   17 answers
Poll created by rvinyard
Closes: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:00 am

You can start using the tag now, and after the poll closes it may or may not become active:

* Novel/Movie/TV Based [category]novel[/category]

Edit: We should hold off on that in case we extend superhero. In that event we'd use the superhero tag.

Feel free to discuss rationales below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
What you wan'me kill?
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many categories already, IMO. Doesn't help when most games just barely fit in half the categories they're nominated for already. Hmmm... maybe add more but then limit the number of nominations? Then we'd have more winners!

Edit: I also thought of combining novel with comic, but then felt superhero was a better category than comic so left it alone. Novel fell flat before, so figured it wasn't too big of a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Smith
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Could just call the category IP-based, to cover all intellectual properties. Things like board games based off of video games would also fall into this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjel
Netherlands
Rotterdam Area
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
webspyder wrote:
Could just call the category IP-based, to cover all intellectual properties. Things like board games based off of video games would also fall into this category.

Although I think you are on the right track for combining, board games itself also have an IP.
Games like shadows of brimstone: Forbidden fortress for example, have the shadows of brimstone IP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
What you wan'me kill?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjel wrote:
webspyder wrote:

Although I think you are on the right track for combining, board games itself also have an IP.
Games like shadows of brimstone: Forbidden fortress for example, have the shadows of brimstone IP.

Agreed. Thought of that too, but then realized we'd be grouping games together like Keyper and Munchkin X-Men which just didn't seem right.

I guess the issue I'm having with some of these nominations is the games possibly winning them aren't necessarily for the fans of such categories. Oh you absolutely love cartoons with your kids? Then you MUST check out the winner of that category, Warfighter Series!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
What you wan'me kill?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea for next year, how about having sections of categories where a game could only have one nomination per section. Then you could have Dice-based and Worker Placement where a game could only get nominated for one or the other. Science Fiction or Horror, but not both.

Sections could be something like Production (reprint, crowd-funded, non), Mechanic (dice, card, drafting, worker placement, area control, etc.), and Theme (superhero, fantasy, pirate, historical, etc.)

Again, I feel this would help because it would guarantee one particular game's hype doesn't dominate every category. (i.e. The 7th Continent)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NewTroll wrote:
I have an idea for next year, how about having sections of categories where a game could only have one nomination per section. Then you could have Dice-based and Worker Placement where a game could only get nominated for one or the other. Science Fiction or Horror, but not both.

Sections could be something like Production (reprint, crowd-funded, non), Mechanic (dice, card, drafting, worker placement, area control, etc.), and Theme (superhero, fantasy, pirate, historical, etc.)

Again, I feel this would help because it would guarantee one particular game's hype doesn't dominate every category. (i.e. The 7th Continent)

I thought about that a long time ago, but within the BGG geeklist system there's really no mechanism for doing that. I could write it independently, but I really want to keep the bulk of the contest within BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.