The Guns of Gettysburg» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attack Procedure, and CSA minimum reserve requirments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beml jj
msg tools
mbmbmb
Going through the rules on this epic game, couple of questions:

1. I understand the rules about CSA I,II,III arty token availability to be all blocks of 2 commands on the map for each corp independent of the other corps. So to use a II corp arty, ill have to have all of to commands blocks on the map, but don't need any blocks of the commands on the other 2 corps.

2. In what situations can it arise that an attack path is not legal. The not passing through enemy blocks I get. But when can it arise that the shortest path does not pass through the front area. Is this mostly for not attacking blocks behind you? or is it more about limiting your options when there are multiple targets?

3. In continuation with the attack path, it is stated to choose the shortest path using steps. I is this to mean that I can use a facing change (as described in a march move ), or is facing change not an option at all in an attack move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bemljj wrote:
Going through the rules on this epic game, couple of questions:

1. I understand the rules about CSA I,II,III arty token availability to be all blocks of 2 commands on the map for each corp independent of the other corps. So to use a II corp arty, ill have to have all of to commands blocks on the map, but don't need any blocks of the commands on the other 2 corps.

Not only on the map, but you need three units of the same corps adjacent or adjacent once removed.
bemljj wrote:

2. In what situations can it arise that an attack path is not legal. The not passing through enemy blocks I get. But when can it arise that the shortest path does not pass through the front area. Is this mostly for not attacking blocks behind you? or is it more about limiting your options when there are multiple targets?

This is when you can find a shorter path through your rear area.

bemljj wrote:

3. In continuation with the attack path, it is stated to choose the shortest path using steps. I is this to mean that I can use a facing change (as described in a march move ), or is facing change not an option at all in an attack move?

No, your first move in an attack move must be through your front area. You are not allowed to change facing BEFORE you move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beml jj
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

No, your first move in an attack move must be through your front area. You are not allowed to change facing BEFORE you move.

thanks

Quote:
This is when you can find a shorter path through your rear area

So Basically this is to prevent a block from attacking an enemy block at it's own rear side, even though it is a valid target (in an enemies FoF), it has no legal path (shortest path + move first through front area = not possible) so it cannot attack it.

Quote:

Not only on the map, but you need three units of the same corps adjacent or adjacent once removed.

Oops yeah forgot about that part, but mainly I wanted a clarification about the minimum reserve requirement. I'll add the clarification:

to satisfy the basic minimum reserve requirements for a II corp arty, ill have to have all of two commands blocks (of the II corp) on the map, but don't need any blocks of the other commands of the other 2 corps?

As opposed to - all they need is all blocks of any two commands of a corp (lets say 2 out 3 of the III corps) for minimum reserve requirements of all three types of corp artillery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bemljj wrote:

Quote:
This is when you can find a shorter path through your rear area

So Basically this is to prevent a block from attacking an enemy block at it's own rear side, even though it is a valid target (in an enemies FoF), it has no legal path (shortest path + move first through front area = not possible) so it cannot attack it.

Well, other examples can be found where the enemy block is not directly on the attacking block's rear side. Please read this thread: Guided by the Lee of the Land: an Attack Eligibility Tutorial

bemljj wrote:

to satisfy the basic minimum reserve requirements for a II corp arty, ill have to have all of two commands blocks (of the II corp) on the map, but don't need any blocks of the other commands of the other 2 corps?

Correct.

bemljj wrote:

As opposed to - all they need is all blocks of any two commands of a corp (lets say 2 out 3 of the III corps) for minimum reserve requirements of all three types of corp artillery.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beml jj
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you!

Never mind about the last part, you clarified the issue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.